PDA

View Full Version : Off to the dealers this morning......

SimonS
19th April 2008, 09:07 PM
.... to collect our new (to us) MINI.

After much searching we found a Pepper White Cooper S in Grimsby with the spec we wanted and at the right price.

All was arranged for us to get the train down today to collect it until I got a call yesterday at 16:45 to say that there was a problem with the paperwork.

The car, which they had sold new and then taken as a trade-in had, unknown to them, been registered as a 'disabled' vehicle by the previous owner and by the time that the dealer found out the nearest DVLA office (40 miles away in Lincoln) was closed.
We were given two options. We could either delay until Monday - not good as train tickets were already booked and I have to take my other car in for a service in Kirkaldy on Monday - or we could go down today, see the car and sign the paperwork and return in something else.

We took the second option and went down this morning and got to the dealers around 1pm. We were able to see the car for the first time (the deal had been done by phone!) and sort out the paperwork and returned north in a Dooper Clubman. The dealers are sorting out the DVLA on Monday and driving our 'S' up to us and taking the 'D' back south.

I have to say that I was well impressed with our 300mile test drive in the 'D'. We did not hang about and averaged 55mpg on the way back.

I think that a 'big-up' is due to the dealers, Astle Mini, for their handling of this problem. I can think of many other (non mini) dealers that I have dealt with in the past that would have just made us wait. Given the extra cost to them of delivering our car and 600+ miles put on their demonstrator I can say that I am well hapy so far with the service.

Roll on the summer of fun in our mini!

AndyP & Lenore
19th April 2008, 09:20 PM
Simon, that is indeed very good service from your dealer. We shouldn't expect anything else from any dealer as we are at the end of the day buying a premium product and it's not unreasonable to expect a premium service. However, 10/10 to your dealer for helping you out the way they did.

And 11/10 for you doing a deal on a MINI you haven't seen. We tried to do something similar back in November last year. We found a Cooper S R53 on the MINI Cherished web site at a dealer in Stevenage. Spoke to the salesman and asked him to confirm the car was in excellent condition and free of stone chips and so on, and he confirmed all this. So we did the same as you, paid a deposit, booked a train trip, made the trip down only to find the car was a bag of spanners. Spattered in chips down to the metal, ripped carpet in foot wells and bald tyres. Refused to take the car, had our deposit refunded and got a train back home. At least they refunded us our return fayre, but it still left a sour taste in the mouth.

Really pleased your experience has been the absolute opposite of that.

Have fun with your MINI when it arrives and mind and post up some pics.

Our happy ending to our MINI search can be found in this thread. (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14209) :thumbs up:

A.:D

MrMischief
19th April 2008, 10:20 PM
Sounds like you found a great dealer there, good luck with the car when you get it :thumbs up:

We had a slightly sour experience with JC Dundee earlier this week. Had to get the airbag light reset, I've researched the prob & would've liked the harness extension fitted to the connector under the seat to solve it, however they said it wasn't needed & were able to get the light off without too much trouble. "Just bring it in if it comes on again & we'll reset it" £84 please. :frown: I couldn't really argue as the car was bought privately and is out of warranty, but as we're purchasing tlc XL through them, I'd hoped to have had a sweeter deal on such a well known problem.

Ah well, life's a bitch sometimes :laugh:

Craig
20th April 2008, 10:48 AM
Simon,

I did the same thing, bought my last car without seeing it. I can also say it was well worth the journey as I got over £1k more for my trade-in than any scottish dealer and the service I got was superb.:thumbs up:

Your dealer did a great job looking after you and should be applauded for it. :smilewinkgrin:

Hope you enjoy your new car when you get it. :yes nod:

Forbes
20th April 2008, 07:11 PM
I went down to Glasgow for my cooper and got a much better deal. Got a Cooper with better spec and lower miles than i could get a One here.

SimonS
21st April 2008, 08:46 PM
Just to add that our car was delivered, by the salesman himself, this afternoon. I'm seriously impressed with their level of customer service!

AndyP & Lenore
21st April 2008, 08:49 PM
Just to add that our car was delivered, by the salesman himself, this afternoon. I'm seriously impressed with their level of customer service!

Good news Simon!!!

Now..... PICCIES!!:thumbs up: :thumbs up:

SimonS
21st April 2008, 09:19 PM
Well I'm sure you know what a Pepper White Cooper S with Crown spoke alloys looks like but here goes....

http://gallery.mac.com/simon.a.smith/100039/IMG_7781/web.jpg

Replacement wheels are already on order. They should be here in a couple of weeks. More pic's then!

SimonS
21st April 2008, 09:21 PM
...forgot to mention that this is to replace 'her' Rx-8 but she now wants to trade in 'my' Volvo for the Clubman Dooper!

AndyP & Lenore
21st April 2008, 09:24 PM
Very nice.:thumbs up: :cool:

N12 JLK
21st April 2008, 09:35 PM
Very nice, thinking of a Pepper White for our next one:thumbs up: :D :smilewinkgrin:

What wheels you getting

SimonS
21st April 2008, 10:02 PM
What wheels you getting

Wait and see!

Gismo
22nd April 2008, 03:13 AM
...forgot to mention that this is to replace 'her' Rx-8 but she now wants to trade in 'my' Volvo for the Clubman Dooper!
Nowt wrong with that :thumbs up:
Excellent looking PW, that colour will be my next purchase :yes nod:

Need more piccies in the gallery showcase

eddie 44
22nd April 2008, 05:56 PM
Is pepper white the new black , must have colour..:thumbs up:

Bumble
22nd April 2008, 06:53 PM
Nowt wrong with that :thumbs up:
Excellent looking PW, that colour will be my next purchase :yes nod:

Need more piccies in the gallery showcase

it that just to show up the Manky-ness more? :o

ELFMAN
26th April 2008, 08:13 PM
Nice one, Simon - always looks good in black and white. Also good to see someone getting such excellent service - there ARE people who can do their jobs properly! Enjoy your MINI.

Crombers
27th April 2008, 08:26 AM
MINI / Customer Service :eek:

Good news indeed, well impressed & nice car :thumbs up:

illegalhunter
29th April 2008, 08:49 AM
55mpg i can only dream about that , looks good

AeroJonny
29th April 2008, 05:09 PM
Is pepper white the new black , must have colour..:thumbs up:

It would seem so ;)

SimonS
29th April 2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks al for your kind comments. It really seems like we hit a winner with this dealer and the car.

See you on Sunday for the Tay run.