PDA

View Full Version : Honest Opinions Only

miniscot00
26th February 2003, 06:09 AM
I'd be interested to know what the honest opinions of classic mini enthusiasts are of new MINIs coming along to meets and runs and viceversa - would they be happy coming along to new MINI meets?
:question::cool:

lightbody
26th February 2003, 07:03 AM
Every person has their own opinion! I'm a MINI owning Classic enthusiast so can see both sides!

They are seriously different vehicles and tend to be driven by completely different types of people.

I'd think Mini owners would love to come to a MINI event to show you that their cars are smaller and nipper than our huge goliaths!

Willie M
26th February 2003, 04:56 PM
I've attended a couple of 'mixed' meets this year and have to say that I (+ my MINI) have been made most welcome. Sure there's a bit of banter (as lightbody alluded to) but I've found the majority of mini folks have a genuine interest in the MINI. A few of the folks I met are thinking on buying a MINI too.

I've always loved the mini myself, although sadly never owned one, and I think it would be good to see some runs or events that combined both MINI and mini. :cool:

miniscot00
26th February 2003, 06:08 PM
I've found that the majority of MINI owners have a love for the classic mini and many are former owners (some still are) however I don't find that this is always reciprocated. On several occasions I have heard of MINI drivers acknowledging classic drivers on the road only to be given the finger or similar gesture. There really is no neeeeeed!

Linda M
27th February 2003, 12:25 AM
I have NO problem with mixed MINI/mini meets :)

macblob
10th June 2003, 06:44 AM
Mixed meets are a good thing!!

Ive owned a classic mini , all be it just for a yr, until the rust took hold big time:disapprove:

The main reason i was interested in buying a MINI was due to the love of the classic.
Might have something to do with why i ordered my MINI 4 days after there release :D

Thistle Run was a good example of a good humoured mixed meeting i thought altough im new to this

bpirie1000
28th June 2003, 04:59 PM
Well how about this train of thought...

Co back to the mini hay day.. Were the classic minis all thrashed and driven hard?? waas tehre a doubt as to the place in the market that the mini would fill?????

I think so .. The New Mini is a Very nice car as is the Classic Mini

As a Mutual owner of 1961 Classic VAN and a New Mini I love the difference between them, The mini Name living on a joy as the Majority of people, (If not all) have Owned or have a story about a mini..
This means that Next geneeration Will also have stories on minis....

WEll that is My train of thought as a classic and a new owner...

Cheers Brian

Gismo
28th June 2003, 05:15 PM
Brian, are you trying to get your post count up with all these double posts???

Bonnie Scotland

Tahra
30th June 2003, 09:42 PM
Like Macblob, I was probably only interested in the new MINI since Id owned a classic Mini City as my first car - and you never forget your first ! I also did a lot of growing up sitting in the back of my Dad's assorted Minis.
I would really like to go to a combined meet just because I never went to one when I had Cedric... and one day I will have an original Cooper. Walnut dash, external door hinges, split windows, racing catches cant wait ! Unfortunately might take a while......

macblob
1st July 2003, 03:15 AM
Tahra, Scottish Mini Weekend is on aug 9th and 10th
at Scone Palace Park , Perth
Should be a good laugh. Im thinking of going to it, as i would imagine a good few from NMS are.
Theres details on www.caledonianminiclub.com

Cheers Brian

Ps. Is anyone else going???

I think its 5 quid entry and u can camp over on saturday night :)

Tahra
3rd July 2003, 08:00 PM
Id forgotten about that - saw it on the Mini Clan site, but then completely dropped out of my head...nothing unusual there then. Hopefully we'll be able to get to that since we're only 30mins from Perth. Good excuse not to camp though - No tent !

macblob
3rd July 2003, 08:46 PM
No tent and no make up etc etc etc eh Tahra lol:p

niall
3rd July 2003, 11:35 PM
I like both, in fact I just helped my dad relive his youth by buying an old one this morning - he gets it tonight and should be great fun

Tahra
4th July 2003, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

No tent and no make up etc etc etc eh Tahra lol:p

Nah Im just old enough that I appreciate a comfy bed !!! ( and no midges attacking you in the night.....:dead:)

broken_brian
2nd November 2003, 12:50 AM
I was not much of a fan of the new mini when it first came out but over the last couple of years of seeing it on the road i hve started to like it so much that iam now planning 2 get one. plus being a passenger in one helped 2 convert me 2 comfortable mini motoring that corners just as well as my mini classic

john-apex
2nd November 2003, 02:47 AM
Like the old Mini, Love the new Mini lots.:p

Mini Martyn
26th November 2003, 06:37 AM
I always loved the old one, but due to my size and my brothers size couldnt really fit in them (too tall) :D

When the new one came out I was like naw its not really me. After making the bad mistake of buying a BMW Compact for a couple of months a thought yeh lets have a look and that was it I WANTED ONE!!!! :cool:

Still love the old ones though they are still very cool!

seany
26th November 2003, 07:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Tahra, Scottish Mini Weekend is on aug 9th and 10th
at Scone Palace Park , Perth
Should be a good laugh. Im thinking of going to it, as i would imagine a good few from NMS are.
Theres details on www.caledonianminiclub.com

Cheers Brian

Ps. Is anyone else going???

I think its 5 quid entry and u can camp over on saturday night :)

me going to the scottish weekend, MMM is doing some for it.

seany
26th November 2003, 07:30 PM
like the old one's, but love the new one's, don't have a problams with the old one.

euan
4th December 2003, 07:07 PM
I always loved the old car and until 3 months had never driven one. Then my old man bought a monte carlo replica, wide boy kit, K&N filter, sports exhaust, 4 spotters, the whole thing. So when i go home thats what i drive :) I loved it, just kept grinning like an idiot as you fling it about. Much like what i was like when my MINI was first delivered.

As an aside, he had it parked one day in front of a new MINI and got a note on the mini - Love your car, from your new MINI friend :)

bpirie1000
6th December 2003, 05:25 PM
well I am lovin averything Mini related.

I have a1961 mini vintage van. Built by myself and a Coupe of others Well box's of bits...

I have had a variety of classic minis. Ranging from a BROWN 1.0 ( remeber those LOW n Loud) to a full on 1.3i sports pack with 13x7 superlights and well everything..

Still love to drive them but like the comfort of the New Motor.

personal opinion
Classic 10 out of 10
new 10.5 out of 10 :cool: