PDA

View Full Version : Best Route

Sheilz
11th March 2008, 10:54 PM
Within the next few days I have to drive to Wales and would appreciate if anyone can recommend the best route given that I managed Oxford only because I was able to tail another mini! While I would rather not think about it I do have a tendency to take wrong turnings while large complex road circuits tend to freak me out a bit.

I did have the option of flying to Birmingham and returning the same day but I felt this left me with no scope for my usual wrong exits etc given that its Merthyr Tydfil that I'm going to and its roughly two and half hours drive from Birmingham. Can just see myself spending the whole day doing circuits of the roads around the airport getting no where very fast.

Has anyone got any ideas? Basically I want to miss the bigger road intersections and will have the luxury of a nights sleep before heading back again.

Gismo
11th March 2008, 11:29 PM
Not sure how you would see this, but, head to Glasgow, then take the A74 southbound, then M6 and then at Birmingham take the M5.
Loads of different roads off from there and given that you have a sat nav as well.....................:rolleyes:

Craig
11th March 2008, 11:38 PM
don't think you mean the M1 BS... :rolleyes: that's on the wrong side of the country, think you mean M74, which joins the M6 and as you say then the M5.;)

It's fairly straight forward and you can then take the smaller roads into Wales.. :cool:

Gismo
11th March 2008, 11:45 PM
don't think you mean the M1 BS... :rolleyes: that's on the wrong side of the country, think you mean M74, which joins the M6 and as you say then the M5.;)

It's fairly straight forward and you can then take the smaller roads into Wales.. :cool:
Yep, changed it, the M74 becomes the A74(M) if we are being picky :D

euan
12th March 2008, 09:35 AM
It depends on how far into Wales your going, but the M5 will keep you on the right path.

If you can, try and avoid going around Birmingham in the busier times, it's very busy and not all that pleasant at those times.

Sheilz
12th March 2008, 10:34 PM
It depends on how far into Wales your going, but the M5 will keep you on the right path.

If you can, try and avoid going around Birmingham in the busier times, it's very busy and not all that pleasant at those times.

Thanks (everyone). I've been advised to keep well away from Birmingham. However, my big boss decided today that I'm not going ;) Just want to be a fly on the wall when the Review Sen hears about this :eek: This is the second time this trip has been on and off. However I am DEFO going down nearer the end of the month but will be flying to Cardiff and driving from there coz will have a wee nipper with me and imagine expecting a wee yin to sit for ten hours in a car, or even worse, a train :eek::eek:
O the joys of budget cuts :(