PDA

View Full Version : Power loss issues?

Mark R
24th March 2008, 01:49 AM
I've been having a little trouble today with a little power loss. First thing this morning briefly and then much more later today. Mostly around the 3k to 4k RPM mark.

There was a heavy frost last night and after the car had been going for a little while this morning all was fine until I drove it later on in the afternoon. The next time it had started to snow. Sprayed some WD40 around the distributor and all was Ok for the next 20 miles. At that point the power loss returned and the car died on me. After about 5-10 minutes and a little more WD40 it was back to life. The snow had stopped a little after this time.

Next time was much later and it was really cold outside but no visible frost. Power loss continued for most, if not all of a 25 mile trip. I've had the car set up on a rolling road within the past week and it's been running great till the cold, frost and snow today.

Can anyone suggest what might be the cause of such problems? Simply water getting where it shouldn't be or could there be more to it than that?

Gismo
24th March 2008, 09:38 AM
Is it a carb type mini? if so, check the oil chamber on top of the carb itself.
There should be some oil in there, 3 in 1 is the best :)

Mark R
24th March 2008, 10:48 AM
It is a carb type. I'll put some in and see if that helps, thanks. :)

Burple
24th March 2008, 10:54 AM
What kind of air filter have you got on it?
Reason I ask is that I had a K&N cone filter on my old Pickup, and when it was really cold in the mornings, on my drive to work in Perth, the carb would occasionally freeze.. Sitting at the side of the raod for 5-10 mins would usually thaw it out enough to run again :D

Could also be a bit damp in the distributer cap.. Do you know if it's points of electronic ignition? It might be worth looking into Electronic if you don't already have it..

..Or the HT leads themselves..

And as BS says, check the carb oil :D and that the wee piston thingy moves up and down relatively freely when you check the oil..

Aahh.. those were the days! :D:D:D
Minis really don't like the damp!

AndyP & Lenore
24th March 2008, 11:31 AM
Being honest, I know nothing about classic Mini's, but what you are describing is almost identical to the problem I had in my 1.0l Vauxhall Nova. It was a very simple engine, with none of the trickery and electronic wizzardry you see in almost all engines these days. Simple carburetor, distributor cap, no power steering, etc., etc.

I often had to take the top off the distributor cap and wipe it clean and dry with a piece of kitchen roll. This always did the job and the car was good for another 500 miles or so. I even had to replace the distributor cap every 5,000 miles or so, 'cos drying it out eventually stopped working.

Just a suggestion.

A.:D

Mark R
24th March 2008, 10:15 PM
Well I checked the oil and that was fine. Dried out the distributor too but was still having the problem. Air filter is a Metro air housing with a K&N element but it didn't matter how long I was driving for last night or this morning the problem was still there.

So just out of interest I filled up the fuel tank as the problem seemed to almost start the last time I got petrol. Problem disappeared completely by the time I was driving up the street after that. The logical conclusion is that the fuel I had from the other garage was bad, either that or it was a fuel pressure or pump issue. But thanks all for the suggestions. They were all much appreciated. :)

Mark R
24th March 2008, 11:24 PM
Ok. I spoke too soon. Just went out again after letting the car cool down to the nice chilly temperature it is outside and its happened again. Now though the cars warmed up and its fine again.

So tell me, did you have the air filter freezing problem before the K&N and was it in an air box? :D

Burple
25th March 2008, 12:22 AM
TBH I only ever had the K&N cone filter on at the time (not a boxed one), cos I loved the noise so much:o:D

I did try a standar air box with some strategically drilled holes at one point, but i think that was only in warmer weather...

Do you know if it's points under the dizzy cap, or electronic ignition?
If it were points you might need a new set on and adjusted..

It'd be a good idea to check the inside contacts of the dizzy cap too, for burning or scoring, and the rotor arm in the dizzy too. well at least the metal contacts, and make sure it's all clean and dry :D

I think by the age of your car it *may* have had a plastic ignition shield fitted, if not, they help a lot, and should fit straight on with the right mounting brackets :D

After that, I can't really think of much more apart from maybe dodgy electrics somewhere else in the cold / damp..

..Apart from the fuel filter (if it has one it should be under the tank tucked under the subframe), or the fuel pump..

Maybe some of the other classic obsessives (Duncan or Mr Barrie?;)) might have more ideas?

DickWW
25th March 2008, 04:06 PM
Couple of possibilities come to mind from my mini days... Firstly the coil which were never particularly reliable or secondly, the plug and HT leads... If the latter are the carbon type then dump them for good old fashioned copper.

Mark R
27th March 2008, 08:53 PM
Took the car in today to have a coolant leak checked out and mentioned the problem while I was there. Turned out there was no gap in the points. They were new so it seemed they had just settled in and needed re-gapped. Thanks all for the suggestions, will keep them in mind next time it isn't points. :D

Burple
28th March 2008, 01:16 AM
<Dances> :D:D (Like Monica and Vaila in that other thread :p:D:D)

Good to see that lot's still stored away in my wee brain :cool:;):D

Glad it was a relatively easy fix too! Electrical probs in a classic can be a right pain in the peas!

Mike_T
7th July 2009, 10:54 PM
If you want to stop having to dry your electrics, get a can of ignition sealer. Clean the leads & Dizzy cap then connect it all up and give it a good coating with the sealant. works a treat, much better than WD40.

Do you have an ignition shield fitted? If not, you should get one, the newer type is best, the ones that come right up to the rocker cover.

Gismo
7th July 2009, 11:00 PM
Excellent advice, however over a year late