PDA

View Full Version : are PRIVATE MESSAGES realy PRIVATE

stoney
5th April 2008, 02:22 PM
ok i think your pm's with other members should be private and not consern others

now i had some pm's from my self and another member i went to send one back to him last night and i could not he has told me that they have been supended :eek:

i dont think this is fair :( as he was only helping me out and it was very much of a help to my self

so should are pm be PRIVATE ???

CAST YOUR VOTE

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2008, 02:51 PM
Rob, I can categorically guarantee you any PM's which are sent are private. There is an add-on which can be installed as part of vBulletin, which does allow Administrators to view Private Messages. However, this HAS NOT BEEN installed on this discussion board.

I know exactly what has given rise to this question from you. The other "user" you refer to is an employee of a FORMER sponsoring dealer. This user has been breaking forum rules by continuing to use this web site for commercial purposes, by using the PM and email facility built in.

As such, this user has had their PM and email privileges withdrawn.

No other user is affected by this action.

AndyP
Admin.

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2008, 02:56 PM
I should add that this was seen as the fairest way of dealing with the problem, without going to a full ban of this users access to the site. But this user has been warned that any further breaches of the "no non-sponsoring commercial use" rule, will result in a ban.

A.:(

stoney
5th April 2008, 03:03 PM
Rob, I can categorically guarantee you any PM's which are sent are private. There is an add-on which can be installed as part of vBulletin, which does allow Administrators to view Private Messages. However, this HAS NOT BEEN installed on this discussion board.

I know exactly what has given rise to this question from you. The other "user" you refer to is an employee of a FORMER sponsoring dealer. This user has been breaking forum rules by continuing to use this web site for commercial purposes, by using the PM and email facility built in.

As such, this user has had their PM and email privileges withdrawn.

AndyP
Admin.

so if pm are private then how do you know this he has not been posting as such to say its this or this he has just been responding to users and geting them the best help he can

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2008, 04:05 PM
so if pm are private then how do you know this he has not been posting as such to say its this or this he has just been responding to users and getting them the best help he can

Because I asked him and he said so. Which is to his credit, but doesn't change the fact it is a breach of rules.

Also, any member can see what other members are doing when logged on using this page on the site. (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/online.php)

I've sat at my PC, watched the user in question view the dealer questions forum, view members questions in that forum, then PM that member that asked the question.

I realise the member in question has been very helpful in the past, and this action is nothing personal but a breach of the rules is a breach of the rules.

But, this is Alan's site, I'm only doing as I'm asked, so any further comments / input need to come from Alan.

Andrew

Craig
5th April 2008, 05:53 PM
Yes, PM's are private. :D

nuff said. :cool:

Big Gordy
5th April 2008, 05:58 PM
I can't make out any of stone's posts anyway:eek:they must be in code:rolleyes:;):p:D

Scottie
5th April 2008, 06:06 PM

AndyP
Admin.

Technically thats not exactly accurate. It has would you believe it affected me.:eek: :eek: :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2008, 07:07 PM
Technically thats not exactly accurate. It has would you believe it affected me.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fi, sent you a PM. However, maybe that won't get to you. So can you tell me how this has affected you. Call me if you like. You have my number.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2008, 07:14 PM
Rob, in all fairness to this particular thread.... I need to point out an inconsistency with the title and poll question.....

Thread title is: ARE your Private messages private?
Poll question is: SHOULD your private messages be private?

People's opinion on the two questions could be very different and I'm not sure which one you want to use.

I'm happy to change the title of the question for you, or the title of the poll for you, but I need to know which one is the one you want left. Let me know.

A.:D

Scottie
5th April 2008, 08:07 PM
Fi, sent you a PM. However, maybe that won't get to you. So can you tell me how this has affected you. Call me if you like. You have my number.

A.

Andy why wouldn't a PM get to me:confused: :confused: anyway as it's a private matter I have replied to your pm.:D I hope it gets to you ok.:confused: :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2008, 08:17 PM
Andy why wouldn't a PM get to me:confused: :confused: anyway as it's a private matter I have replied to your pm.:D I hope it gets to you ok.:confused: :rolleyes:

'Cos I thought I'd stopped your PM facility as well by accident.:eek: :eek:

Got your PM.;)

Scottie
5th April 2008, 08:30 PM
'Cos I thought I'd stopped your PM facility as well by accident.:eek: :eek:

Got your PM.;)

GOOD GOD MAN next you will be banning me.:D

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2008, 08:31 PM
GOOD GOD MAN next you will be banning me.:D

lol

Hey, just doin' ma job.;) :o :(

Gismo
6th April 2008, 06:05 AM
ok i think your pm's with other members should be private and not consern others

now i had some pm's from my self and another member i went to send one back to him last night and i could not he has told me that they have been supended :eek:

i dont think this is fair :( as he was only helping me out and it was very much of a help to my self

so should are pm be PRIVATE ???

CAST YOUR VOTE
Rob, i can confirm without doubt that PM's are private, no one on NMS can read a PM unless they were the sender or the recipient.
I can also confirm i agree with your point that they should be private.

As you found out, you were unable to PM a certain member through the normal NMS route, yet you were still able to communicate with that member, so, no real harm done??

As the site owner of NMS, i have a duty to protect the paying commercial sponsors who are prepared to support the site.
I simply cannot allow the PM system to be used for a non paying sponsor to further their business.

It's thanks to the generosity of the commercial sponsors that helps to keep NMS afloat and allow us, the members, to enjoy the forums for what they are.
The spirit of the site has always been to encourage the use of the sponsors wherever possible.

Anyone requiring any further clarification regarding commercial posting simply send me an e-mail or a PM and i'll answer any questions you may have :)

stoney
6th April 2008, 07:19 PM
ok no prob just seemed a bit strange that was all but you guys are the boss's;)

just nice to know where you can get the best deal :D

Big Gordy
6th April 2008, 09:23 PM
ok no prob just seemed a bit strange that was all but you guys are the boss's;)

just nice to know where you can get the best deal :D

Come on Stoney:eek: Have you no scruples at all:(

vintageb3
7th April 2008, 07:33 AM
As the site owner of NMS, i have a duty to protect the paying commercial sponsors who are prepared to support the site.

I agree with this 100%. But I find it difficult to understand why his PM's are getting blocked. As long as the individual/dealer are not blatantly advertising on public areas of the site...where's the harm in him using PM's?

Its not too difficult to guess who the individual was and what dealer. Have to say that the individual in question was the best thing about that dealer. That dealer lost my business...other than parts...simply because the service and good prices I received from that individual.

I think that individual made "friends" here on NMS...and got into the spirit of things here. Because of the actions of his employer he has lost that connection. I feel that the individual is a genuine person and was genuinely trying to help "friends" here on NMS.

I haven't needed any parts since the dealer lost the faith....and haven't used PM to contact this individual...other than to chase up an order placed before the dealer split. That was some time ago...

Before the dealer split....a lot of us used that individual...and were quite friendly with him. I don't feel right just turning my back on him now...just because of his boss....and NMS politics:eek:

If that individual moved to any of the other dealers...and certainly would be happier though!

I will simply use the phone now....and Stoney could do the same.

Just my two Bobs worth.

mark

N12 JLK
7th April 2008, 08:40 PM
This is a great thread:)