PDA

View Full Version : Fuel shortages

stoney
20th April 2008, 08:42 AM
Fuel shortages warning over strike :ragin:

A planned strike by workers at a giant oil refinery will lead to fuel shortages from next Friday and could cripple supplies for a month, its owners have warned.
Up to 1,200 workers at the Grangemouth site in Scotland will walk out on April 27 and 28 in a row over pensions.
The site's owner, Ineos, said that the industrial action could mean no fuel supplies in Scotland and the North of England for at least a month, although the Unite union has warned that the whole of the UK would be hit.

Ineos said it had been left with no option but to begin shutting down the site - Scotland's only crude oil refinery - immediately. And the company warned that fuel shortages were likely to start as early as next Friday.
Ineos said it had decided on safety grounds to start shutting down Grangemouth because it wanted the site to be safe during the strike period.
The firm said the measures were being forced on it because of the strike, which has been called in protest at plans to close the final salary pension scheme to new workers as well as other changes.
Ineos said it had made concessions to Unite and guaranteed that no changes would be made to existing pensions before next April, and accused the union of "rushing" to take industrial action.
The company said the stoppage would also effectively close down a large proportion of North Sea oil production as well as some gas production which goes through Grangemouth.
Chief executive Tom Crotty said: "This is a huge oil refinery and they (the union) know you can't just turn it on and off like a tap. A month is our best guess but safety considerations will be at the forefront of everything we do."
He warned that the strike threatened the investment as well as hundreds of jobs and would damage the UK economy

please stay on topic !!!!!:hand: all non topic post will be removed :rolleyes:

stoney
20th April 2008, 08:44 AM
well we had all better get a tank full then all you droopers will be ok mind you :moonie:

Scottie
20th April 2008, 09:12 AM
well we had all better get a tank full then all you droopers will be ok mind you :moonie:

Stoney you will be fine afterall V Power is not meant to come from Grangemouth:smilewinkgrin:

The last time I looked the terminal was still owned and operated by BP and there is no mention of them being on strike surely they have stock that can be delivered.

I would say fuel shortages as soon as Friday is a bit of spin surely the supermarkets can haul fuel up from down south to keep there stations open.

I never known the whole plant to do a complete shut down not in the last 28 years anyway that is going to be a nightmare starting everything backup. Remember the trouble they had when trying to restart the hydro cracker. I would say this is the second nail in the coffin for the refinery.

Oh well better get the veg oil looked out.

Craig
20th April 2008, 11:00 AM
well, looks like I will have a wee job to setup another control room/incident room this week...:argh: :rolleyes:

also, got my jerry cans filled up... :thumbs up: but I will prob get fuel from somewhere anyway as the last time there was a fuel shortage I got priority to get fuel as I work for an emergency service.. :cool:

hope it doesn't turn out as bad as the last time...:ragin:

MINI William
20th April 2008, 12:16 PM
hope it brings the price of fuel down as its is just silly now.we are a oil producing nation so when the price of a barrel goes up the goverment get more money so they put the price of fuel up and get even more money just gready :ragin:

illegalhunter
22nd April 2008, 11:18 AM
The price of oil will hit $200 a barrel in the next 18months acording to JP Morgan . The price will never come back down as we have passed "PEAK OIL " google it and see what iam talking about

The Dogfather
22nd April 2008, 12:01 PM
The price will fall if demand falls, that might happen if there's a global recession.