PDA

View Full Version : Puncture Repair Products - Any Good?

Wul
7th April 2003, 11:36 PM
Has anyone used any of these products before? If so are they any good?

- Tyresafe
- OKO Z7
- Slime
- Ultra Seal
- Mini's own mobility stuff!

Basically they are all the same and work in the same manner ie a liquid plug for punctures.

I have run-flat goodyear tyres and have a 3-day slow puncture. Upon visiting my local run-flat authorised National Tyres Depot the manager advised me that the only run-flat tyre that can be repaired is the Dunlop one! Goodyear and Pirelli can't! To repair the tyre is about £12 to replace it is £140! and as it has plenty tread left on it i know which i'd rather!

However Goodyear have even issued a memo categorically stating that their run-flat tyres must NEVER be repaired!

Smells like a cartel to me! the sales team didn't tell me they couldn't be repaired when they sold me the car!

Any help on this one is much appreciated.:question:
:question:

knaone
8th April 2003, 12:42 AM
Well my philosphy (ok, i cant spell it) is that you only have 4 contacts with the road, and you want them to be as good as possible, you dont want something happening to you, your car etc all because of a tyre. personally i wouldnt chance it and would replace the tyre, but it is up to you

*this is merely my opinion and what i would do, i know there is nothing wrong with repairs i am just over cautious*

David :)

Gismo
8th April 2003, 08:08 PM
Wul, don't even hesitate on this one, the puncture repair kits are only for getting you to an authorised repair centre.
It's a lot of money for a new tyre, but relatively cheap for piece of mind.
For your info, i have the tyreseal option, hope i never have to use it!
As a side note, you should always inform the tyre centre that you have used the goo.

Sorry mate, you gotta change it :(

Bonnie Scotland

Wul
8th April 2003, 08:12 PM
Oh Bugger - i was afraid of that!

Cheers for the advice chaps!

Fontal
8th April 2003, 08:39 PM
I have to agree it's not worth the risk.

Richard

Wul
9th April 2003, 06:57 PM
Have booked my car in on thurs to get tyresafe www.tyresafe.com installed to my tyres this should protect the three good tyres and slow the progress of the slow till the end of the month so i can afford a new tyre! £19.95 for all four wheels and lasts the lifetime of the tyres - looks like the stuff has been developed pretty well since the days of tyreweld!