PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Craig
22nd March 2008, 05:19 PM
I took off my run flats and put nromal tyres on about 2 weeks ago.

The problem I have is at about 50 miles per hour, I get a vibration thro the car which gets worse the faster you go. The wheels are the same and they got balanced etc when the tyres got put on.

I have also had the car back to get the 2 front tyres balanced again and this hasn't helped :confused:

Could the tracking be out? don't know how this has happened as I have changed wheels many times before and it hasn't put the tracking out and I havent hit any pot holes recently.. ;)

any thoughts welcome. :)

The Dogfather
22nd March 2008, 08:36 PM
I would have said tracking but whenever I've had a problem its been at a set speed rather than progressive with speed

Scottie
22nd March 2008, 10:28 PM
I had this twice once a buckle
d alloy and the other time flat spot on one of the gyres on my e36 and on my e46

Burple
23rd March 2008, 12:15 AM
Dude.. which wheels have you got on?

Reason I ask is that when I got my 17s, they needed locating rings put on them :o;)
I had that problem, got a set of rings, and it went away ;)

..but just forget that if it's Mini wheels.. assuming of course that someone else put the wheels back on.. :D

stoney
23rd March 2008, 07:11 AM
i would say same as fi as my van did the same and got new tyers on and it stoped

drb5374
23rd March 2008, 09:49 AM
Were the tyres brand new?

Reason i ask, is i bought 4 brand new Toyo T1S at one point and all 4 tyres had HIGH spots on them. I found this out, when i had them rebalanced and the fitter seen the tyre moving as it was rotated.

After a lot of hassle, i got a new set out of Toyo.

Big Gordy
23rd March 2008, 10:47 AM
I could be wrong here but I doupt if your tracking will give you the symptoms your having ie vibration seeing as it only deals with the direction the wheels are pointing. What your describing is related to the rotating mass being out of balance at a given speed. If you've had them re-balanced I think your problem may lie with the actual construction of the tyre itself:eek: I'm sure Willie told me that wheel balancing only cures wobbles up to about 40mph after that it in the realms of tyre construction:( Sorry I can't offer any more help:o:D

Big Gordy
23rd March 2008, 10:51 AM
The problem I have is at about 50 miles per hour

I don't think that was the number you quoted to me last Sunday;) Has it moved in a week:rolleyes::D

Craig
23rd March 2008, 11:23 AM
I don't think that was the number you quoted to me last Sunday;) Has it moved in a week:rolleyes::D

LOL ;) yeah just a bit faster... ;)

They are MINI wheels Ewan, so no problems with rings...

as for the tyres, they are nearly new - only did about 2000 miles when they were on my blue cooper S. Took them off when I handed it back and kept the tyres in my garage till I put them on a couple of weeks ago.,

I had no problem with tyres when they were on the S and can't see how they would have developed a problem whilst sitting in my garage :confused:

Shouldn't be long til I get my 18's back and we shall see how they are. It seems that either the balancing is out, or the tyres are faulty...:( :rolleyes:

thanks for the info folks. :D

drb5374
23rd March 2008, 11:31 AM
If left, IIRC they can distort.

I'm sure the guy from Toyo told me, they should be relatively fresh when renewed, but not sure if they were used and then left for a while somewhere.

Worth getting them rebalanced and looking at the face of the tyre, when on the balancer.

Scottie
24th March 2008, 10:32 PM
I took off my run flats and put nromal tyres on about 2 weeks ago.

The problem I have is at about 50 miles per hour, I get a vibration thro the car which gets worse the faster you go. The wheels are the same and they got balanced etc when the tyres got put on.

I have also had the car back to get the 2 front tyres balanced again and this hasn't helped :confused:

Could the tracking be out? don't know how this has happened as I have changed wheels many times before and it hasn't put the tracking out and I havent hit any pot holes recently.. ;)

any thoughts welcome. :)

Craig did this problem start after you hit your front wheel off the kerb:eek: :rolleyes: :p :p

Craig
24th March 2008, 10:41 PM
nope :o only after changing the tyres :D

MINI William
1st April 2008, 07:35 PM
if vibration is felt through car ,in general it is the rear tyre,s at fault.if through steering wheel it,s the front,s.have you had rear checked ??and have you changed rear,s to front and noticed any difference .

Craig
1st April 2008, 10:04 PM
good call William, I only got the fronts checked. I will get the rears balanced again. :D

MINI William
13th April 2008, 08:14 PM
did u get this fixed craig??

Craig
13th April 2008, 09:21 PM
yes and no.

put my 18's on and the problem went away, so I know the problem is with those tyres and wheels, so it is something to fix before the winter. think I will just get all the wheels balanced. :)

MINI William
14th April 2008, 11:21 AM
good good :D

MrMischief
14th April 2008, 10:57 PM
One other point - when you had the wheels/tyres re-balanced, was it at the same tyre-fitters?

Try somewhere else and see if it makes a difference.

Steve