PDA

View Full Version : Macs!

AndyP & Lenore
24th March 2008, 11:09 PM
JUST WORK!:cool:

I'm a convert!:D

'Nuff said.:D

Although I do have a couple of questions....:o

The MAC can see my entire PC network and access all the shared folders/files on it no problem. But I am having trouble getting the PC's to see the MAC hard drive. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I need to make the Mac hard drive "shared" or not, or how to do that.

Any assistance appreciated.

A.;)

vintageb3
24th March 2008, 11:46 PM
Its a while since i've needed to do this...

In Tiger: File Sharing needs to be ticked in System Preferences I think (on the dock).

Then the only folder that the windows machine should be allowed to see is your drop box (as in User) public folder.

This way you can put files in the drop box of any user on your Mac from a PC.

Note that although you can drop files into the drop box from a PC....you cannot browse the drop box from a PC..or any other mac.

On Leopard...you have to also give what level of access...and can add other folders as well...with varying degrees of access.

There may be other ways to do this...and Gaz will be the guy to ask...as he has been on Mac longer than me.

Hope this helps...

mark

AndyP & Lenore
24th March 2008, 11:51 PM
Erm.... Home now so don't have it in front of me, but I don't remember either of those programs (Tiger or Leopard). It's running Mac OS X 10.2 I think.:confused:

A.

vintageb3
24th March 2008, 11:55 PM
That's Jaguar i think. If you like Jaguar (I don't)...You'd like Tiger...and LOVE Leopard;)

I found it difficult to get my mate's iBook working on his network with PC's. I upgraded it to Tiger...and it worked seamlessly.

So if you have mamaged to see the PC's...you are better man than me gunga din:D

mark

GAJ
25th March 2008, 12:04 AM
Erm.... Home now so don't have it in front of me, but I don't remember either of those programs (Tiger or Leopard). It's running Mac OS X 10.2 I think.:confused:

A.

You have OS X 10.4. That's Tiger! Apple started giving each version of the OS a big cat name with the launch of OS X.

The Hammond boy is correct in what he says!:)

vintageb3
25th March 2008, 12:07 AM
Errr...first time for everything:D

Maybe I didn't explain it too well though:(

mark

AndyP & Lenore
25th March 2008, 12:32 AM
Many thanks for all the help folks.;)

OKDOKAY. So I have a Tiger in my office now. Need to get the whip out.

I'll have another look tomorrow for the system preferences option on the dock.

At the end of the day, with the Mac being the Mac and has bespoke software that we don;t currently run on the PC's (but share the same raw images to start with), the Mac will be used as an end product machine, for designing our programme information leaflets and so on. So there shouldn't really be a need to transfer "files" from the Mac to the PC anyway.

Another wee thing....

I managed to put a link to shared folders on our PC Network on the side bar on the right of the screen, and could access all the files in those folders. but when I restarted the Mac, they had disappeared. Will I have to link to those machines every time the Mac is restarted?

Also, I was using the standard browser that comes on the dock for surfing. It's a bit pants. You can't seem to "maximise" the page that is currently open. So even NMS was sitting in the middle of the screen only using 70% of the available screen size. Couldn't seem to find a button that does what the top right buttons do on windows based program. I know of the three coloured buttons top left, close, minimise and maximise, but even the maximise button doesn't seem to "maximise" if you know what I mean. Will have a play tomorrow, but will firefox be better for surfing with?

A.:D

vintageb3
25th March 2008, 12:47 AM
I use Safari...its supposed to be the "fastest" browser. I quite like it to be honest. I don't like Firefox...but its only personal taste.

Have you gone to the Apple at the top left...and hit software update?

There's a new version of Safari just out....its supposed to be slicker.

I think you simply need to resize the window by dragging the bottom right corner....then every time you open a Safari window....it will be that size. Yeah... I think I'm right...I just tried it with a tabbed window and it worked.

If you like a window a certain size in a certain program...OS X will remember that when you quit the program. I can't remember if Windows does this.

Every time you switch off your mac...you need to access the network...and authenticate the connection to each computer or drive...or folder.

There may be an automatic way of doin this...but I haven't found it yet...unless you just leave the computers on;)

Gaz???

mark

GAJ
25th March 2008, 09:51 AM
If you want the window to occupy the full screen just drag the bottom right hand corner. After that the maximise button will restore the window to that size. Macs work pretty differently to windows in this respect. Safari is my favourite browser but it's a personal choice thing. I'm not keen on Firefox either.
You can auto connect to network servers and computers by adding them as log-in options in the users system preferences - they are the equivalent of control panels in windows - accessed by the icon in the dock which looks like a big white box with a switch. It should automatically connect to the network itself on startup - if it's not doing this check your settings in the networks panel.

AndyP & Lenore
25th March 2008, 11:35 AM
Cheers for the help guys. Will have a look at all that when I get in to work.

A.;)

vintageb3
25th March 2008, 08:39 PM
Gaj...this is interesting about the login options...thanks for that info!!!! It will help me when I get my network up and running again.

Can you clarify if its an option to access a specific drive on a a network machine...or can you take it down to accessing a folder on a drive on the network?

Thanks!

mark

GAJ
25th March 2008, 09:13 PM
Not sure, and can't check just now cos the hd failed on my brand new macbook pro! Bloody macs!! It's being fixed under warranty by the mac doctor as we speak! Never had this problem on my trusty Dell laptop!!! ;-)

vintageb3
25th March 2008, 11:00 PM
That's it!...I'm going back to PC....;)

mark

AndyP & Lenore
25th March 2008, 11:09 PM
Not sure, and can't check just now cos the hd failed on my brand new macbook pro! Bloody macs!! It's being fixed under warranty by the mac doctor as we speak! Never had this problem on my trusty Dell laptop!!! ;-)

That's it!...I'm going back to PC....;)

mark

WTF!!!!

What have I done?!?!?!?:eek: :eek:

GAJ
25th March 2008, 11:45 PM
but luckily the hd is all backed up with Leopards Timemachine (except the Vista bootcamp partition) on my 1TB Time Capsule so when I get my mac back on Thursday I can do a complete system restore to exactly the state it was in when it broke.
so Macs do just work - sort of!

AndyP & Lenore
26th March 2008, 12:08 AM
but luckily the hd is all backed up with Leopards Timemachine (except the Vista bootcamp partition) on my 1TB Time Capsule so when I get my mac back on Thursday I can do a complete system restore to exactly the state it was in when it broke.
so Macs do just work - sort of!

Except when the hard drive melts on you.:confused: :rolleyes: :D

GAJ
26th March 2008, 08:36 AM
Except when the hard drive melts on you.:confused: :rolleyes: :D

I think that's kinda my point! ;) Maybe Apple should start making the HDs themselves!
:)

vintageb3
26th March 2008, 08:42 AM
My macmini HD melted....so this is not good news :(

Repaired under warranty though...;)

It was the superdrives that were the weak link before....wonder what make the HD;s are?

My new Macbook Pro has a LG superdrive...and has been faultless. Unlike the two Mat****a drives in my previous two macs.

Maybe I should start using Time Machine (if only:D )

mark

Scottie
26th March 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm considering a Mac Book Air.:D

GAJ
26th March 2008, 09:31 AM
I'm considering a Mac Book Air.:D
Why? Looks like a proof of concept rather than a usable machine to me. Very slow and small HD, slow processor and system bus, can't upgrade the RAM or even change the battery, can't watch DVDs on it without attaching peripherals, only one USB port, cost's a packet, even without the solid state HD - looks cool though. Maybe in a year or so...

I think it is a Hitachi drive in my MBP. Glad it went sooner rather than later; it was obviously a faulty drive as it had only had about 100 hours of use before it started sounding like there were two very small men playing table tennis in it! I managed to startup from CD then back up wirelessly from time machine to an external USB drive and run the machine from that though which was pretty cool. The weird thing is that disk utility still reported the S.M.A.R.T. status of the internal HD as verified. When I have had HD failure in the past on old, worn out drives the imminent failure has been indicated and I have been able to replace them before data loss ocurred.

Time Machine is fantastic - the best thing about Leopard IMHO, closely followed by Spaces. Why aren't you using it B3?

vintageb3
26th March 2008, 05:52 PM
Oh man!!!! Spaces is the big bumble bees knees!!!

I have a cinema display...so use my macbook pro and display together...and using only 4 of the available 16 spaces...it gives me the option of 8 spaces at the flick of a wrist. So much goes to help keeping your desktop tidy and workflow (OK playing with my computer) organized. True multi-tasking...

Choose 16 Spaces...and with two displays....you get 32 Spaces:eek: ;) :D

I need to get my Lacie drive emptied and start using time machine....we all know why:rolleyes:

mark

AndyP & Lenore
26th March 2008, 06:26 PM
Can I get Leopard? And Sapces? Or is that the next gen of Mac software?

A.

vintageb3
26th March 2008, 09:52 PM
Leopard will work on your machine...I loaded it to a VERY old iBook for a friend.

It did run a wee bit slower on the iBook...but I think that is to be expected...as it was a IBM chip machine and not Intel.

She was told that as long as the machine had a DVD drive...it would load to the machine.

Visit the Apple site and check the system requirements...

I don't think you really need it though...Tiger is good enough.

Maybe wait until you buy your Macbook or mac mini;)...it comes pre-installed. I reckon you will have one before the year is out:rolleyes:

I went for a Macbook Pro...cause I needed the best spec'ed machine i could get at at the time for some music related stuff. Its not necessary though...

I really think the white Macbook's are a better buy....CHEAPER...smaller to get onto planes etc...and if you need a big monitor...plug into your plasma or LCD telly...or buy a cinema display.

mark