PDA

View Full Version : ICE Advice!

Wul
12th March 2004, 12:19 AM
No not a weather warning or chime from your OBC!;)

Any of you bass heads got any thoughts on this?

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53481

LnL? Mikeythemini? John(Zoooooom)?

Mini Martyn
12th March 2004, 12:23 AM
It could just be a bad earth!?

Burple
12th March 2004, 12:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

No not a weather warning or chime from your OBC!;)
Any of you bass heads got any thoughts on this?
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53481
LnL? Mikeythemini? John(Zoooooom)?

Hmm... disconnect the RCAs and the activation wire fromthe back of the HU...

Do you still get the whine?
If so.. It might be a dodgy HU.
Did you say you were getting the whine through the rest of the speakers in the car?
One of mine did this a while back... (in my old classic) Finally traced it t the fact water had gotten into the HU, and frazzled something. had me stumpd for weeks, and of course.. it was the last thing that I had left to try that sorted it. (tried another HU and it went away...)
Have you got a spare one you could try in?

alternatively, I have my amp earthed to one of the mounting bolt inside one of the wee cubby holes in the boot (the cable fits *under* the panel - it's a bit fiddly but it will go). Maybe try earthing it there?

Wul
12th March 2004, 01:17 AM
Not got another H/U to try i'm afraid! and the earth for the amp is taken straight off the battery terminal itself at present.

No whine when the activation wire is disconnected. But then this would cut the power circuit to the amp so no juice would be flowing anyways.
Whine when it is connected but the RCA's aren't.
Whine when it is connected and the RCA's are!

If it is the H/U then will be scrapping the sub as I ain't coughing up for a new H/U!

Thanks for the comments so far guys :)

Burple
12th March 2004, 07:33 AM
quote:
No whine when the activation wire is disconnected. But then this would cut the power circuit to the amp so no juice would be flowing anyways.
Whine when it is connected but the RCA's aren't.
Whine when it is connected and the RCA's are!

Looks pretty much for sure it ain't the HU really then :D (phew)...

Try earthing somewhere else?
Take one of the wee cubby hole panels off... and try attaching to the closest bolt... there's a 10mm head one quite close to hand...
see if that help some??

Any response from Mini2??

Gismo
12th March 2004, 07:37 AM
Wul,
I'm not an in car expert, but, i reckon that the ground directly onto the battery is not a good idea, also, have you tried running a wire from the head unit to a suitable ground :question:

Good luck, i'm sure the big boys will be along with better advice ;)

Wul
12th March 2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks again guys - moved the ground to one of the torx screws behind the rear left cubby and it has made a BIG difference - there is still a noticeable whine - but it has improved 10 times!

BS - do you mean take the Ground for the H/U (Black wire) back to the same point as the amp ground in the boot?

Wul
12th March 2004, 04:49 PM
Mikeythemini has posted back - as well as taking the ground elsewhere, he says to run a wire from this point on to the chassis of the H/U - i'm guessing that's what you meant BS.

:)

Gismo
13th March 2004, 04:17 AM
he says to run a wire from this point on to the chassis of the H/U - i'm guessing that's what you meant BS.:)Ahem, takes a bow, of course that's what i meant If that's what Mike says then i can't be wrong 8)

Wul
13th March 2004, 04:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

he says to run a wire from this point on to the chassis of the H/U - i'm guessing that's what you meant BS.:)Ahem, takes a bow, of course that's what i meant If that's what Mike says then i can't be wrong 8)

Heh Heh - I believe you BS!8):clown: