PDA

View Full Version : Possible new forum

AeroJonny
3rd April 2008, 12:12 PM
After hearing a lot of people talking about a new forum for the cars, can I suggest the nms garage?? We can all have threads dedicated to our cars and post wee updates and new photos as we change them.

Then we can post 'how to' guides of our mods in that forum.

Craig
3rd April 2008, 12:17 PM
Jonny, the "How To" forum has already been created for as it says How To guides to be added. I don't think we would want to confuse things with having another one within a different forum. Just my thoughts tho..;)

I am sure that Alan is looking into the possiblility of an NMS Garage as you call it, so that users can show off their pride and joy and also how the car may "evolve".... :D

AndyP & Lenore
3rd April 2008, 12:48 PM
I was having a look at the vBulletin forums and it seems their is a option on v3.7 for a simple users gallery, which will probably do the job. But we are using V3.6. It's gonna be a scary task for any of us to upgrade to V3.7. But if that's what we need to do, I'm sure Alan will look at that.

A.:D

The Dogfather
3rd April 2008, 01:08 PM
Not sure it's too scary a task for someone who knows what they're doing but server space for all the photos might be an issue.

Gismo
3rd April 2008, 01:20 PM
Trust me folks, a garage or gallery is something that i will be looking into in the very near future, that and some more smilies, Andy's fed up of this one :rolleyes:
It'll all be down to bandwidth and as soon as i see the figures and what is allowed compared to what we already have i'll make the decision then.

As for the how to to be included in the garage or gallery, as Craig has mentioned, there is already a how to forum, i would prefer that the two are seperated, fine the garage can show all your new mods etc, then a simple link to the how to forum

vintageb3
3rd April 2008, 04:57 PM
I really can't see the need for a "garage' thread....but I'm willing to get into the spirit of things...and kick things off:

Here's my baby:

http://queenofsubtle.com/rt/photos/shack.jpg

Can't wait to see to see your pics;)

mark

illegalhunter
3rd April 2008, 10:30 PM
Your a great joiner Mark

N12 JLK
3rd April 2008, 10:33 PM
a va-joiner;)

AeroJonny
3rd April 2008, 10:57 PM
Jonny, the "How To" forum has already been created for as it says How To guides to be added. I don't think we would want to confuse things with having another one within a different forum. Just my thoughts tho..;)

I am sure that Alan is looking into the possiblility of an NMS Garage as you call it, so that users can show off their pride and joy and also how the car may "evolve".... :D

I know it has craig, that's exactly where I was saying the how to guides should be posted.

My thinking was that by adding a garage section and showing each new thing we do to our cars it would promote the use of the how to forum. So, post a new mod in the (forthcoming??) garage section for your car, then show the eager masses how you did it in the (existing) how to forum.

vintageb3
3rd April 2008, 10:58 PM
OK OK!!!!...I admit i could have done a bit better sheeting the roof:rolleyes:but the framing is kinda OK;) .......maybe:( :o :D

mark

AeroJonny
3rd April 2008, 10:59 PM
I was having a look at the vBulletin forums and it seems their is a option on v3.7 for a simple users gallery, which will probably do the job. But we are using V3.6. It's gonna be a scary task for any of us to upgrade to V3.7. But if that's what we need to do, I'm sure Alan will look at that.

A.:D

I wasn't meaning the addition of an actual gallery as such, more of a forum where the each owner/car has it's own thread and you put your pics in your own thread.

AeroJonny
3rd April 2008, 11:00 PM
As for the how to to be included in the garage or gallery, as Craig has mentioned, there is already a how to forum, i would prefer that the two are seperated, fine the garage can show all your new mods etc, then a simple link to the how to forum

That's basically what i mean.

vintageb3
3rd April 2008, 11:05 PM
a va-joiner;)

va=Very Attentive????:rolleyes:

Didnae think ye meant that:eek: :D

mark

Scottie
3rd April 2008, 11:32 PM
That's basically what i mean.

AJ are talking like what they have on the bmw forums??

A members Journal section

http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/

It's actually very good I used them when I had my BMW to get ideas from.

AeroJonny
4th April 2008, 01:34 AM
That's exactly what I'm getting at Fi, there's one on another forum I use which makes great reading! Thanks for providing an example!:D

Gismo
4th April 2008, 05:21 AM
A members Journal section

http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/

It's actually very good I used them when I had my BMW to get ideas from.I can't access that Fi, i can see that there is a forum dedicated to a members journal, but, i can't access the page cause i'm no registered.
So, is it just basically a forum with a dedicated thread for each member?

That's exactly what I'm getting at Fi, there's one on another forum I use which makes great reading! Thanks for providing an example!:DCan you send me a link so that i can see what you're getting at??
Note, i'm not gonna register on various sites just to see, so, hopefully the sites are not restricted

Gismo
4th April 2008, 08:07 AM
Managed to have a look at Fi's link ;)
Ok, that just seems to be a forum where folks post up their motors and generally keep it updated, i did notice for sale threads as well as other off topic threads as well.
That is an easy option to implement as the piccies are mostly hosted on the likes of photbucket and not on the actual forum site.

I'm more than happy to add a forum that follows that format, though, i would insist on no off topic stuff and only the original poster can post on his/her thread.
Any additional posts will be deleted out to keep the forum on topic.
Any queries or compliments could be PM'd and any "how to's" would have to be placed in the How To forum :) with a simple link if required.

Since this is a heavily requested topic i'm looking for some feedback if this is the format that will be acceptable to the majority :)

One thing to remember, the more folks post up their car(s) the more threads will be created the quicker threads will disappear off the 1st page and then it'll become more search intensive

AndyP & Lenore
4th April 2008, 08:25 AM
Managed to have a look at Fi's link ;)
Ok, that just seems to be a forum where folks post up their motors and generally keep it updated, i did notice for sale threads as well as other off topic threads as well.
That is an easy option to implement as the piccies are mostly hosted on the likes of photbucket and not on the actual forum site.

I'm more than happy to add a forum that follows that format, though, i would insist on no off topic stuff and only the original poster can post on his/her thread.
Any additional posts will be deleted out to keep the forum on topic.
Any queries or compliments could be PM'd and any "how to's" would have to be placed in the How To forum :) with a simple link if required.

Since this is a heavily requested topic i'm looking for some feedback if this is the format that will be acceptable to the majority :)

One thing to remember, the more folks post up their car(s) the more threads will be created the quicker threads will disappear off the 1st page and then it'll become more search intensive

Alan, I tend to think, for the reason above, a simple forum won't do what we're trying to achieve.

As much as it delays things for a short while, probably best to hold off until vBulletin is upgraded and the gallery facility is switched on.

If you start a new forum now, eventually you'll want to do a gallery and that will just mean folk putting their "pic page" up twice, it would end up with 2 half systems, instead of 1 good one. If I'm making sense.:o

A:D

Scottie
4th April 2008, 08:48 AM
I'm not bothered either way tbh.

from the other sites that I am a member of the "members journal" has been another section of the forum just like off topic and in there people start their own thread about their car.

Detailing the changes they have made etc etc and posting pictures along the way.

Myself, I don't think it would be a section that is going to have 100's of thread in it. Even if a 100 members started a thread about their own car that would be what 2 maybe 3 pages don't see it having that much of an impact tbh.

A gallery to me is just a place to park your pictures for folks to view.

The Dogfather
4th April 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm with Andy, I think a proper gallery would be a better option rather than a quick fix. However if there's a choice between no gallery and a gallery forum, then a gallery forum would be ok, but perhaps people should be able to moderate their own thread so people can post questions etc, a bit like Wul had with the polishing forum.

Gismo
4th April 2008, 08:55 AM
From what i can tell about actual galleries, which can be done, just requires a plug in, is that only actual pictures are posted and fully searchable via the gallery by the first initial of the username with the thumbnail shots then clicked to reveal the bigger picture.

A dedicated forum would allow folks to create a wee story showing the mods as they progress, but the pictures would have to be hosted elsewhere, like we do just now.

I'm not fussed really either way, i'm more interested in what the members would prefer :)

Scottie
4th April 2008, 09:01 AM
Alan, I think that is what AJ is on about having a dedicated section so members can right up on their cars and mods etc etc right through to when they sell them. So mines will be a nice wee short story.

The gallery is a whole different ball game not to be confused with what AJ is asking. Well that's how I understand it but I might be wrong as to what he wants.

A dedicated forum would allow folks to create a wee story showing the mods as they progress, but the pictures would have to be hosted elsewhere, like we do just now.

:)

Gismo
4th April 2008, 09:03 AM
I'm with Andy, I think a proper gallery would be a better option rather than a quick fix. However if there's a choice between no gallery and a gallery forum, then a gallery forum would be ok, but perhaps people should be able to moderate their own thread so people can post questions etc, a bit like Wul had with the polishing forum.
It's not feasible to make people mods of their own forum, we would end up with as many mods as users, but hey, we could allow the threads to have comments, it's not absolutely essential that we limit to only picturs from the user.
If the option is taken to host the pictures elsewhere then it has little impact on the site

Gismo
4th April 2008, 09:04 AM
Alan, I think that is what AJ is on about having a dedicated section so members can right up on their cars and mods etc etc right through to when they sell them. So mines will be a nice wee short story.

The gallery is a whole different ball game not to be confused with what AJ is asking. Well that's how I understand it but I might be wrong as to what he wants.
That's how i saw it as well, i just thought i could offer the gallery option at the same time :)
Lets see what he says when he logs on

The Dogfather
4th April 2008, 09:31 AM
Alan, I thought it was possible for thread owners to have the power to mod their own thread without actually being a mod? We looked at something similar for the Trade Association Forums.

Gismo
4th April 2008, 09:33 AM
Alan, I thought it was possible for thread owners to have the power to mod their own thread without actually being a mod? We looked at something similar for the Trade Association Forums.
Yes, it is possible to do that :) but, not sure i want to go down that road, we have moderators onboard that can take care of any pruning, besides, the original poster can edit his/her own posts

The Dogfather
4th April 2008, 09:37 AM
OK, you're the boss ;)

AndyP & Lenore
4th April 2008, 11:17 AM
Posted from my phone, so forgive the formatting.

coming round to the idea of an actual forum for posting pics and showcasing mods etc. but would Suggest there would need to be some strict rules on posting and thread maintenance.

The Dogfather
4th April 2008, 11:26 AM
Like no for sale posts

AndyP & Lenore
4th April 2008, 01:39 PM
Like no for sale posts

No. Thats a given. What i mean is we need to come up with some strict rules on how a thread is structured, as in do we allow conversations in the thread after the initial post has gone up? Or should the thread be kept to just the owners posts? Also, the thread title should be descriptive of what the thread contains. E.g. "Hyper blue S. White roof." not: "here's pics of my mini" Would make it easier to find what your looking for.

Craig
4th April 2008, 04:05 PM
I think a gallery forum would be better IMHO.

you could see a car evolve from when it was bought to present day. I know some owners don't see the value in modifiing, but there are those out there that do it as a hobby and LOVE to do it and show the changes. Also gives other people an idea of how something will look. :cool:

I think that the threads should be allowed for questions, afterall if someone has fitted say a new exhaust, and someone likes the look of it, it would make more sense to ask there where did they get it, how much, is it loud etc etc etc, rather than another thread in another forum, linking back to it... think it could get rather confusing.. :confused: Just my thoughts tho.

What we could create after that is a sticky at the top of it, with some of the best photos from the thread and then someone could make up a calendar ;) Does anyone remember that idea ? :D

stoney
4th April 2008, 06:15 PM
confused i am :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Gismo
5th April 2008, 07:29 AM
I think a gallery forum would be better IMHO.
I think that the threads should be allowed for questions, afterall if someone has fitted say a new exhaust, and someone likes the look of it, it would make more sense to ask there where did they get it, how much, is it loud etc etc etc, rather than another thread in another forum, linking back to itA gallery is only that, you cannot post or ask questions, pictures only ;) thumbnails that open to bigger pictures.

AeroJonny
6th April 2008, 08:42 AM
Can you send me a link so that i can see what you're getting at??
Note, i'm not gonna register on various sites just to see, so, hopefully the sites are not restricted

http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

That should do the trick ;)

AeroJonny
6th April 2008, 08:45 AM
Alan, I tend to think, for the reason above, a simple forum won't do what we're trying to achieve.

As much as it delays things for a short while, probably best to hold off until vBulletin is upgraded and the gallery facility is switched on.

If you start a new forum now, eventually you'll want to do a gallery and that will just mean folk putting their "pic page" up twice, it would end up with 2 half systems, instead of 1 good one. If I'm making sense.:o

A:D

I'm not being funny, but do we have enough reqularly posting members for this to be a huge problem, the forum would probably be 2-3 pages long MAX!

AeroJonny
6th April 2008, 08:49 AM

We're reading from the same hymn sheet ;)

AeroJonny
6th April 2008, 08:53 AM
No. Thats a given. What i mean is we need to come up with some strict rules on how a thread is structured, as in do we allow conversations in the thread after the initial post has gone up? Or should the thread be kept to just the owners posts? Also, the thread title should be descriptive of what the thread contains. E.g. "Hyper blue S. White roof." not: "here's pics of my mini" Would make it easier to find what your looking for.

I'd honestly say to allow people to post in the threads, as people will naturally enjoy opinions of other members and possible suggestions for future mods. Maybe that's because I'm pretty easygoing about that sort of stuff though and am a fan of very little moderation.

All imho of course :)

Gismo
6th April 2008, 09:05 AM
http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

That should do the trick ;)
Thanks AJ, that format is ok by me, though it's very close to the How To forum, i need to think if the two could actually be combined, why not post up your story in the how to forum and i'll see what it looks like :)
If i have to i can create a dedicated forum, change the existing one or think of summat else.
One thing though, the piccies will have to be hosted elsewhere and the max piccie size must be 800 x 600 pixels.
I'll work on a set of rules and post in the forum :)

AeroJonny
6th April 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm hoping I'll have a new story to start in the next week or so, so watch this space ;) There won't be any 'how to' guides related to it for a wee while tho:D

Gismo
8th April 2008, 11:39 AM
I'm hoping I'll have a new story to start in the next week or so, so watch this space ;) There won't be any 'how to' guides related to it for a wee while tho:D
That's fine by me :)
That goes for anyone else wanting to show off their motor, basically make up your wee story board detailing the mods or simply showing off your car in a progressive manner of still piccies.
Responses will be allowed so the original poster can repsond to folks questions.
The forum will be moderated to ensure that the piccie size is strictly adhered to, max 800 x 600 pixels and must be hosted on a suitable site :)
As already mentioned, i'll keep this in the how to forum just now until we see the amount of interest and how it "sits" with the how to, maybe both can be combined, time will tell

Scottie
8th April 2008, 11:43 AM
That's fine by me :)
That goes for anyone else wanting to show off their motor, basically make up your wee story board detailing the mods or simply showing off your car in a progressive manner of still piccies.
Responses will be allowed so the original poster can repsond to folks questions.
The forum will be moderated to ensure that the piccie size is strictly adhered to, max 800 x 600 pixels and must be hosted on a suitable site :)
As already mentioned, i'll keep this in the how to forum just now until we see the amount of interest and how it "sits" with the how to, maybe both can be combined, time will tell

are we allowed clickable thumbnails.:p :rolleyes: ;) :D

Gismo
8th April 2008, 12:22 PM
In fact, a dedicated forum will be set up instead of combining the two :)
Then, we'll see how the "How To" and the "Gallery" compare :)

New forum here (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)

AeroJonny
8th April 2008, 02:36 PM
I think they should compliment each other well.

Thanks for adding the new forum BS:D

Gismo
8th April 2008, 02:40 PM
I think they should compliment each other well.

Thanks for adding the new forum BS:D
Your welcome :)
Looking forward to seeing both forums filling up :)

Scottie
8th April 2008, 09:18 PM
Just an idea on the other forums that have a section like what we have now.

The author of the thread puts a link into their thread.

This link is for anyone that wants to talk anything off topic it links through to another thread created in the off topic and banter section.

That way is saves mod have to be busy all the time and it won't populate off topic and banter either as it's only the one thread that will die away and then come back again should anyone click and post on it.

Just an idea, hope you understand what I mean to sum up

one thread in the showcase forum and one thread in the off topic you just click within the showcase thread and it will take you to the offtopic thread.

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2008, 09:23 PM
I know what you mean Fi. Have you seen this in other forums?

Scottie
8th April 2008, 09:54 PM
I know what you mean Fi. Have you seen this in other forums?

yes. E30 zone I'm sure they do it.

It's just a case of the originator creating 2 threads one in the showcase part of the forum and another in off topic and banter.

They put a link of their off topic banter thread into their showcase thread and if you want to talk off topic then a poster clicks on the link and starts posting.

Saves you guys having to mod all the time and saves multi threads in off topic.

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2008, 09:58 PM
yes. E30 zone I'm sure they do it.

It's just a case of the originator creating 2 threads one in the showcase part of the forum and another in off topic and banter.

They put a link of their off topic banter thread into their showcase thread and if you want to talk off topic then a poster clicks on the link and starts posting.

Saves you guys having to mod all the time and saves multi threads in off topic.

That makes sense Fi. Craig and I have had to do a bit of modding tonight as it is. As you know. Will see what Alan makes of this in the morning.

A.;)

AeroJonny
8th April 2008, 10:44 PM
whats wrong with a bit of banter in these threads?

Scottie
8th April 2008, 10:46 PM

good housekeeping;) :D :eek:

Gismo
9th April 2008, 06:15 AM
No real problem with banter ;) however, the forum is intended to be able to allow the members to show their cars off, once replies start to mount up and a few pages are created i think the thread will lose it's direction a wee bit, just my thoughts, but anyone looking at the showcase will also then have to trawl through the banter to get to a stage whereby they can reply something that hasn't already been mentioned.
I can see merits for keeping all the comments on one thread as well :)

The banter thread is the most popular and always carries a lot of active threads, so, to have multiple links into the OT&B thread from the showcase and have the normal OT&B traffic as well may be too much.

So, let's stay the way we are and see what type of "banter" appears in the showcase threads, but, of course, i'm open to suggestions :)

AeroJonny
9th April 2008, 01:17 PM
I think you're right in allowing some banter in people's threads, from experience it'll more than likely stick to compliments/questions about the cars and their mods. If someone has a problem with something said in his/her thread, then they can quite easily raise it with a mod:)

AndyP & Lenore
9th April 2008, 06:35 PM
I think you're right in allowing some banter in people's threads, from experience it'll more than likely stick to compliments/questions about the cars and their mods. If someone has a problem with something said in his/her thread, then they can quite easily raise it with a mod:)

Jonny, I don't think any of us regard compliments or questions about the featured car as banter. I think we're more interested in stopping threads drifting into non-relevant topics.

A.;)

AeroJonny
11th April 2008, 03:28 AM
fair play;) I guess everyone's tastes are different, I don't want my thread (when I get to it) moderated at all. It can be where everyone comes to hang out, where everyone knows your name... ;)