PDA

View Full Version : Got an issue...your thoughts please?

drb5374
19th March 2008, 07:17 PM
Ok, well we actually have a few issues.

Numerous squeaks and rattlles from the interior, a chip on the bonnet that was noticed as soon as we got the car, cracked front number plate that was again noticed when we got it, diesel engine noise, possible snick when selecting 3rd gear and the last one which is my main point for this thread...an area on the edge of the tailgate which looks like someone has gone OTT with a polisher.

Being in the bodywork trade myself, paintwork is a big thing for me. ANYONE would be upset to expect a brand new car to have a defect rectified by a respray, so i'm wondering your thoughts...what would you accept?

The service manager has accepted there is a problem and has offered to paint the tailgate, but i know the paint colour won't be a perfect match and i know for a FACT the quality of workmanship, will not be as good as a factory finish. The damage has been done and this has obviously brought the value of the car down some-what, but one or TWO painted panels will bring the value down even more so.

I'll try and get a couple pictures up, so you can see what i'm talking about...

drb5374
19th March 2008, 07:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/drb5drb5/miniprob1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/drb5drb5/miniprob7.jpg

drb5374
19th March 2008, 07:22 PM
You might not be able to make it out in the pics, but the primer you can see, actually carries on by the trim, so it's been done BEFORE the trim was put on the car....otherwise the trim would be marked which it's not.

Craig
19th March 2008, 07:24 PM
is the problem on the tailgate on the outside of the tailgate?

reason I ask is that I had a problem with my tailgate on my first R56 S, which was on the inside left side of the tailgate, where a rubber was catching on the paintwork and rubbed it down to the primer. :eek:

this was one of the main reasons MINI finally agreed to replace it.

At the end of the day, if you are not happy, fight it and if they have caused paint damage to your car, speak to MINI customer services and explain your point of view. In my experience, they can sometimes help alot, but sometimes stand very firm on some things. I think it's the luck of the draw. :rolleyes: :)

as for the other problems, they still don't know what is causing the diesel noise, which was another reason I got rid of my second car. I cannot see how a metal on metal noise is not causing engine damage in the long run...:(

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

drb5374
19th March 2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that fella.

On close inspection all around the tailgate, inside of the lower edge, there reminants of a bonding glue that has came out of the panels and someone has had a go at scraping it away before painting and you can still see the scratch marks. :(

It takes the shine off owning a new car and funnily enough, a friend phoned me to tell me he is having VERY similar problems withhis brand new Golf GTI.

Will be phoning the Mini sales person again tomorrow and will phone customer services as well probably.

FergusM
19th March 2008, 08:41 PM
My car rattles, does so less since I got stereo upgrade..and now I just turn up the stereo. I think this is just a thing you get with the R56's.

Diesel sound...yip also get that, not heard f a 100% reliable fix so just waiting for Mini to find one and then will get car fixed. Till them I just igonore it (and turn up stereo so I can'y hear it).

Tail gate is something I don't have...phew.

Not nice and takes the shine off a new car.

Scottie
19th March 2008, 08:49 PM
My dash rattled in the Dooper when I first got her. Fixed now though when Allan changed the dash trim adding foam between that and the plastic behind it. And a wee bit no nails and for for the trim covering the top flip storage space thing.:cool:

drb5374
19th March 2008, 09:16 PM
I can get along with the rattles, but where do you draw the line when the list of problems gets longer and longer?

The tailgate thing is IMO, human error. There is no way it's a paint defect.

No-one heard/seen similar?

ajamesj
19th March 2008, 10:25 PM
My Dooper dash rattled when I first got it but a day left with the garage in Perth and the problem was solved never returned and been about 5 months now so very happy.

AndyP & Lenore
20th March 2008, 12:26 AM
I've never heard of a paint defect on arrival from the factory. But at the end of the day, you are protected by law and if the goods don't conform to the sale of goods act, you don't HAVE to accept a dealer repair. You are entitled to a refund or replacement. If the paint issue is only on the tail gate could they replace that in it's entirety? Rather than a re-spray.:(

I would say the more worrying thing for you though is the gearbox issue. That sounds like trouble to me. The start of the famed gear box problem when changing down maybe?:confused: :(

A.:(

drb5374
20th March 2008, 08:24 AM
Cheers guys.

Trouble even with swopping an entire tailgate, is cracking the paint on the bolts for hinges....not sure if they are visible, but they usually are. Anyone with a keen eye, will where to look for a non-original panel. :(

The gearbox HAS been bothering me. Being from Scooby ownership, gearboxes are common faults, so i'm not sure if i'm just being paranoid. The snick is from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes i think i've felt it going up into 4th and 5th. I'll mention it in my call today, but will maybe get my dad to try it and see what he thinks.

At the end of the day, i know mechanical faults can be fixed, rattles come and go and will always appear, but bodywork is there to stay...in good condition or bad.

illegalhunter
20th March 2008, 08:41 AM
Another satisfied customer , the R56 is QUALITY .I wish i never got rid of the my 06 cooper.

FergusM
20th March 2008, 09:53 AM
Is the diesel engine noise the one that last 2 minutes after start up ?... or just the ticking that is from the solenoids in the engine ?

drb5374
20th March 2008, 10:40 AM
Lol at Deerslayer. :D

Fergus, i got under the bonnet for a listen while the other half revved the engine a wee bit.

It's at about 1500rpm when the rattle starts and comes from the head. I don't think it sounds very meta-to-metal...more a plastic rattle, but it's definately from INSIDE the rocker cover.

Gismo
20th March 2008, 10:59 AM
To narrow it down even further, get yourself a decent length screwdriver and get your other half to rev the engine like before, only this time, place the handle part of teh screwdriver to your ear and the other end touch the rocker cover.
Be careful that the noise isn't too loud that you damage your ear, but, this will give you more info.
Obviously be careful with moving parts etc ;)

mini saltire
20th March 2008, 11:50 AM
To narrow it down even further, get yourself a decent length screwdriver and get your other half to rev the engine like before, only this time, place the handle part of teh screwdriver to your ear and the other end touch the rocker cover.
Be careful that the noise isn't too loud that you damage your ear, but, this will give you more info.
Obviously be careful with moving parts etc ;)

I can just imagine DRB534's next post........ Now deaf, can't hear any rattles now. I just need someone to suggest something that could damage my eyesight and I'll not need to worry about the paint defect... lol:D :D :D;)

drb5374
20th March 2008, 12:01 PM
LOL :D

Defo from in the head....don't need to amplify it any more...just needed someone to rev it a touch, to get the engine to do the rattle. :)

Waiting on a call back from the dealer, as they were too busy to take my call. :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
20th March 2008, 04:55 PM
For goodness sake, while trying these wonderful fault finding tricks..... just make sure you're other half doesn't knock it into gear.

And if you see her looking out the insurance polices next time you shout for help, BEWARE!

Mind and keep us informed.;)

A.:D

Scottie
20th March 2008, 05:08 PM
LOL :D

Defo from in the head....don't need to amplify it any more...just needed someone to rev it a touch, to get the engine to do the rattle. :)

Waiting on a call back from the dealer, as they were too busy to take my call. :rolleyes:

Is it more a ticking sound.??? but loud.???? Allan had this with his Laser Blue R56 no idea what it was as we sold it without finding out the problem.

drb5374
20th March 2008, 05:20 PM
Lmao at Andy. :D She does have a tendancy of being a bit "dipsy", but maybe thats just a cover. :D

Yep, thats pretty much the sound. I just figured it's the same as what everyone else has been hearing?

Scottie
20th March 2008, 05:23 PM
well if it is the loud ticking noise I read about the cause of it over on Mini2. I just need to find the thread I read about it on was only the other night aswell.

drb5374
20th March 2008, 08:42 PM
If you could mate, as all i find is stuff on the diesel noise.

FergusM
21st March 2008, 01:09 AM
So mine had two sounds...

1. General diesel sound...comes from the solenoids and is nothing wrong with engine. Partly what give sit the good mpg figures.

2. A diesel rattle for a couple of minutes of occasion when just started...worse about 1500 revs..and goes away once car has been running for a couple of minutes.

if it is #1 then you are stuck with it... #2...well I am waiting on a relible fix.

drb5374
21st March 2008, 08:03 AM
I think it's number 2 mate. 1500 revs just about gaurantee's it.

FergusM
21st March 2008, 10:53 AM
If it goes away after a few minues then you have same as me....and so far I have yet to read of a reliable fix that lasts for a while. I was hoping that mini would have sorted it and newer cars would not be affected.

If I ever hear of a fix I'll let you know...until something can 100% guarantee to fix it I don't really want to start getting bits changed on mine.

drb5374
21st March 2008, 11:14 AM
Yer, likewise.

Tried phoning Citizen's Advice, but funnily enough they aren't working today. :rolleyes: Don't think much will come of it all, but i have to try, as it simply isn't fair.

drb5374
22nd March 2008, 03:37 PM
Maybe i'm being overly paranoid now, but last night i heard a rushing of water noise in the dashbaord at the passenger side....anyone else got this?

Can't remember hearing it before and it's there quite a lot now. :rolleyes:

Sweeney
22nd March 2008, 04:22 PM
Thats one of the known faults as well. *Usually* when it happens it means theres air in the system, would be a good idea to check the level frequently and have a spy for any leaks etc (Happened in mine as when it was repaired it wasn't topped up fully and bled properly. Although that was an r50 cooper)

N12 JLK
22nd March 2008, 04:56 PM
ahh the good old diesel noise, mines still does it and mine has had a so called 'fix', just gonna live with it, it goes away after 1 mile when its hot, there will be a fix for it when I trade it in in 18 months;) . So slow on getting the problems fixed MINI.

drb5374
22nd March 2008, 05:07 PM
Going in to complain tomorrow.

Spoke to my salesperson the other day, who told me they'd get the service manager to call me....nothing.

Getting to be too many problems IMHO. Getting to the point i'd be happier to give it back than put up with everything. Shame, as i've just ran it fully in last night and had a good play....impressive little pocket rocket.

Craig
22nd March 2008, 05:15 PM
ah the sound of rushing water... according to MINI Technical it is "a characteristic of the vehicle". ;) As Jim White would say, "what a load of pi$h!"

I got to the same point as you drb, but after my second one in 11 months.:eek: :rolleyes: :(

They tried to fix the rushing water noise 3 times and everytime they failed. :mad:

See how you get on, they wouldn't help me with my second car, I just kept hitting a brick wall. It's a REAL shame that MINI are failing to find a fix for these faults, it really is spoiling the ownership of what is a great car to drive.. Come on MINI sort it out! :D

drb5374
22nd March 2008, 05:36 PM
What did you go through? Did you give them the first car back and get a replacement or something?

I can see me giving up with owning a Mini and going for something else, but that's a hard choice on it's own! I don't want to give it up, but the service so far has been pretty appauling. :(

Craig
22nd March 2008, 05:44 PM
I have my first S from Jan07 to June 07 when it was replaced under warranty. The second car lasted from June 07 to 1st Dec when I traded the car in as I had just had enough. I love my MINI's, hence why I got another one, but my confidence in the newer model (R56) was severely dented and I could not trust the model any longer, which is why I went for one of the last R50's and it has been VERY good up til now (touching LOTS of wood as I type this..;) )

Craig
22nd March 2008, 05:47 PM
I must point out that the replacement under warranty was one of the most painful and stressful things I have ever gone thro'. Even worse than moving house and that is bad. :(

Worst of all, I wasn't even offered a full refund by the supplying dealer as in hindsight, I should have taken that, as I ended up paying for the car for 11 months and still have to pay £2.5k to get rid of the car and clear the outstanding finance. Fingers well burnt and a lot of lessons learnt. :( :(

Best of luck, if I can give you any help/advice, please let me know. :)

drb5374
22nd March 2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks very much for that....might take you up on the offer dependant on what happens. :)

I'm not usually the sort of person to argue things, as it usually IS more hassle than it's worth, but they deserve to have a fight, after the amount of problems there are and the amount of other people having the same problems. I could have accepted one or two, but 5 or 6 is getting OTT. I could accept it all a bit easier if it hadn't started with the paint problems mind you...

Mini tomorrow, CAB on Tuesday.

drb5374
27th March 2008, 08:15 AM
Well i've spoken to CAB and SMMT and they have both said, the dealer has broken their contract with the car.

My choices are have it repaired, get a new replacement car, or get my money back. I'm leaning towards the later, as a new car may still turn up with common faults and then i'd be nearly back to square one and is just more hassle than it's worth really. A repaired car will never be right and of course as you know, there's no fix for the engine noise anyway!

I don't want to get rid of the Mini as i really like and enjoy it, but the only way i see me keeping it, is if the dealer were to compensate us, which we've already been told, won't happen.

What a cronic amount of hassle, for something that isn't any of my fault. :( Can't believe BMW can send out cars, that can get as many faults as the R56 does.

My letter has been written and will be getting sent to the finance company, the dealer principal and possibly customer services, if i can somehow get their address.:rolleyes: Struggled to get their PHONE NUMBER! Top compnay that.;)

Scottie
27th March 2008, 08:46 AM
I'm sorry for your troubles with the car and hope you can come to an arrangement with the dealer.

Gismo
27th March 2008, 09:19 AM
Obviously gutted to hear of your troubles, but, if you still love the MINI but not the R56 then i would advise the last of the R53 S's.
It won't be a brand new car..........
Mine has been brilliant since the day i got it and besides, it has the supercharger

drb5374
27th March 2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks again guys.

I'd have possibly considered the 53, if it weren't for the running costs. When you look at the figures for the 56 S, there's hardly a performance petrol car on the market today, that can match the running costs of the 56 S.

It'll be diesel power for the next car, if the S goes back. :(

The Dogfather
27th March 2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks again guys.

I'd have possibly considered the 53, if it weren't for the running costs. When you look at the figures for the 56 S, there's hardly a performance petrol car on the market today, that can match the running costs of the 56 S.

It'll be diesel power for the next car, if the S goes back. :(

Swapsies...?

drb5374
27th March 2008, 12:09 PM
Lol, nice try, but no thanks fella. :)

drb5374
2nd April 2008, 05:26 PM
Just a wee update...had a reply from the dealer, albeit NOT the person i addressed it to. Instead of the Dealer principal replying, it was infact the Service Manager! Why he replied to my letter is quite beyond me.

Either way, the painting of the bodywork was so-called a "goodwill gesture".....i never realised giving a defective car was the norm? They are open for me to have the mechanical issues dealt with through the warranty....but they don't have a fix for the engine noise yet....so how can they sort that?

Will get another letter written up and sent the same way as before, only this time i think i will be pressing even more for a refund. I left it open to discussion, but they don't want it.....not that surprising, but i'm a fair guy up to a point.