PDA

View Full Version : New Plasma / LCD Telly..

Burple
18th March 2008, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, I might be looking for a nice new TV soon, and aas a starting point I'm setting the goal posts to something possibly 32 - 37", somewhere in the region of £500- £700. Preferably 1080p. It's mostly gonna be used for normal telly (for now, but I want it to last a while ;):D), possibly HD content / gaming from a PC, and my Xbox. Anybody round these parts with a better knowledge of them than me have any hints, tips or recommendations?

I was having a quick look at these earlier...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-37LZD70-Widescreen1080P-Full-Freeview/dp/tech-data/B000VT2XW8/ref=de_a_smtd?ie=UTF8&qid=1205852233&sr=1-16

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40V3000-Widescreen-Bravia-Freeview/dp/tech-data/B000VZ602Q/ref=de_a_smtd?ie=UTF8&qid=1205852233&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M87BDX-XEU-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B000O12E6S/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205852233&sr=1-22

Gismo
18th March 2008, 04:29 PM
Let the plasma v LCD debate begin :D
By far the best are Pioneer, however, i have a similar Sony to the one you linked to, you've mentioned everything you need and that Sony has it all, even 3 HDMI sockets, sadly, only 1 component, but at least 2 scarts, though they defeat the point of HD.
It's just down to your personal taste and pocket :)

Just hurry up and get a PS3 and COD4 ;)

AndyP & Lenore
18th March 2008, 04:49 PM
Ewan, have a look at this Toshiba (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32C3035-Widescreen-Ready-Freeview/dp/B000W49BB8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205854889&sr=8-1) on Amazon.

Lenore and I have been looking for a new 32" or 37" for our dining room for ages now and can't seem to land on one model and stick to it long enough to buy it.

The Sony 32" is probably the best picture we've seen. The Toshiba is a very close second with possible a brighter picture. We've had a few Sony TV's and they seldom put a foot wrong. But we have a 26" in the dining room just now and it is pants. The vertical viewing angle is shockingly poor. The TV is wall mounted beside our kitchen table and we've had to tip the TV down to face the middle of the table to be able to see the picture. I've had a look at the TV in a few shops and ALL the Sony 26" LCD's do the same. So it's not a fault, just badly designed.

Lenore's folks have the Toshiba 37" and it looks amazing. An all round great looking telly.

Samsung's are nice and thin, but there's just something about them that makes me not buy one - not sure why.

Personally. I'd go for the 40" Sony. Whatever you go for, if you want it to last a while, I would go a size bigger than what you really need just now, as in a year or two, if you go for a 32" it's gonna look small.

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
18th March 2008, 04:50 PM
Forgot to say, up to 40" I'd go for LCD, 42"'s and above, Plasma all the way. No question. LCD's simply can NOT beat plasma picture quality - all IMHO.

A.;)

Scottie
18th March 2008, 05:46 PM
Ewan,

If your after advice you could try these guys.

Kaine is a good guy and knows his stuff.

http://www.jk-audiovisual.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=21&Itemid=50

Craig
18th March 2008, 06:26 PM
I would agree with the size issues. I was going to replace my 32" CRT Telly (which I gave someone as an anchor for their boat. :rolleyes: ) with a 37" LCD, and this was all that Mrs D would accept, however managed to talk her into a 42" Plasma and haven't looked back since. I think the 37" would not have been big enough after a while..:cool:

Also you will find the price difference to be negligible..;)

I recently bought 2 x 42" LCD's for our Call Centre and they were Toshiba Regza with built in Freeview and 2 HDMI sockets. They only came in about £600 and they look fantastic. :D

think it was THIS TV (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136433)

chillin4alivin
18th March 2008, 10:11 PM
ever tried play.com

My sony bravia is coming tomorrow....canna wait!!!

chillin4alivin
18th March 2008, 10:17 PM
ever tried play.com

My sony bravia is coming tomorrow....canna wait!!!

Sony Bravia 40" KDL-40W2000U HD 1080p Freeview with free sony dvd recorder £929 free p&P....great deal as that one is magic for gaming

www.play.com

Bazthemod
19th March 2008, 12:53 AM
Well since i work for a well known electrical retailer :p

Have to say samsung are great its actually a mixture of samsung and sharp screens that sony use in thier TVs

Obviously Pioneer and panasonic are top end toshiba are also good brand.:cool:

AndyP & Lenore
19th March 2008, 01:15 AM
Well since i work for a well known electrical retailer :p

Have to say samsung are great its actually a mixture of samsung and sharp screens that sony use in thier TVs

Obviously Pioneer and panasonic are top end toshiba are also good brand.:cool:

Baz, although Sony use Samsung screens am I right in saying the electronics that drive those screens are still designed and manufactured by the distributing brand. I.e., Sony = Samsung/Sharp Screen, Sony Electronics.

It's the same with Plasma's from what I recall. Despite there being 10 or 15 brands of TV, there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers of actual screens - but everyone still uses their own driving electronics.

A.

euan
19th March 2008, 09:20 AM
Certainly used to be the case Andy, as Phillips made most of the 24" screens on the market.

Bazthemod
19th March 2008, 11:09 AM
Very true but if i was personally buying a tv at the moment i would go for samsung all the way. I don't get the hype over sony and i look at them both nearly everyday. :(

Samsung use DNI Technology which is basically thier version of bravia and it looks superb.

New range of Samsungs have come out for middle of this year and already we have sold out of the 40" and sold off display beacuse stock went to quick. It had 100Hz and a 25,000:1 contrast rate we certainly dont do a sony close to those specs at them moment. Not to say that independant Sony centres don't though!

Granted you always get the customers that want panasonic or sony but more and more of them are leaving with samungs once they have seen the quality and got over the brand snobbery.

Lastly i think Samsung have the exterior design of thier sets spot on.

I should be a rep for them :D:cool:

Big Gordy
19th March 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm looking to buy a 32" or 37" samsung in a few months time Baz....could you do me a deal..??;) :D

Bazthemod
19th March 2008, 02:16 PM
haha we had the 37" cheaper than the 32" recently they flew out! :D

Give me a shout nearer time :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
19th March 2008, 06:54 PM
Quite a few stores were selling 37" LCD's under the price of the 32". Couldn't understand it at the time. One salesman told us it was because 32" are the most popular size just now, so there's a premium on them. But this same salesman was trying to convince me that Scart RBG looked better than Component. Spotty teenager.:rolleyes:

A.:D

Bazthemod
19th March 2008, 10:08 PM
Quite a few stores were selling 37" LCD's under the price of the 32". Couldn't understand it at the time. One salesman told us it was because 32" are the most popular size just now, so there's a premium on them. But this same salesman was trying to convince me that Scart RBG looked better than Component. Spotty teenager.:rolleyes:

Pffft component is next down from High Def you most of been in Comet :p

We use component signals to all our featured TVs the rest run off an aerial thats split 100 ways so looks really rubbish... makes our jobs harder.

We recently set up a display to show the difference between normal scarts and gold plated scarts and the difference is scary i never really belive the hype until i saw it so they are also worth considering.

Prices are all about stock levels if the 32" is low in stock they plummit the 37" to relive the stress of stroppy customers.

JCWmini
19th March 2008, 10:23 PM
You only really get th ebenifits of 1080p when you go 42"+ 50"-60" really shine with 1080p as do 100" projectors.

for 32" TV you really will not notice any difference.

Whats your HD source?

Moonshine
19th March 2008, 11:46 PM
i got a samsung 32" for my lounge anbout 6 months ago and it is really good, and got a great write un pn what HiFi, and i think their styling is spot on... i was so impressed i gor a 24" samsung to wall mount in teh kitchen, and again, it is lovely (tho wasn't cheap), but it was bar far the best styled one i could find.

G

Burple
21st March 2008, 12:21 AM
Cheers guys for all the replies, I've been away on a course in London the last couple of days, so I've not been around here. Looks like a lot of good advice as always, so I'll start looking into it properly in a couple of weeks - lots of stuff to sort out first...
I'll have a look at that site when I get a spare wee while at work tomorro Fi, looks good tho! :cool:

p.s.. I can recommend Covent Garden and Chinatown for a great night out! ...erm.. I mean somewhere to relax after a long train journey in first class ;);):D It's mental with tourists tho even at this time of year!!:D

AndyP & Lenore
21st March 2008, 12:35 AM
Ewan, is it not freaky the way their public transport system down there just.... WORKS!

Neil & I go down twice a year for conferences. Fly down, Heathrow/Gatwick express into London, tube to Picadilly or Brixton depending on where conference is, tube back to Victoria or Paddington, then Heathrow/Gatwick express back to airport. Every single time it is almost faultless. I sat and measured the length of time the tube doors were open when the train stopped in a station once. 15 seconds, from when the train stopped to starting to move again. In that time, there must have been 30 or 40 people got off and what seemed like 50 or 60 got on - just near our doorway - which had space for about 20 people:rolleyes:. Mental!:eek:

AeroJonny
21st March 2008, 01:37 AM
You only really get th ebenifits of 1080p when you go 42"+ 50"-60" really shine with 1080p as do 100" projectors.

for 32" TV you really will not notice any difference.

Whats your HD source?

You may not notice a difference in tv with a 32"er, but if you're using a hi def gaming input, then it's like night and day. I know because my mate's got a sensible sized telly...we just end up dizzy and nautious after playing COD4 and madden on my 42" :D

euan
21st March 2008, 09:15 AM
Ewan, is it not freaky the way their public transport system down there just.... WORKS!

Neil & I go down twice a year for conferences. Fly down, Heathrow/Gatwick express into London, tube to Picadilly or Brixton depending on where conference is, tube back to Victoria or Paddington, then Heathrow/Gatwick express back to airport. Every single time it is almost faultless. I sat and measured the length of time the tube doors were open when the train stopped in a station once. 15 seconds, from when the train stopped to starting to move again. In that time, there must have been 30 or 40 people got off and what seemed like 50 or 60 got on - just near our doorway - which had space for about 20 people:rolleyes:. Mental!:eek:

It's much better than it used to be - Ken the Robber has done a good job on public transport!

Covent Garden is great, so many great little pubs!

Burple
21st March 2008, 11:11 AM

Totally insane!! But I have to say I loved the way it just worked! - Once we'd got our bearings and worked out the ticket machines! :o we gave ourselves 45 mins to get from the BCS, just off the Strand, to get back to Kings Cross for the train, we were there in less than 15 mins! :D:D
I'll say nothing about the 'real' trains to get back home! :mad:;)

Burple
21st March 2008, 11:12 AM
It's much better than it used to be - Ken the Robber has done a good job on public transport!

Covent Garden is great, so many great little pubs!

It is that! :D we ended up in the Porterhouse for most of the night ...I think:D

Burple
21st March 2008, 12:50 PM
THis looks like a fairly good starting point from what I can see so far..
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136433

Right Baz... impress me with the deal you could do me.
One caveat... mention 'extended warranty' and you're getting a boot in the baws! :p:p:D:D

I'll have a look at some Samsungs this afternoons I think. as has been mentioned on here a few times, I love their styling too! :cool:

Burple
21st March 2008, 12:52 PM
Whats your HD source?

nothing yet really, except the Xbox, but hopefully a nice new PC, and when the market settles down, some form of HD disc player.. :cool:

Big Gordy
21st March 2008, 12:56 PM
Let me know how you get on Euan as you seem to treading the same path I will be on in a few months time:rolleyes: :D

Burple
21st March 2008, 02:05 PM
Let me know how you get on Euan as you seem to treading the same path I will be on in a few months time:rolleyes: :D

will do.. I think the Samsungs seem to be winning the argument - for me anyway- cos I think they look far better than the competition. Parents just bought one too (from some dodgy geezer in Currys ;)) and I like the way it looks...

Had a wee look about, and came across the Samsung 40" LE40M87BDX/XEU.
Comet have it for £699 just now, £50 cheaper than Play.com ;)
It appears to tick all the right boxes, so I'll nip in sometime and check it out in the flesh as it were :D

Bazthemod
21st March 2008, 05:25 PM
Parents just bought one too (from some dodgy geezer in Currys ;)) and I like the way it looks...

Oi I resemble that remark! :D

Your rents got the nice LG its basically all the same features as the 32" samsung but with the hard drive inbuilt. ;)

We also have the 40" samsung on offer until wednesday it appears comet have matched us! :rolleyes: Shock

I cant do alot on the price of the tv itself because margins are too tight with sale lines but i can shave a fair bit off accessories such as gold plated scarts and HD cables they are worth it!

Oh and i will def get an extended warranty out of you... pay monthly... forever? :p Oh and while we are here we can get u on a finance option cause you dont really want to pay for it today ;)

Craig
21st March 2008, 05:45 PM
Ewan,

what about THIS ONE...... (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134875)

it is said to look exactly like a Samsung but at about £300 off. Also said to be nearly identical in connections etc and it is full 1080p and has 2 hdmi. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Burple
21st March 2008, 05:50 PM
I cant do alot on the price of the tv itself because margins are too tight with sale lines but i can shave a fair bit off accessories such as gold plated scarts and HD cables they are worth it!

Oh and i will def get an extended warranty out of you... pay monthly... forever? :p Oh and while we are here we can get u on a finance option cause you dont really want to pay for it today ;)

Jeebus.. he's been brainwashed already.. proper company man now eh? ;)
Finance?? ha ha ha.. not fookin likely this time :D I'm getting some debts cleared. Not a chance I'd be giving an extra penny to that company ;) (if they're the cheapest option when it's time to buy :p) they had enough blood sweat and tears from me when I had a student job!! :D

I'll be looking seriously in 3 -4 weeks, I'll be up to see you...

Bazthemod
21st March 2008, 09:40 PM
Jeebus.. he's been brainwashed already.. proper company man now eh? ;)
Finance?? ha ha ha.. not fookin likely this time :D I'm getting some debts cleared. Not a chance I'd be giving an extra penny to that company ;) (if they're the cheapest option when it's time to buy :p) they had enough blood sweat and tears from me when I had a student job!! :D

I'll be looking seriously in 3 -4 weeks, I'll be up to see you...

<Hands in notice> :p