PDA

View Full Version : To Rotary or Porter Cable, that is the question.

AndyP & Lenore
15th April 2008, 09:52 AM
Whether it is nobler in the rotary mind, or ...... Aw crap, I really don't know my Shakespeare.:o

Anyway, thinking about either a rotary or a porter cable for me polishing work. Can't get the words out of my head that I heard somewhere that just using elbow grease alone has little effect when polishing, other than removing small hairline swirls.

Which is best?

Presumably a rotary is much cheaper?

And if I went with a rotary, how easy is it to master?

Would I be best going to a local scrappy and buying a door panel and practicing on that first?

Everyone jump in with their opinions/thoughts/advice - all welcomed. but keep it on topic.

And if our esteemed new owner pops up and asks why I'm bothering, I'll visit him in the small hours and put a bat up his nightdress.:eek: ;)

A.:D

The Dogfather
15th April 2008, 10:05 AM
Esteemed? He's from Montrose so isn't that more likely to be steaming?
:eek: :eek: :D ;)

Bazthemod
15th April 2008, 10:11 AM
I have a Porter Cable and the result i got was 95% correction i have just switched polish to Menzerna and it gives much better results than i was getting with sonus.

I chose PC over rotary as theres far less chance of burning paintwork. From what i have seen on detailing world though every car is unique and needs different combinations of bads and polishing compounds etc.

Meguires have also brought out thier own version of PC and im pretty sure its cheaper ? :confused: not sure how good it is though!

Its also all down to technique, watch videos of the pros on youtube and read through detailing world guides, i practiced on my classic mini and i would say getting an old panel will help build your confidence.

Hope that helps :D

Scottie
15th April 2008, 10:30 AM
I would go PC first. I would go with trying out on an old panel and getting some one who knows how to use them on the paintwork of cars to give you an how to guide plus demonstration

We had a Mequairs PC one up the road and tbh I think it got used about twice a year when moved back down the road it got chucked:o :o.

ianking
15th April 2008, 11:17 AM
Go with a PC first as you wont be able to ruin the paint.
If you want advice as to pads and polish combo then speak to polished bliss. They will tailor a kit for you.

The NEW megs PC is very good and its 230V so no transformer required.
I had a quick shot at the open day.

I would think 3m or Menzerna for the Mini paint but Polished Bliss will give better advice for the budget and the use etc.

AndyP & Lenore
15th April 2008, 01:08 PM
Go with a PC first as you wont be able to ruin the paint.
If you want advice as to pads and polish combo then speak to polished bliss. They will tailor a kit for you.

The NEW megs PC is very good and its 230V so no transformer required.
I had a quick shot at the open day.

I would think 3m or Menzerna for the Mini paint but Polished Bliss will give better advice for the budget and the use etc.

Ian I still have that Poorboys Polish you recommended I buy. Haven't even used it yet as the weather hasn't been dry long enough to think about polishing then waxing.

A.

ianking
15th April 2008, 01:40 PM
Yes poorboys polish by hand but you will need something different for a PC.

AndyP & Lenore
15th April 2008, 07:29 PM
OK. Decided to go for the megs new PC machine. Tried to get hold of polished bliss for two hours today and they were engaged the whole time.:eyes up: Their web site shows it as out of stock so may need to wait for stock to come in. Although other sites are showing it in stock.:rolleyes:

Will see what tomorrow brings.

A.

N12 JLK
15th April 2008, 07:48 PM
The PC as Mr King done a fine job on mine with his one.

AndyP & Lenore
15th April 2008, 07:51 PM
The PC as Mr King done a fine job on mine with his one.

J, I thought that was a rotary that he used.:confused:

A.:confused:

N12 JLK
15th April 2008, 08:04 PM
ah so it was what a spaz:eyes up: , ok Ive changed my mind rotary it, sorry :frown:

Crombers
15th April 2008, 10:22 PM
What the feck are you all talking about :confused: :rolleyes:

Manky to the core, "get it round ye" :hand:

AndyP & Lenore
17th April 2008, 12:33 AM
Ordered this wee beasty (http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store/Product/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=432) today from www.theultimatefinish.co.uk. Along with some Menzerna Polish, pads and some Autosmart Taris from Ploshed Bliss.

A.:cool:

illegalhunter
17th April 2008, 08:26 AM
Ive got a UDM but iam kinda scared to use it on anything but wax incased i feck the paint.

ianking
17th April 2008, 09:00 AM
Deerslayer. You wont be able to feck the paint with a UDM unless you keep it in the same position for 5 mins. Even with Honda super thin water paint. :D

vintageb3
17th April 2008, 06:04 PM
Ian actually this is very bad advice and I'm shocked that i see these words typed by yourself.:argh: :hand: :eek:

It only takes seconds to damage paint with a UDM. All you need to do is stand back six feet...and throw the machine at the car.;)

OK...you were right then:D :laugh: :thumbs up:

mark

N12 JLK
18th April 2008, 09:04 PM
thought it was 7 feet:hand:

dundeered
1st May 2008, 07:36 PM
i got the udm from autopia last year and its perfectly safe to use on a mini from experience.

i would go with menzerna as polish choice as did not think sonus made much impact.
Also udm/pc/megsc220 are great for applying dodo lime on a finishing pad

AndyP & Lenore
1st May 2008, 07:40 PM
My Menzerna F106 arrived yesterday. Just waiting for a dry day now.:thumbs up:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2008, 07:51 PM
Bought the Maguires version of the Portor Cable. Used it for the first time today and the results are here. (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14466)

Sportspack Mark
2nd May 2008, 08:27 PM
I fancy getting one of the new megs polishers, my car is a state at the minute

but id have no idea what stuff to use on it, could you correct the paint using scratch x? or would that not work at all?

my car has been painted along the passenger side before, so that needs a wet sand and buff up to bring it up like the rest of the car, as im a fussy git and notice it all the time