PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Advice?

gauldrymini
2nd April 2008, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have any advice on what wipers to put on my R56 Cooper? Original wipers are 3 months old and the driver side one judders like hell!!
I have cleaned windscreen with Autoglym Fast Glass but to be honest is not much better.

Have heard PIAA wipers are good but expensive...or is it a trip to John Clark for more standard ones?

Andrew

Craig
2nd April 2008, 01:04 PM
I now always use the MINI ones as I have tried, halfrauds own, bosch and always come back to them as they seem to work best..

re reason for your judder may be down to something else.. Is there too much tension in the wiper arms causing them to grab at the windscreen? Maybe try putting a bit of wax on the screen to see if this helps stop the juddering..

I also sometimes find that the wipers on the car from new are not the best, but replacements are better. They are also not quite expensive.

best of luck :)

KenL
2nd April 2008, 01:22 PM
re reason for your judder may be down to something else.. Is there too much tension in the wiper arms causing them to grab at the windscreen? Maybe try putting a bit of wax on the screen to see if this helps stop the juddering..

Is that good advice? Never heard anyone recommend that before.

Did you try giving the blade itself a good clean?

I think the main problem with the MINI is the screen is so upright.

AndyP & Lenore
2nd April 2008, 02:48 PM

Did you try giving the blade itself a good clean?

I think the main problem with the MINI is the screen is so upright.

Ken. I'm confused. How in the world does having an upright windscreen cause juddering?:confused:

A.:D

Bazthemod
2nd April 2008, 03:07 PM
I have silicoln PIAA wipers and they are great would never go back to stock ones you also get solution to put on the windscreen which is like rain-x and the water just sheets off :cool:

Scottie
2nd April 2008, 03:22 PM
I have the exact same problem with my wipers. Only the drivers side and on to upward sweep judders like hell.

I've still to clean my windscreen using fairy and a mild clay bar.
Once I've done that if it stull judders I will nag Allan to have a look at the arm and give it a wee tweak.

If it still judders after that I will try the PIAA wipers

and if it still judders after that I will replace the windscreen.

Burple
2nd April 2008, 04:02 PM
Occasionally get the same thing. Bung on some RainX and it goes away for a few weeks. Happens more when driving at speed tho. On the downward stroke it's fine, so when there's more pressure on the blade it stops happening..

That reminds me.. got to get some more RainX! :cool::D

john
2nd April 2008, 04:49 PM
Check the angle that the rubber sits on the glass, if its too far / or \ hen it will judder in one direction as the rubber may not slide.
Twist the arm carefully to get the rubber more upright;)

vintageb3
2nd April 2008, 05:06 PM

Well...I recommend that as well.

I use Klasse AIO on my windows. Also used quick detailing spray or spray wax.

Never get a judder...so...there ye go...two recommendations on the same day in the same thread...every day is a day in the classroom;)

Upright screen?...you no getting Mini's mixed up with Scania trucks?:o :D

mark

Craig
2nd April 2008, 06:42 PM

next time your on a run ken or at a meet and it's raining have a look at my windscreen... the water will be sheeting off it. Plus, I very rarely need to use my wipers in the rain when moving as the screen clears itself.

PLUS when I do need to use them, the screen is left VERY clean.

been doing it for years and must say I have NEVER had a problem. So IMHO it is good advice. ;)

MarkyC also does the same thing on his and his Mrs car. :cool:

N12 JLK
2nd April 2008, 07:20 PM
I used Zymol carbon on the windows, an all over polish, you would'nt think I like this stuff would you:rolleyes:

KenL
2nd April 2008, 08:01 PM
Ken. I'm confused. How in the world does having an upright windscreen cause juddering?:confused:

A.:D

...because the wind (or air flow at speed) is more likely to lift the wipers off the screen if it is less horizontal.

KenL
2nd April 2008, 08:10 PM
next time your on a run ken or at a meet and it's raining have a look at my windscreen... the water will be sheeting off it. Plus, I very rarely need to use my wipers in the rain when moving as the screen clears itself.

PLUS when I do need to use them, the screen is left VERY clean.

been doing it for years and must say I have NEVER had a problem. So IMHO it is good advice. ;)

MarkyC also does the same thing on his and his Mrs car. :cool:

Very interesting, might give it a go!

I always thought you had to get your glass as clean as possible and not put anything on it.

I have tried Rain-X. I hated it as if you were not moving swiftly and wiped the screen it would leave some very fine water particles on the screen. This was hazardous if moving into the sun - I couldn't see a thing one day manouevering out of my driveway.

I presumed the problem was due to the wipers not "gripping" the screen, I had thought a similar thing would happen with wax on the screen :confused:

gauldrymini
2nd April 2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks...plenty of good advice for me to try on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

Andrew:)