PDA

View Full Version : GP or R56 S

ianking
27th March 2008, 10:53 AM
To GP or not GP that is the question.

I have found a nice GP and the dealer has worked out a fair deal although I am still bantering a weebit.

After looking at the various other motors I mentioned in a previous post as well as testing a Subaru UK270 I just cant seem to drag away from Mini.
Perhaps this site has something to do with it.

Should I just stick with my R56 S (its going in again in 2 weeks for DERV noise and water rushings) or do I change for a GP. The GP is 6 months older but with 1 owner and only 3k miles.

john
27th March 2008, 10:56 AM
I have owned a GP and wished I had never sold it!!

By far the best MINI I have ever had (I have had quite a few)

What other mini will hold its value like the GP?;)

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2008, 10:58 AM
Ian I just don't think you are gonna settle with the R56 now. Once the Diesel noise gets the better of you, even if you do get it fixed, there's a high probability it will come back. Very unfortunate, but it's true.:o :(

You and Sarah obviously don't have any Kids (for now:eek: ) so while you can, you should get some enjoyment out of a GP. You seldom keep a car more than a year anyway, so it's not like it's a 3 year commitment you're taking on.:)

GP. Go for it!;)

A.:D

Gismo
27th March 2008, 11:17 AM
If you don't need 4 seats then the GP gets my vote, i had a wee drive with John's GP when he had it and it was brilliant :)

eddie 44
27th March 2008, 11:23 AM
Has to be a GP :cool:

Scottie
27th March 2008, 11:25 AM
I voted for GP. I don't really know though which one I would pick TBH.

euan
27th March 2008, 11:31 AM
As others have said, if you don't need the space, it has to be the GP.

FergusM
27th March 2008, 12:55 PM
I voted for the R56 :)

Well I just dont like the look of the GP's... to many bits tacked on. And yes I know it will be quick etc...but just don't like them...and yes I know I'll get abuse for saying that...

ianking
27th March 2008, 01:58 PM
You wont get abuse at all Fergus. I want honest answers and that is what you have given.

To be fair when the GP first came out I didnt really like it. A bit vulgar I thought. However recently I saw one on the road and thought wow that looks the dogs dangling bits. Went to see one last week at a garage but it was a rough one so walked away but upon looking at it as a car I really did like it.
I really like the look of my R56 S as well and the look of it inside, interior of R56 is nicer than the GP I think but im sick of the faults with the R56.

Big Gordy
27th March 2008, 02:11 PM
Ian I've never made a secret of the fact I just don't like the look of the R56:( so it's a no brainer for me.......THE GP:D Like some of the others have said if you don't need 4 seats go for it lad:cool: The only thing I don't like on the GP is the wheels:eek: ......but thats a personal thing.....taste I think its called;) :p :D

ianking
27th March 2008, 02:16 PM
There are 2 things that suprise me with the GP though, first no Xenon lights and 2nd no glovebox.
Glovebox is easily sorted though at not much cost but perhaps changing the lights will be a bit more costly.

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2008, 02:19 PM
There are 2 things that suprise me with the GP though, first no Xenon lights and 2nd no glovebox.
Glovebox is easily sorted though at not much cost but perhaps changing the lights will be a bit more costly.

Changing the lights wouldn't be too costly if you go down the aftermarket route. You should be able to get a HID kit for about £150. Fitted for another £50 or so.

Does the GP have A/C? Seem to remember that was another weight saving measure. Could be wrong though.

A.

illegalhunter
27th March 2008, 02:19 PM
GP get rid of the r56

drb5374
27th March 2008, 02:32 PM
Surprised you mentioned the Scooby, but IMO you picked the wrong one to consider.

The new STi is now out and i reckon that's the way forward. Loads of torque and relatively cheap at 25k.

I'm a bit biased against the 56 now for obvious reasons, but the GP although stands out, looks a bit "cheap"? Never understood the price of them and can't work out how they hold their value so well....but they obviously do, so that is certainly a sensible option.

ianking
27th March 2008, 02:47 PM
GP does have Air Con, I wouldnt even consider a car that didnt have it.

I was looking at a UK270 Subaru as it was registered but with nearly no miles but had a fair bit off the price. Im not a fan of the new shape. Test drove the new shape as well. Both models were very drab inside though.

drb5374
27th March 2008, 02:53 PM
Lol, yep! Can't agree more about the interior. :D

There isn't many cars IMO around the 20-25k bracket i'd go for, but when you get to the 30k, it opens up a lot more choices.

What happened about the S3 if you don't mind me asking?

ianking
27th March 2008, 02:57 PM
By the time I got to the garage for the 1 year old car it was sold. Cant afford a new one at £30k as I wanted to add on a couple options to it. Plus new A3 due in 2009 I believe.

drb5374
27th March 2008, 03:11 PM
Ah right.

Did you consider the 1 Series Coupe? I might be reconsidering the 1 Series for ourselves, with a diesel engine....won't be the Coupe though, as it's a bit expensive for us.

ianking
27th March 2008, 04:16 PM
Found a great 130 M Sport in 5 door at the weekend. Le mans blue, hi fi upgrade with blue tooth and Xeons and all the bits I wanted. We were jumping up and down almost when we saw it as it was a very good price but when we got up to it the car had an awful colour of interior. It was the very light grey with light grey plastics for the door cards and a blue dash. It looked seriously bad. The 1 series is much nicer with black inside.

Im not a fan of the 1 Coupe or 3 door, has to be a 5 door for me.

RyanK
27th March 2008, 05:22 PM
GP all the way, you won't look back.

I drive my uncles from time to time and its insane compared to my ONE lol. Feels literally like a Go-Kart!

Craig
27th March 2008, 05:59 PM
Ian, as per our correspondence today, it has to be the GP.;) :D

Like me you've had you fill of the problems with your R56 and if you have the money and option to "get out" I would. This is not a bash at the R56 in general, just the earlier cars seem to be more prone to the problems. Marky's other half has just taken delivery of her R56 Cooper and Marky says it is streets ahead (Better Gearbox, fit and finish, windows go up and down MUCH faster etc etc).

once you get the GP, can I get a wee shottie ? ;)

Scottie
27th March 2008, 06:44 PM
just the earlier cars seem to be more prone to the problems. Marky's other half has just taken delivery of her R56 Cooper and Marky says it is streets ahead (Better Gearbox, fit and finish, windows go up and down MUCH faster etc etc).

once you get the GP, can I get a wee shottie ? ;)

Is'nt drb5374's R56 a new Mini.:confused: He is having problems.

Ian must it be a fast car.?

anyway of your having to ask then it's not feeling right for you.

If you went to a garage and the cars of your choice were sitting there available to buy within your price range in your hearts of hearts which one would you pick.??

The 1'er ?? GP?? etc etc You shouldn't compromise you should either buy or wait to buy the one you really want no matter what we say.

FergusM
27th March 2008, 07:17 PM
What emission bracket is the GP in ?

...I just hate paying "road tax" when none of it seems to be spent on roads.

vintageb3
27th March 2008, 09:13 PM
Ian...its a no brainer...you know what you should be doing;)

mark

N12 JLK
27th March 2008, 09:23 PM
Your R56 looks very nice, I would say a lot nicer looking than the GP ( why would you want to own a doctor, I would prefer a naughty nurse), I must admit I would be tempted with the GP. What about the new JCW?.
Pity I am working I could have came up to Aberdeen with you to see it.
18 months and counting till we get a new MINI.
Oh the side skirts are the dogs danglies:D

stoney
27th March 2008, 11:45 PM
gp all the way or see about the new jcw chalange

ianking
29th March 2008, 07:53 PM
Well not long back from Aberdeen.
I was pleased that the salesman there let me take the GP out myself so I was able to give it a rather spirited drive for about 30 mins.

First impressions were, oh my god how much road noise does this thing have in the cabin.
2nd impression was that in terms of actual pulling power I dont think it was any quicker than my R56, certainly wasnt as fast when overtaking.
However through the bends the GP was fantastic. It could be thrown much harder round the bends than the R56.

Bad points for me on the GP front is that 1 it has no glovebox but the dealer has said they will supply & fit one FOC as part of the deal, 2 it has only standard headlights but im sure I could find a set of Xenons on eBay (I would want to keep it OEM stuff)
3rd is that it has no rear speakers and as a result the hi-fi sounds pretty much pants.

I have not decided yet as to what to do. Came home today and started the R56 after it was switched off for only 3 hours and it sounded like a DERV again. Makes me very annoyed there.
Sarah is not too keen on the GP having only 2 seats, she wanted a bigger car.

Maybe I should wait for the new Challenge car in the hope that Mini have sorted out the engine noise problems.
If the R56 challenge is the same % better than a standard R56 that the GP is better than a standard R53 then it will be some car (if that makes sense)

Gismo
29th March 2008, 09:38 PM
3rd is that it has no rear speakers and as a result the hi-fi sounds pretty much pants
Mikeythemini has an excellent upgrade to cure that wee problem ;)

FergusM
30th March 2008, 09:55 PM
New factory works car sounds ideal...and you could take out your stereo upgrade from yours and fit to the new one. Only thing is you could have the same issues...rattly dash etc.... afterall still reading of same issues on new cars as I've had on mine...would have hoped one year in they would have fixed them.

KenL
31st March 2008, 09:53 AM
Only thing is you could have the same issues...rattly dash etc.....

Wasn't the R50 worse for rattles than the R56? A search on the R50 forum on MINI2 for "dash rattle" revealed 252 threads!
http://www.mini2.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4556289&pp=25

The dash on mine (and just about everything else) rattled, creaked groaned etc over the 2 years I had it. It was in at the dealer many times with numerous fixes attempted, these all were never completely successful.

My R56, has one very occassional buzz over rough roads - I know where it is coming but it is not enough of an annoyance to put it into a dealer for a "fix".

Just trying to put a little perspective on things :)

Craig
31st March 2008, 10:29 AM
perspective goes both ways KenL...

over 1 million previous model MINI's have been produced (R50, R52, R53 etc etc)

how many new R56's in the last 15/16months ? I don't know the exact figures, but I would expect around 100,000 maybe ?

so if there are 25 threads about dash rattles in the total MINI community, is that not the same?

Both cars have/had their faults, however to try and tell someone that the previous model was as bad, doesn't really mean that what someone is going through right now with problems with their car is less important. I think we have to be sympathetic to those that are having problems, as having gone through the problems with an R50 and R56 I know how hard it can be with people telling you "nothing wrong with my car" or "the old one was just as bad".. :(

Also, I don't think you need to tell us there are 252 threads about rattles twice in the same thread.. :rolleyes:

KenL
31st March 2008, 10:55 AM
perspective goes both ways KenL...

over 1 million previous model MINI's have been produced (R50, R52, R53 etc etc)

how many new R56's in the last 15/16months ? I don't know the exact figures, but I would expect around 100,000 maybe ?

According to MINI2: Sales of the MINI showed strong growth with the retail sales volume rising by 18.5% to 222,875 units (2006: 188,077 units),

Even if 10% of those sales are previous model convertables, that would mean ~300 000 R56 MINIs have been produced in the 18 months since production began.

KenL
31st March 2008, 10:57 AM
Also, I don't think you need to tell us there are 252 threads about rattles twice in the same thread.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing that out :)

I have edited my post, happy now :D

Craig
31st March 2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for pointing that out :)

I have edited my post, happy now :D

I'm always happy Ken, I've got my R50.. ;) :D

KenL
31st March 2008, 11:04 AM
I'm always happy Ken, I've got my R50.. ;) :D

and very nice it is too :cool:

Craig
31st March 2008, 11:07 AM
next you'll be wanting a hug... :eek: ;)

Scottie
31st March 2008, 11:29 AM
Yeh come on you R56 bashers really how could you.:D :D

i need more smilies. I wink one would be good

Mon the fish
5th April 2008, 11:41 PM
Well not long back from Aberdeen.
I was pleased that the salesman there let me take the GP out myself so I was able to give it a rather spirited drive for about 30 mins.

First impressions were, oh my god how much road noise does this thing have in the cabin.
2nd impression was that in terms of actual pulling power I dont think it was any quicker than my R56, certainly wasnt as fast when overtaking.
However through the bends the GP was fantastic. It could be thrown much harder round the bends than the R56.

Bad points for me on the GP front is that 1 it has no glovebox but the dealer has said they will supply & fit one FOC as part of the deal, 2 it has only standard headlights but im sure I could find a set of Xenons on eBay (I would want to keep it OEM stuff)
3rd is that it has no rear speakers and as a result the hi-fi sounds pretty much pants.

I have not decided yet as to what to do. Came home today and started the R56 after it was switched off for only 3 hours and it sounded like a DERV again. Makes me very annoyed there.
Sarah is not too keen on the GP having only 2 seats, she wanted a bigger car.

Maybe I should wait for the new Challenge car in the hope that Mini have sorted out the engine noise problems.
If the R56 challenge is the same % better than a standard R56 that the GP is better than a standard R53 then it will be some car (if that makes sense)

It wasn't GP1131 was it? I was very tempted by that car...

The GP doesn't have Xenons. because they weigh something like 7kg more than standard headlights (something to do with the high charge needed).

Tell your missus 2 seats are fine - my wife bought an MX5, which I'm assuming means no kids - fantastic! Anyway, just view the GP as the first Mini Clubman - what you lose in seats, you gain in boot space!

To fully confirm the no-kids ethos, I'm hopefully about to buy an S2000...

ianking
6th April 2008, 12:10 AM
GP1131 was there but it was GP1200 that I took out for a leisurely run.

zimbo
6th April 2008, 12:16 PM
So is that a NO for the GP then Ian. ;) I must admit I am very surprised to here that you dont think there is much if any difference at all in the performance between it and your R56 S... I mean the weight difference between both of them must be pretty big I would have thought, after all the GP is meant to be a lot lighter hence having standard lights, no rear seats or rear speakers or glove box etc etc.

Maybe you should just hang on until they release the R56 GP. :D:p Which I am sure they are bound to do or at least something along those lines...

drb5374
6th April 2008, 07:21 PM
I'm sure it's more to do with the "feeling" of power though.

The R56 being a turbo'd car, will have more an instant torque kick, whereas the GP will be more linear.

ianking
6th April 2008, 09:18 PM
Never went for the GP. I did like it but its prob more of a weekend car. Im glad I went up to see it and drive it though as I was close to just buying it over the phone then driving it home after it was all paid for, then would have realised that it wasnt really for me.

Think we will have a look at the challenge car however. Maybe they will have fixed the R56 isues by then.