PDA

View Full Version : Help - VW Scirocco

euan
14th April 2008, 09:52 AM
Folks, need some advice for a mate of mine.

He's got an old VW Scirocco, cracking wee car but he's having all sorts of grief with it at the moment and no idea what's going on.

Whenever it's driven for more than 5 minutes at open road speeds (anywhere from 50-80mph), it starts misbehaving. Not easy to explain the symptoms but it's as if there's a hole in the exhaust somewhere - it almost sounds like it's misfiring. The longer it's driven, the less response it gets from the accelerator until it reaches the point where putting the foot down achieves nothing and you have to let it crawl to a stop at the side of the road.

Any ideas?

john
14th April 2008, 09:59 AM
Not easy without seeing the car first hand but try taking off the fuel filler cap and going for a run, could be a tank breather problem, could also be thousands of other things too sadly:confused:

euan
14th April 2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks john, will try that.

I meant to say as well, it's got a manual choke and I can't help thinking that it's a fuelling issue - if the engine was being flooded would you get these symptons? Apparently it fairly eats the petrol.

Craig
14th April 2008, 10:49 AM
I had something similar in a car a few years ago. when even I put my foot down hard, the car started to loose power etc. Turned out the car was drawing air into the fuel lines.. A bit of corrosion had caused a hole on the top of one of the lines, thereby drawing air, but not losing much fuel..

as john says, it's really hard without more info and seeing it.. :o

hope you get it sorted. :)

monkimagic
14th April 2008, 01:08 PM
Sounds like it is running lean, could be holes or corrosion in the fuel line,

how is the fuel filter?

john
14th April 2008, 01:27 PM
Dirt in the flux capacitor?:confused:

euan
14th April 2008, 03:39 PM
Dirt in the flux capacitor?:confused:

It struggles to do 60, never mind 88!:D:D:D

Gismo
14th April 2008, 03:43 PM
Check the elctronic ignition, sounds like a temp related problem, if it's got a distributor cap, check the relays inside it.
Points and condenser if it's that old

euan
14th April 2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, have passed them on and will see what happens. He might end up getting shot of it, I'd be tempted to take it myself as it looks great :-)