PDA

View Full Version : Rain X...

gauldrymini
8th April 2008, 08:08 AM
Applied on sunday afternoon as per instructions and initially thought that it would solve my driver wiper judder and the windscreen was "beading" well when car was parked up...but having driver home yesterday in the rain the visiblity when using wipers was poor with a alot of "smearing" and the juddering seemed worse:confused:

Sharon is off to JC Parts today to get a new driver wiper to see if this helps...does anyone have any advice of the "smearing" haze issue??:(

Cheers
Andrew

Gismo
8th April 2008, 08:15 AM
Well, i'm probably out of my depth in here :eek:
But, was your car brand new?? reason i ask is, maybe the screen still has some chemical on it left over from shipping and transporting.
If so, how seriously did you clean the screen prior to applying the rain x??

Did you give the wiper a clean as well?? i know it's hard to believe :rolleyes: but i use neat screen wash on a rag for the blades.

Maybe a new blade will cure it :)

euan
8th April 2008, 08:40 AM
Whenever I've seen that problem it's usually been a problem with the blade.

But as BS says, the screen needs to be very clean before you put Rain X on or you'll get streaking. I'd take it back to a clean screen (using something like vinegar to strip it clean) and then reapply rain x when you put on your new blades.

gauldrymini
8th April 2008, 09:08 AM
Vinegar added to this week's shopping list...:)

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2008, 09:53 AM
I've used similar products to rain X in the past and they all work - some to a greater or lesser degree. But they are all heavy going to apply. Easy enough to go on, but to buff them off it takes a lot of elbow grease. The window really does have to look as if nothing is there. If there is any greasy bits left it wont work.

Could it possibly be that you didn't buff it properly after applying?:confused: :o

A.:D

gauldrymini
8th April 2008, 10:52 AM
Hi Andy

Yeah could have been a buffing issue, maybe not enough effort but the screen looked fine:confused: ...a potential "school boy error"

Cheers
Andrew

KenL
8th April 2008, 06:50 PM
It is NOT easy to remove Rain-X.

I emailed the maker with my complaints about it and the told me how to remove it. I can't remember what they suggested but it was not a normal household thing like vinegar.

gauldrymini
9th April 2008, 10:23 AM
It is NOT easy to remove Rain-X.

I emailed the maker with my complaints about it and the told me how to remove it. I can't remember what they suggested but it was not a normal household thing like vinegar.

KenL

If you do recall can you let me know? Cleaned screen with vinegar and it did improve a bit but what really helped was a new wiper from JC Parts... :) I think Rain-X and i are no longer friends

Andrew

Burple
9th April 2008, 11:12 AM
The first time you put it on.. especially on relatively 'new' windows.. it appears that it doesn't always 'take' that well.
The first couple of applications on my car when it was new it was like that. And the old Cooper, when I had to get the passenger front window repalced, it was stubborn on that one too...

Pretty sure the Clay bar helped remove some of it.. but I can't remember now :D

The Dogfather
9th April 2008, 12:54 PM
You need a solvent to remove rain-X

KenL
10th April 2008, 07:09 PM
You need a solvent to remove rain-X

I worked at a place where I could get isopropyl alcohol. When I suggested if I should use that, they said it would not remove it! That really surprised me :eek:

Found these on google:

http://www.gtglass.com/product_detail/163.html
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1367

The Bull
12th April 2008, 12:36 AM
I use Rain x, but never on the windscreen, just the back and the sides. Due to the smearing you get.

illegalhunter
17th April 2008, 08:27 AM
Its MURDER to buff off

vintageb3
17th April 2008, 06:20 PM
I worked at a place where I could get isopropyl alcohol.

I worked at a place where I could get manure. Now....that really was the ****!:laugh: :rolleyes: :D

mark

m44rkr
2nd May 2008, 09:55 AM
ive used rain X Wipes .

they worked excellent - to the extent that my wipers are not even needed with rain gushing down. The water tends to just run up the window and away.

You can see perfectly clear and its funny seeing every one else driving with the wipers going like the clappers.:smilewinkgrin:

so , id say get them.

But like most people have said. Have the window super clean first.:thumbs up: