PDA

View Full Version : cracked windscreen

mr.b
8th March 2004, 05:44 PM
Morning.

After a wee jaunt to the land aside the silvery tay on saturday, i was returning down the M90 and whilst passing some roadworks, i couldn't help but notice a shed load of stone firing off my windscreen.:mad::mad:

Anyhoo, after washing the batmobile yesterday, a 5inch crack developed whilst driving home. After investigation, i found a miniscule little stone chip at the base of the crack. :(

I thought the stone chip was way too small for a crack to spring off it, has anyone else had their windscreen crack as easily as this?:question:

B.

GAJ
8th March 2004, 06:36 PM
A few folk have had this happen. I think LInda has had two! I believe the MINI windscreens are made from particularly thin glass.

macblob
8th March 2004, 08:15 PM
im on my third windscreen , as Gaj says they are made of very thin glass, even have some nasty chips on my 3rd windscreen

Steve74
8th March 2004, 10:06 PM
Have a look at my post - Another Fault! My windscreen just cracked from under the A-pillar with no stone chips!! It's a common problem.

mr.b
8th March 2004, 11:31 PM
Cheers guys.

Have you reported it to your dealer and if so, what did they say?

B.

Steve74
9th March 2004, 12:21 AM
Created a big fuss about it as they tried to get me to call Autoglass. It's being replaced under warranty but the part is on back-order from Germany!! There were many faults so I've rejected the car!!

KenL
9th March 2004, 12:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

Created a big fuss about it as they tried to get me to call Autoglass. It's being replaced under warranty but the part is on back-order from Germany!! There were many faults so I've rejected the car!!

Have you successfully rejected it Steve - i.e. got all your money back or agreement that you are getting a replacement?

mr.b
9th March 2004, 01:30 AM
surprise, surprise, David Morrison Mini will not recompensate my outlay because i didn't take the car to them to get the screen replaced. Even though i have a report from RAC Auto Windscreens to confirm its a stress crack and i have photos of the crack, THEY have to have taken them and seen the crack.

What a crock of sh*t!

Steve74
9th March 2004, 02:12 AM
KenL - I spoke to the dealer principal who was pleasant but didnt seem to think 6 different faults in 1800 miles were enough to reject the car - I disagreed with him. Also the service manager called and said the couldn't find any faults - already said that but they are there. The said stumble was meant to happen and that it was just the traction control!! Anyway, meeting the regional manager for BMW on Wednesday at the request of BMW. More upset than anything that the windscreen is on back order.

Wul
9th March 2004, 06:21 PM
Steve who is it you are meeting? is it Shevani Ramnath? hope you get some justice.

Steve74
9th March 2004, 06:59 PM
Wul - not sure who it is. The service manager said there were no prolems and tried to convince me that stumble was fine, even part of the option of DSC I paid for!! I've asked for a refund as the waiting list for a new s is now to July. I may be happy if they offer me compensation but it would have to be good..

Wul
9th March 2004, 07:12 PM
Steve - don't believe what they say re delivery - in a buy back situation you will get priority - my S just arrived in 4 and a bit weeks! and they told me it would be 6!

KenL
9th March 2004, 08:07 PM
Wul - are you going to reveal the ins and outs of your deal ???????

Linda M
9th March 2004, 09:38 PM
Got my windscreen replaced by the dealer as I wanted the official MINI windscreen which you might not get going elsewhere. Paid about £300. Didn't see the point in creating a fuss as I blame the state of todays roads.

Steve74
9th March 2004, 11:25 PM
Linda - there is a fault on many of the minis with a bonding process in the factory for some of the windscreen breaks. I found the service bulletin on mini2.com and the dealers have been instructed to use a depth measurement to ascertain what the issue is. I think my windscreen is on back-order as they may be changing the part design!

Steve74
9th March 2004, 11:27 PM
Wul, I will take them up on that if they offer. I got my official letter back today (very prompt) from the dealership and they say stumble doesnt exist!!!

Wul
10th March 2004, 12:06 AM
Yeh - thats why there is a new version of the ECU software issued every 6 months! Sounds like a case of "ignorance is bliss" they do know it exists and so does MINI Head Office - check out some of the stumble threads on MINI2 and see which dealers seemed to be helpful, phone them up and ask them about it then give their number to Eastern and see what they say then!

KenL
10th March 2004, 12:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

Wul, I will take them up on that if they offer. I got my official letter back today (very prompt) from the dealership and they say stumble doesnt exist!!!

Well you should point out to them that hundreds of owners on MINI2 and the other MINI forums have reported it.

Why not print them all off, send them to them and ask them to comment. Here are some for you to start with:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40711&highlight=stumble
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46576&highlight=stumble
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40171&highlight=stumble

Have you considered taking your car to Dunedin for an independent view on your car? You are entitled to take your car to any dealer for warranty work.

Or, will Dunedin get you an appointment with the MINI cetral technical rep?

Steve74
10th March 2004, 05:53 PM
Wul - they told me in a letter I received that they had replaced the software in the ECM but said nothing was wrong with it!! Can't wait to take the technical rep for this region out for a spin in just over an hour to show him.

KenL - I'm just going to do that now - thanks for the thread references. I used to work for Dundein so felt I might not get a straight answer from them but if Eastern have let me down after today I will get on the case!

Thanks for all your help and I will post later on today! The annoying thing is I even test drove 2 other cars to compare just in case the worst happens but nothing drives as nice as my MCS!

Wul
10th March 2004, 06:02 PM
Good luck Steve - hope you get a result!

KenL
10th March 2004, 06:20 PM
Go get 'em Steve ;)

Look forward to reading how you got on later.

Steve74
10th March 2004, 06:25 PM
Just printed out 18 pages on stumble threads from Mini2.com. Lets see if they like this considering they said:

"...is in our opinion simply the DSC doing its job of regaining traction by slowing the wheels down and reapplying the power, hence the sensation of a dip in power...We are therefore still of the opinion that there is no fault"

Lets see what they say now...

Steve74
11th March 2004, 04:39 AM
Ok, met the BMW regional tech rep today and he said that he thought my windscreen crack was a stonechip but conceded it wasn't when I showed him where it started under the A-pillar. He said even if it was a chip it shouldn't cause that much damage and said they are investigating it as it seems to be an issue! He didn't admit to knowing anything about stumble but I gave him 18 pages of Mini2.com posts on the issue. Still waiting for my screen to arrive and it looks like it wont be sorted until next next - not good at all. They seem to think it's ok to ignore problems or dismiss them - not a good business strategy in my opinion.

Wul
11th March 2004, 08:04 PM
Hmmm - not that much further forward then Steve! What's the next move?

KenL
11th March 2004, 08:45 PM
Wul,

I take it your new S disnae stumble?

Steve74
11th March 2004, 11:56 PM
KenL & Wul - not sure what the next move is. I will wait and see if they fix the screen, rattles, rain sensor and stumble. If not then I will ask for compensation. If any other major problems happen I will be in a stronger position to reject but I may just have to sell the car which I really don't want to do. Will just have to wait another week 1/2 until the car comes back!! :mad:

Wul
12th March 2004, 12:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Wul,

Please Ken - it's not even a week old - i'm not even going there!:disapprove:

I'm scared to listen for rattles etc, just trying to put a positive head on and trust it is a good one!

<No it doesn't stumble - goes out and hugs the biggest tree he can find!:eek:>

KenL
12th March 2004, 12:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

quote:Originally posted by KenL

Wul,

Please Ken - it's not even a week old - i'm not even going there!:disapprove:

I'm scared to listen for rattles etc, just trying to put a positive head on and trust it is a good one!

<No it doesn't stumble - goes out and hugs the biggest tree he can find!:eek:>

Sorry Wul - didn't mean to freak you out :) I'm sure your new S is perfect :cool:

Just wondering as Steve can now go to Eastern and say "Wul's doesn't do it" ;)

Wul
12th March 2004, 01:10 AM
Ha Ha - liked that one! "Wul's doesn't do it" :D

Yeh Steve - tell Phillip at Eastern my new S is ok so far! Although i've not got DSC! He knows me as they have a steering column for me there - no that i've got the car anymore :disapprove:

Steve74
12th March 2004, 02:02 AM
Wul - I see to be getting to know Phillip and callum quite well!!