PDA

View Full Version : URGENT URGENT URGENT HELP

Mini Martyn
10th March 2004, 07:21 AM
Where can I get new brake pabs for my 2003 MCS, looking for sports ones if possible!!??

Help!!???? :D

minidriver#1
10th March 2004, 08:27 AM
hmmm, newminisport sell the EBC green stuff ones. also i think EBC do red stuff ones now for track usage. 2 day delivery i think.

monkimagic
10th March 2004, 08:52 AM
I would suggest the same. or cool new

MOSS MINI ;)

http://www.moss-mini.co.uk/ShowDetails.asp?id=355

http://www.moss-mini.co.uk/prodimages/big/355.jpg

broken_brian
10th March 2004, 09:48 AM
try and go for the one up from the green stuff as they are a bit on the soft side. i have the green stuff pads fitted to my car and i need to replace them already and they have only been on the car 6 months :eek::eek:

Big Gordy
10th March 2004, 05:27 PM
Christ Brian :eek: are you driving with your foot on the brake ;) I had the green stuff ones on my XR2 for nearly 3 years. Had them on the Mondeho for over a year now and there nowhere near worn out :I Me thinks you had a dodgy set (or you drive like a loonie :p) :p:D:approve:

Wul
10th March 2004, 05:58 PM
Or the pistons on his calipers have partially seized causing the brakes to bind - do you notice the wheels gettting a bit on the hot side after a run?

Wul
10th March 2004, 05:59 PM
Martyn - try calling around some of your local motor factors - you never know some of them may actually have a set of green stuff in stock!

Mini Martyn
10th March 2004, 06:13 PM
Bloody hell just phoned Mini it will be £90 plus VAT just for the front pads from them!!

Thanks for your help every one ive been on a couple of sites and they look to be between £40 - £50 ish.

Ill keep you posted. The good thing is my mum and dad are away for a week so i can drive their cars intill they are sorted.

KenL
10th March 2004, 06:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mini Martyn

Bloody hell just phoned Mini it will be £90 plus VAT just for the front pads from them!!

You've got to be fekkin' jokin' :mad:

£105.75 for four brake pads :mad::mad::mad:

Think I'll be replacing the pads myself when required as by the time you add their rip-off labour charge it will not doubt be about £200 to replace one set of pads :disapprove:

Wul
10th March 2004, 06:48 PM
Ken - unless you time it with a service then you might get it for the parts cost alone - although that is still a RIP OFF! Go get some green stuff when the time comes!

Mini Martyn
10th March 2004, 07:44 PM
Yes I am glad I was sitting down, I mean are the taking the piss or what?

Burple
10th March 2004, 08:41 PM
quote: Me thinks you had a dodgy set (or you drive like a loonie :p) :p:D:approve:

I know where my money is on this one!!! :eek:;):D:D:D:D:cool:

bwah hah hah hah hah...

Starky
10th March 2004, 08:59 PM

Thanks for your help every one ive been on a couple of sites and they look to be between £40 - £50 ish.

Ill keep you posted. The good thing is my mum and dad are away for a week so i can drive their cars intill they are sorted.

I would be looking for them to fit them at that price.:eek:

Mini Martyn
10th March 2004, 09:22 PM
Oops ment to say its supply and fit for £90 plus VAT. :blackeye:

Big Gordy
10th March 2004, 09:37 PM
I can get you a number of a place in Stirling that does Green stuff pads if that's any help :I :p:D:approve:

Big Col
10th March 2004, 10:03 PM
I imagine the number will be a help if they're less than £90 fitted plus fat Big G. ;):p

Big Gordy
10th March 2004, 10:13 PM
He's just a supplier not a fitter I'm afraid :I Anyway pads are dead easy to do yourself :p:D:approve:

KenL
10th March 2004, 11:27 PM

Oops ment to say its supply and fit for £90 plus VAT. :blackeye:

That's a bit better but still pricey. Last time I got pads on my last car the wee independent place I use charged £45 for parts & fitting.

KenL
10th March 2004, 11:34 PM
After the post about the price of pads from dealers I sent a message to someone on MINI2 who is a parts adviser at a dealer down south. He replied saying:

"front pads are £50.00 inc Vat, and the rears are £36.00

thats parts only prices, fitting would be on top, so £90 sounds right for fitted pads."

So anyone wanting to fit themselves the standard ones that's the cost.

Starky
11th March 2004, 03:22 AM
If you're car's still under warranty, for the sake of a few quid, why bother?, just gives dealerships or (heaven forbid) insurance companies a get out clause in the event of a claim or accident.

broken_brian
11th March 2004, 11:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Christ Brian :eek: are you driving with your foot on the brake ;) I had the green stuff ones on my XR2 for nearly 3 years. Had them on the Mondeho for over a year now and there nowhere near worn out :I Me thinks you had a dodgy set (or you drive like a loonie :p) :p:D:approve:

quote:Originally posted by Wul

Or the pistons on his calipers have partially seized causing the brakes to bind - do you notice the wheels gettting a bit on the hot side after a run?

i do drive a bit fast :D plus my discs are tiny 7.5 inch things with 4 pot calipers that need a hefty shove on the brake pedal to make them work due to the brakes being only slightly servo assisted

Mini Martyn
11th March 2004, 07:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Starky

If you're car's still under warranty, for the sake of a few quid, why bother?, just gives dealerships or (heaven forbid) insurance companies a get out clause in the event of a claim or accident.

My insurers wouldnt dare not paying out, you know what I mean!! (Our family owns an insurance brokarage!!) :D

Mini Martyn
11th March 2004, 11:13 PM
£60 all in! Get them fitted at the weekend, they are not racing 1's but they will keep me on the road!? :blackeye:

Tahra
12th March 2004, 01:57 AM
The Green Stuff have the added bonus that they leave your wheels that bit cleaner....its not just an advertising boast !

Mini Martyn
15th March 2004, 07:36 PM
Was just told by my freind that fitted the bakes, that i might need new discs soon, was like WTF, its only a year old and i have done 16000 miles, was in BMW today and asked them about this and they advised that they are finding that the pads are much harder and wear the discs away faster - is this just me or are BMW just trying to get money out of you for everything!! And why dont they make the discs harder then!! :(

Wul
15th March 2004, 08:05 PM
The other nightmare is that when you replace the discs you should do the pads too so they both bed in together - so you'll need to cough up for another set of pads too! :dead::disapprove::mad:

Mini Martyn
15th March 2004, 08:12 PM
Cheers Wul, you really no how to cheer a guy up!! :evil:

Wul
15th March 2004, 10:09 PM

Cheers Wul, you really no how to cheer a guy up!! :evil:

Sorry MM! It's a bugger I know!:(

KenL
15th March 2004, 10:57 PM

The other nightmare is that when you replace the discs you should do the pads too so they both bed in together - so you'll need to cough up for another set of pads too! :dead::disapprove::mad:

That sounds like a right scam to me Wul :mad:

I dinnae believe it :)

Wul
15th March 2004, 11:14 PM
Ken - whenever i was changing the discs on my previous cars (golf and cavalier) i was always told to replace the pads too as the pads will have worn to the shape of the old disc so when you put the new ones on you can cause uneven wear on the discs and pads creating uneven heating/ warping etc, most brake replacement guides tell you to do both at the same time when changing the discs http://www.carcentral.net/content/guides/HowToServiceDiscBrakes.php

KenL
16th March 2004, 12:17 AM

Ken - whenever i was changing the discs on my previous cars (golf and cavalier) i was always told to replace the pads too as the pads will have worn to the shape of the old disc so when you put the new ones on you can cause uneven wear on the discs and pads creating uneven heating/ warping etc, most brake replacement guides tell you to do both at the same time when changing the discs http://www.carcentral.net/content/guides/HowToServiceDiscBrakes.php

OK OK OK I believe you now Wul :p:D

So it seems like "if" the discs will soon need replaced but your pads do now you might as well get both done.

I am concerned though about the amount of people reporting needing new discs on their MINI. I have never on any of my cars had to have any brake discs replaced.

Big Gordy
16th March 2004, 01:20 AM
Well KenL you've never owned a F**d then have you :eek: Had my XR2 for 16 years went through 3 sets in 85,000 miles (OE,Black Diamond and EBC) and my Mondeho now 6 years old is on its 2nd set in 90,000 miles (OE and EBC) :p:D:approve:

Starky
16th March 2004, 03:17 AM
It makes sense to change the pads as well as the discs at the same time, you have more contact, surface to surface, making braking more efficient, I have done this on older cars, no problem.

KenL
16th March 2004, 05:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Well KenL you've never owned a F**d then have you :eek: Had my XR2 for 16 years went through 3 sets in 85,000 miles (OE,Black Diamond and EBC) and my Mondeho now 6 years old is on its 2nd set in 90,000 miles (OE and EBC) :p:D:approve:

Is you talkin' pads or discs Big G?

I've had two Ford Fiestas both of which I had for 60 000 miles. I did change pads on both of them once but never discs.

My last car (a Punto 85sx - no laughin OK, it was a good car :))I had for 37k miles and changed the front pads at 36k and they would have been good for a few k more.