PDA

View Full Version : Aw sheeet.

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2008, 12:08 AM
I read in a "how to detail" thread in another forum or a website with instructions somewhere sometime recently... That the best way to rinse a car after soaping up is to allow the water to spray from the end of the hose under nothing more than normal mains pressure - preferably with no attachment at the end of the hose. It makes the water "sheet" over the paintwork. Rather than using a jet hose or even a normal pressured head from a garden hose.

I thought it was nonsense to be honest - what possible difference could it make. But I decided to humour them an give it a try. WOW! It works. The soap suds really did clear off much easier, and the paintwork just looked so much cleaner. Went back to using my jet hose to clear the suds one time and noticed that it took longer to clear them and the paintwork didn't look as good afterwards.

So, it's sheeting for me from now on.

A.;)

Big Gordy
1st April 2008, 08:23 AM
Andy I'm sure this was one of "Wul, the buffmeisters" earliest tips for the removal of suds:rolleyes: :p :D

Stewart
1st April 2008, 03:31 PM
A member of detailing world here and they do seem to stand by this…I’ve never tried it as some go all the way to only using bottled water. I always thought an extra blast with the power washer would not do any harm….

Might give it a go! So just let it run out the end of an open hose is that what you done?

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2008, 03:34 PM
A member of detailing world here and they do seem to stand by this…I’ve never tried it as some go all the way to only using bottled water. I always thought an extra blast with the power washer would not do any harm….

Might give it a go! So just let it run out the end of an open hose is that what you done?

Sort of. The tap is too far away from the car for convenient turning on and off of the flow. So I've used a hozelock spray gun which has a number of spray options and set it to flood option, which basically just lets all the water out without restriction, so - no pressure.

A.;)

Stewart
1st April 2008, 04:07 PM
They actually go with a watering can without the rose even more!

There is ment to be a huge jump in finish with Safe meg polisher and the right pads....

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2008, 04:17 PM
I can see a watering can doing a good job too, but I doubt one can would do the whole car. I'd get fed up filling it.

As for the guys who use bottled water. FFS!:eek: Is that not going just a tad too far?:rolleyes:

A.:D

euan
1st April 2008, 04:43 PM
I'd love to be able to get a hosepipe near the car! No driveway, no outside tap, so it's lucky to get a rinse. I use a LOT of water and a washmitt - if it's bad I jet wash it first.

N12 JLK
1st April 2008, 07:08 PM
So, it's sheeting for me from now on.

A.;)

had to double take that line Andy:)

ianking
1st April 2008, 07:14 PM
We dont need bottled water in Scotland as our water is pretty much free from chemicals etc.

Andy its still worth having the jet wash though to give the car its rinse off before washing and for cleaning under the arches etc, especially on an R56 as they have daft carpeted arches.

Stewart
1st April 2008, 07:19 PM
With sheeting its not that it cleans any better just there is less water left on the car so less needing done by towel and less chance of causing damage.......

Its all good

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2008, 07:25 PM
We dont need bottled water in Scotland as our water is pretty much free from chemicals etc.

Andy its still worth having the jet wash though to give the car its rinse off before washing and for cleaning under the arches etc, especially on an R56 as they have daft carpeted arches.

I figured it may have something to do with the chemicals or maybe even the hardness of water in some geographical regions.

Always jet wash before a shampoo though. Like you say, gets into the arches and so on.

Our R56 had one of it's carpets replaced by Peter Vardy Carpet Right a couple of weeks ago. It came off the gripper rod.:rolleyes:

Ivano
1st April 2008, 07:33 PM
I do this, it makes the car so much more easy to Chamois too.

Just got delivery of a new Canon Ixus 80 IS Digital Camera today, so going to try and give the car a real good clean this weekend and finally post up some pics with my new JCW Mods and very Shiny MINI (well it is never dirty as Aerojonny will confirm)... ha ha

RyanK
1st April 2008, 07:36 PM
same here, I use a Watering can...with the tip removed

Much better for getting rid of the water, especially on a nice sunny day when the water dries to the paint alot quicker

Scottie
1st April 2008, 07:59 PM
When I stayed at home with my folks. We were on our own water supply. Most of the time the supply to the house was from the underground spring but when the spring was low my Father then switched the pump over from the spring and on to the burn (actually the Ardoch river) but we called it the burn when the burn was high that water was so brown from the peat god it was awful. Anyway because water was always in low supply my Father insisted when I washed my car I had to get a rope tie it to the bucket handle throw the bucket of the old bridge down into the burn then pull it up full of water and this is what I rinsed my car with:eek: :eek: all the wee bits of gravel I shudder thinking back.

Nowadays it a pleasure just having a hose and tap outside.

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2008, 08:08 PM
When I stayed at home with my folks. We were on our own water supply. Most of the time the supply to the house was from the underground spring but when the spring was low my Father then switched the pump over from the spring and on to the burn (actually the Ardoch river) but we called it the burn when the burn was high that water was so brown from the peat god it was awful. Anyway because water was always in low supply my Father insisted when I washed my car I had to get a rope tie it to the bucket handle throw the bucket of the old bridge down into the burn then pull it up full of water and this is what I rinsed my car with:eek: :eek: all the wee bits of gravel I shudder thinking back.

Nowadays it a pleasure just having a hose and tap outside.

Didn't realise they'd invented buckets that long ago Fi. Stick THAT in yer pipe and smoke it! Har de har!!!:D :D :D

Scottie
1st April 2008, 08:10 PM
Didn't realise they'd invented buckets that long ago Fi. Stick THAT in yer pipe and smoke it! Har de har!!!:D :D :D

dam :D :D.........

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2008, 08:11 PM
dam :D :D.........

lol.

A.;) :D

N12 JLK
6th April 2008, 02:52 PM
Tried this this morning. worked a treat:D