PDA

View Full Version : Bluefin ecu remap?

weemini
2nd April 2008, 11:15 PM
Hey guys

One more sleep till untill we pick up our cooper, Can't wait!!
Just looking at ecu remaps, and came across the superchip bluefin thing... Anybody know if they're any good? Anybody fitted one and what sort of perfomance gains can i expect? Little worried it could damage the engine?

Thanks again

Brad

Craig
2nd April 2008, 11:20 PM
Brad,

the superchips bluefin has been around for sometime and I have not heard of anyone having engine problems because of it. I think RyanK has it fitted to his One, so he may be able to tell you what he thinks.

I think it gives about 10bhp increase for a Cooper, but from what I have read, it's lower down you will notice the big difference.

It's something I am already looking into getting done... ;) :)

weemini
2nd April 2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah from what I've read already it sounds great... Like the fact you can reset the ecu back to factory standards. Guessing it won't be as great on fuel and could invalidate your warranty

Bazthemod
3rd April 2008, 12:14 AM
I installed it on my One makes it a totally different car, best money i have ever spent!! :p:D:p

You find noise gets better and MPG actually goes up slightly!:cool:

Plus after 4k it feels bit like a vtec kicking in ;)

Gismo
3rd April 2008, 04:33 AM
The Cooper is very hard to to tune to any great degree :(
My last Cooper suffered from the stumble and i got an MTH remap which cured it :)
As for more power, i didn't notice any, but, no dyno to prove or disprove, in any event i wasn't looking for more power ;)
The car did run far more smoother with better throttle delivery and with a slightly higher rev range.
MPG was in fact improved, though marginally.

rpn
3rd April 2008, 07:54 AM
Is it a DIY job? What's involve in setting it up?

illegalhunter
3rd April 2008, 08:59 AM
You wont look back after a remap

Gismo
3rd April 2008, 09:04 AM
Is it a DIY job? What's involve in setting it up?
I'm sure the bluefin goes into the port under the steering wheel, it replaces the current map with it's own, but, stores your BMW map on the device so that when you need to revert it back again you still have it.

weemini
3rd April 2008, 09:48 AM
I'm sure the bluefin goes into the port under the steering wheel, it replaces the current map with it's own, but, stores your BMW map on the device so that when you need to revert it back again you still have it.

That's spot of ref bluefin, it asks you a few yes/no questions and takes about 5 mins to do.

weemini
3rd April 2008, 09:49 AM
The Cooper is very hard to to tune to any great degree :(
My last Cooper suffered from the stumble and i got an MTH remap which cured it :)
As for more power, i didn't notice any, but, no dyno to prove or disprove, in any event i wasn't looking for more power ;)
The car did run far more smoother with better throttle delivery and with a slightly higher rev range.
MPG was in fact improved, though marginally.

So what is a MTH remap? Would you say they're better? What about cost and will it be harder to hide from bmw than the bluefin that can be easliy removed.
Thanks

Craig
3rd April 2008, 10:24 AM
So what is a MTH remap? Would you say they're better? What about cost and will it be harder to hide from bmw than the bluefin that can be easliy removed.
Thanks

MTH is a german company. there is a dealer down south (think is is essentialmini, but not 100% sure). The remap is done by yourself with a laptop and a cable (or by a fellow member that has the stuff) A file gets emailed to you which replaces the BMW, however you keep a copy of it to put back on if you want.

pretty much like the Bluefin, but using a laptop instead of their wee device. As for cost, I think it is more expensive, however you can have it custom made to take into account any mods you have done, exhaust, induction kit etc etc. :)

RyanK
3rd April 2008, 03:53 PM
Have to agree with Baz and the others, you need bluefin. The best mod I have done to my car!

I have it installed on my ONE and yes it makes a difference, so much so that I had a little 'play' with a cooper and was pulling away on the dual carriegway! The only thing that I don't like about it is that you have to wait until 4000rpm before the engine is pushing out 120+ bhp.

Thus with this said I don't know if it will be really worth it on the cooper?

:)

Burple
3rd April 2008, 04:29 PM
The only thing that I don't like about it is that you have to wait until 4000rpm before the engine is pushing out 120+ bhp.

:)

..but that's where all the fun is!!
..and where the One runs out of puff :(

I'm trying to decide between the two just now as well..
I dunno if it's still the case, but didn't MTH offer a year of free upgrades as well? If you changed something on your car (induction kit/ exhaust etc) they'd send you an updated map? I could very well be wrong! :D:D

RyanK
3rd April 2008, 04:50 PM
I agree kicking in at 4k is better than nothing. I've just treated myself to a Milltek cat back so that should improve throttle response etc a little bit!

I believe that MTH is a better ecu upgrade kit, and also that it allows the engine to push out 130+bhp opposed to the 120+ from bluefin. The only thing with MTH packages is that they are hard to get a hold of, and I don't think there is a dealer for it in the UK seens Essential Mini has now closed down.

Although hang fire!!!http://www.mini2.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/3059/cat/8

choc
3rd April 2008, 06:14 PM
i got a blufin done on my wifes mini one and i noticed it much more up the rev range and not a lot lower down the revs .fuel economy is about the same .well worth the money i would add

vintageb3
3rd April 2008, 06:25 PM
..but that's where all the fun is!!
..and where the One runs out of puff :(

Wee Man:eek: So if this is the case....why can I no catch you on runs?:confused:

mark

Gismo
4th April 2008, 04:47 AM
Lets not forget the gearing in a One is different to the Cooper, the One's BHP can be increased to the same and in some cases more than a Cooper, hence the reason an ecu modified One will pull away.
The One will be able to stay in a lower gear for longer due to the larger drive ratio's.
The Cooper ecu remap does slightly increase the BHP, but, in my book it's negligible to the ordinary driver in terms of getting the power down to the tarmac. No disrespect to anyone there :)
The main difference for the Cooper remap will be the smoother throttle response and to eliminate any ickle discrepencies in the fuelling.
Don't get me wrong, yes, you will gain around approx 5 to 10 BHP, get getting useable power is different.

If anyone has any doubts, just ask John how he managed to keep up with Cooper S's in his non modified Cooper ;)

Perhaps instead of an ecu remap some driver training would be more benefit :eek: again, no disrespect :D

Burple
4th April 2008, 10:50 AM
Wee Man:eek: So if this is the case....why can I no catch you on runs?:confused:

mark

Cos you're too busy driving like Morgan Freeman, stopping to pose and get your lid up and down... :D:D:p:p
..and I've been trying to keep up with John for years!! lol :D

Big Gordy
4th April 2008, 12:40 PM
I dunno if it's still the case, but didn't MTH offer a year of free upgrades as well? If you changed something on your car (induction kit/ exhaust etc) they'd send you an updated map? I could very well be wrong! :D:D

Correct........you are wrong:p I checked with Sully a couple of months ago about a remap seeing as I have the K+N on now only to be told "they don't do free remaps anymore".....bummer:mad: Just clear the ecu memory then drive it like you stole it and it should remember your a hooligan next time:D
You do get bonkers speeds out of the ONE gearing tho:eek: On a private road I've seen 75 in second and 95 in third:D It does come on song after 4000 revs:cool:

vintageb3
4th April 2008, 04:18 PM
Cos you're too busy driving like Morgan Freeman, stopping to pose and get your lid up and down... :D:D:p:p
..and I've been trying to keep up with John for years!! lol :D

Guilty as charged:(:rolleyes: :D

mark

ELFMAN
5th April 2008, 05:36 PM
I've done the Bluefin Remap thing on my 'S', but it was specifically for the JCW 210 (it had a thread on here a while back). The One and Cooper are a different thing, so my experiences won't really be applicable. On the 'S', the remap just made the car feel a bit more 'serious', which I got used to and didn't notice after about a week or so. Still think it was worth doing though, as it 'filled in the gaps' on the standard ECU.

As the guys have said, the remap for the 'old' One gives a whole lot more 'oomph' - doesn't it bring the One up to Cooper power levels, as the only difference between the One and Coop was the ECU settings. Or am I remembering it wrong?

Craig
5th April 2008, 05:59 PM
As the guys have said, the remap for the 'old' One gives a whole lot more 'oomph' - doesn't it bring the One up to Cooper power levels, as the only difference between the One and Coop was the ECU settings. Or am I remembering it wrong?

yeah as you say the difference is down to the ecu and also the gear ratios... :D

RyanK
5th April 2008, 06:12 PM
If anyone has any doubts, just ask John how he managed to keep up with Cooper S's in his non modified Cooper ;)

I remember that on the Manky Thrash! Me and my mates were amazed :eek:

Scottie
5th April 2008, 06:16 PM
I have yet to find out

But if or rather when Star Performance do a remap for the Cooper D I will be
knocking his door down to get one

as we all know the best remaps to be noticed are for the diesels.:p :cool: :cool:

and this guy is good.:D