PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers

Mark R
11th March 2008, 02:44 PM
Anyone know how I can tell what width wheel spacers I'd need? The tyres are wider than the standard/spare and the only problem is a little scraping on the wheel arch when turned hard-lock to the left.

I assume wheel spacers are what I need to correct this but I've seen them in four different sizes and have no idea where to begin.

Thanks. :D

Burple
11th March 2008, 06:18 PM
You'd need to know what width and offset the wheels were first.. at least the make and model of the wheels ;) ...or pics if you have em.

Once they're identified, then we should be able to help, or point you in the direction of someone who can....
are they 10", 12", 3"?.. I've had 6x10s on a classic with no rubbing at all, and 6x13 Superlites too.. I think the 7x13s on one of my cars needed spacers on the rears, pretty sure the fronts were ok tho..

Now.. I could swear I've got a set (at least 2) in me dad's shed... He's been promising for a while to dump... er.. drop off all the Mini bits he's found to me, so if they appear, and they're what you need, you can have 'em :D

Burple
11th March 2008, 06:22 PM
..alternatively, if it's only one wheel scraping on left lock, it could be that the fron subframe is slighlty out of alignment, a wee bit twisted, or needs the mounts replaced.

Where on the arch is it scraping? the outer metal where the plastic arch is? or on the inside (the footwell floor)?
There's different solutions to where wheels are scraping ;)

Mark R
12th March 2008, 12:27 AM
I'll take a look tomorrow and try and find out where exactly the wheel is rubbing against. I just bought the car a few days ago now so couldn't tell you exactly. I do know it's 12" Yokohama's (might not have the spelling right for that) and was told that there wasn't an issue until the wider tyres were fitted.

Like I said I'll get more details for you on it tomorrow.

ianking
12th March 2008, 09:33 AM
Why dont you post up a pic of the car and give us some details of it. :D

Mark R
12th March 2008, 11:14 AM
It's in the works, just haven't had time to take photos.:)

Burple
12th March 2008, 03:07 PM
If you've got standard 12" Cooper alloys on, the yokohama 510s should fit with no problems.. if it's rubbing I'm afraid it might be the subframe / mounts out of allignment and / or the front tie bars too..

And if you're gonna replace those mountings / bushes, you might as well replace the bushes in the top engine steady bracket! :D:D

Mark R
12th March 2008, 04:56 PM
The tyres are Yokohama A539's. 165/60/R12 on Superlite alloys. Found out where the rubbing occurs so here's a photo of the front right wheel.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2172/2329323458_ee15aa981f.jpg

Burple
12th March 2008, 06:01 PM
That, to me might suggest that the front driver's side tie bar bush may be worn out, or the arm buckled a wee bit, or the front right (at least) subframe mount is on it's way out. Especially if it's only on one side... when the car's on full right lock, how big is the gap between the left wheel and the arch at the same point?
...assuming of course that the front of the car is as straight as it looks, ie, the bottom of the wing / front panel ain't bent. To be honest tho, from the pic, it looks straight :cool::D

Mark R
13th March 2008, 12:53 AM
I'm starting to notice it's not exclusively full lock that produces the rubbing. Some times full lock doesn't produce the noise but near full lock, say a quarter turn out, will. I'll check how the other side lines up once the day light hits and get back to you.

Perhaps I'll just end up replacing mounts/bushes here and there. After all it won't hurt to have new mounts/bushes.

Mark R
13th March 2008, 12:54 AM
Just a quick note, the previous owner recently replaced these parts as listed if that helps narrow down anything?

New front subframe teardrop mounts

Top and bottom ball joints and wheel bearings on both sides

Mark R
1st April 2008, 09:44 PM
To further this, I was told the best way to fix it is to just put a washer in to give it a little more space. The right side is a little lower then the left. That being said I still have to wonder if the suspension or dampers can be adjusted to bring it up rather than a make-shift solution that was suggested by a mechanic.

Anyone any suggestions on what ti give a go?

Mo
2nd April 2008, 10:21 AM
Never used any washers on the front but I have done so on the back, but only as a temporary measure until I could get new cones.

The washer goes on between the knuckle and the suspension trumpet with the calculation of the rise in height in suspension will be 4 x the thickness of the washer.

Has the car been fitted with Adjusta or Smootha-ride suspension ? if so it could just need adjusting to even it out.

If its standard then it could be one of the rubber cones is more compressed than the other and they may need replaced.

Gismo
2nd April 2008, 10:26 AM
If its standard then it could be one of the rubber cones is more compressed than the other and they may need replaced.
That's what i was thinking, there's been a few bad reports of a bad batch of cones on the mini clan site from various dealers

Mo
2nd April 2008, 10:29 AM
Tell me about it, Mo's now running with her nose in the air and uprated cones, thanks to Mini Master.;)

Burple
2nd April 2008, 11:00 AM
..Another thought.. It could be just that the Knuckle joint (under the Rubber suspension donut) on the Driver's side has compressed a wee bit - Probably why you've been told to put a washer in it. If the Driver's side is a wee bit lower, that could explain why :D Unless you've got adjustable suspension on it-adjust-a-rides or similar, it can be a pain. It should be easy enough to find out- you should be able to see through the gap in the suspension tower from under the wheel arch - if there are two quite large nuts visible, then it's adjustable. If not then it'll be standard.. The adjustable sets (one variety anyway) can be adjusted easily with a long allen key type tool.
Afraid if it's the standard type, you'll have to beg steal or borrow a cone suspension compressor tool, and that means a bit more effort, separating the ball joints, compressing the spring to get at the knuckle joint. To be fair, if you're going that far, you might as well replace it (actually both sides) rather than just plonking a washer under one side..
It's not life threatening to your Mini, but it's one of those blooming annoying wee things that pops up now and again! ;):rolleyes::D

I'm sure there'll be better online guides to help tho! :)