PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a change

ianking
11th March 2008, 02:38 PM
As the title says thinking about a change.

Between Sarah and I we are on our 7th new mini now and not sure if we should get another or try something different for a wee while.

Possible thoughts that we have come up with are

Stick to mini and go for a new JCW car.
6 month old 130 M Sport 5dr in Le Mans Blue
1 year old Audi S3 in yellow or blue. (have found a yellow one)
Stick with the R56 S for another year.

All dependant on trade in values of the R56 S.
I do like to change the car every year so I have to think which one will loose the least £ in a year or so.
I havnt driven the S3 as yet and its the dearest car of the lot so it might actually be outwith affordability.

Drove the 130 and wow what a go-er. Went to look at one earlier today and V nice. fella looking into the £ side of things.
Dont want to rush into anything either.

I do like the social side of things with the mini.
Would I still be welcome with another car??????

My mate tells me there are a couple of good BMW clubs in the area and he regularly goes to meets etc with them.

Any thoughts on the vehicles listed and what to do?????

Scottie
11th March 2008, 03:00 PM
Ian,

What will make the 130 M Sport better than the 120d that you had.

Ok I understand the engine side of things but when you think about it's still the same car, same interior design same exterior etc etc etc. wouldn't go back to what you've already had if I remember you weren't that happy with the 1'er.

On a Mini forum most folks are going to tell you to keep the S.

I'd say just buy what you want no matter the make because like me you can always come back to a Mini when the mood takes for another change in motor and then go to another brand when the mood takes etc etc etc. CHop and change that way to get to try most brands.:rolleyes: :p :cool:

euan
11th March 2008, 03:34 PM
When you say a JCW car, do you mean the one that's out now or the more powerful one coming?

Personally, if running costs are not a consideration, I'd have the S3 for a laugh as I've always liked them, and then the 130i as I love the noise and poise they have. But as Fi says, it's still a pretty standard car inside and would you be ok with that?

I say that mainly as you've had so many Minis! I would be waiting for the new JCW car before changing to another Mini, and if that's an option then I would possibly do that as it sounds like it's going to be great fun ;-)
But if you want to do it now, S3 for me.

AeroJonny
11th March 2008, 03:35 PM
If I were you and the money was right I'd go for the S.....the S3 that is. When I walked out into the carpark after the karting and that black S3 was sitting there I practically soiled myself. Did you see it??

What Fiona's saying makes perfect sense, if you didn't have a great experience with the 1er in the past and you sold the car, then why go back?

On the depreciation side of things...having had the S for a year, surely it's taken it's biggest drop and next year's will be less? Wouldn't the same be true of buying another new car?

ianking
11th March 2008, 03:43 PM
Yes its the new JCW car comming out in the summer that I was thinking of.

The noise of the 130 is the thing that draws me to it.

I did see the S3 after the karting and to put it simply, I also soiled myself. It was stunning. If it goes as well as it looks then what a car it will be.

I dont do many miles now so a thirstier car isnt really an issue any more.

Scottie
11th March 2008, 03:44 PM
yeh but remember my show room tax thread if your buying a new car now is the time to do it.

The JCW will more than likely have another hefty price on top of the list price.

ianking
11th March 2008, 03:45 PM
My 120D was fine but I just felt it was a bit boring and grown up for someone my age. I was only 23 when I got it.
The 130 seems a bit more fun and its not an oil burner. :D

Scottie
11th March 2008, 03:51 PM
My 120D was fine but I just felt it was a bit boring and grown up for someone my age. I was only 23 when I got it.
The 130 seems a bit more fun and its not an oil burner. :D

The styling is still the same though Ian. The only thing to change is the performance.

If your going to make a change then change for a car you've not had before.

You may not do alot of miles but the big engine cars cost more to run more to tax more to insure. Loose more when you come to sell.

Why pay all that money for something that sits in your drive 90% of the time.

euan
11th March 2008, 03:56 PM
I do like the 130i as well, let's stick up for it a bit :-)

I got shot of my last 3 series for a six cylinder, and it makes the driving experience so much better. The way the car drives and sounds is awesome. A 130i would give you all that, but look like any other 1 on the road.

Could be a tasty little stealth mobile, but I'd probably still go for an S3!

drb5374
11th March 2008, 04:03 PM
I somehow think you'll be a bit let down by the S3.

265hp is a nice amount, but when you take into account the car is sitting at pretty much 1500kgs and with 4wd drivetrain losses, i think you'd have more "fun" in the JCW.....and it won't lose as much depreciation i don't think. The GP still holds it's money well!

As for the 1 series, i'd always wish i'd got the 3 door or even the coupe, if my budget would stretch. Running costs change dramatically when you go out of Mini ownership too remember.

Totally down to yourself though at the end of the day.

ianking
11th March 2008, 04:34 PM
I really dont like the 3 door or Coupe 1 series. The 5 door I do like thuogh.

If its the S3 then you can get it tweeked by star performance up to 300bhp for £500. A well worth mod I think.

I think the 130 and the S3 are both kind of wolfs in sheeps clothing to the non car fans out there. Once you put your foot down then they will be fliers.

The Dogfather
11th March 2008, 04:56 PM
I'd stick with the MINI and get a VX220 Turbo as a second car.

ianking
11th March 2008, 05:00 PM
All ready have a 2nd car, the classic mini so dont really need a 3rd car.

Craig
11th March 2008, 05:52 PM
If it's just for fun for a year (cos as you stated, you just like to keep them for a year), I would get a GP. It's only got 2 seats, but how often do you carry more passengers, and I am sure you have another car tucked away. ;)

It will hold it's value well (as they have done already) and when the year is up, if you want to go down the sensible route, you won't have lost a fortune. You could also pick up a second hand JCW Car that is due out this summer as I know you like to look after the pennies. :cool:

Bottom line? Stick with a MINI. ;) :D After all the problems I had, I just couldn't leave the social scene and the fabulous times I have had in the last 4 and half years. Without doubt the MINI scene and in particular, this site has been one of the things that made me get another MINI.. :o :)

ianking
11th March 2008, 06:56 PM
Yes Craig it is the social side and this site in particular that makes me hessitant to change away from Mini, although I do fancy owning a car that doesnt have Mini associated shakes and rattles if you know what I mean.

Craig
11th March 2008, 07:21 PM
Yes Craig it is the social side and this site in particular that makes me hessitant to change away from Mini, although I do fancy owning a car that doesnt have Mini associated shakes and rattles if you know what I mean.

A GP is not an R56... ;) :)

N12 JLK
11th March 2008, 09:41 PM
Keep the MINI or I'll send you to bed without an cake:mad: :p :)

KenL
11th March 2008, 09:56 PM
I say keep the current S for another year, then get the JCW.

Changing a car EVERY year is a big £ loser.

The 1-series is not very nice looking in my opinion. The new 3-series Coupe is though.

AndyP & Lenore
12th March 2008, 01:03 AM
All nice cars Ian, but I couldn't leave the MINI scene.;)

That said, you'd be most welcome on any of our runs, MINI or not.:D

A.:D

jamiec
12th March 2008, 01:10 AM
Golf R32?

Although I saw the new jcw in evo and it looked very nice. Will be a dear mini though once you spec it up

Big Gordy
12th March 2008, 09:30 AM
Golf R32?

Don't believe all the hype:rolleyes: One of the young whippersnappers at my work has one and he say's its terrible:eek: He did change from a Solberg Scooby too it so I don't know if that has any bearing on it:o He's getting shot of it soon:rolleyes: He's also looking at an A3:D Not to keen on ANY of the current BMW range at the moment.......sorry:o :)

euan
12th March 2008, 09:41 AM
Most VW dealers I know don't like the R32 either, Edition 30GTi is the one to have as it's faster and better handling.

Ken - 3 series coupe - really? I'm not sold on it at all.

Scottie
12th March 2008, 09:41 AM
Ian,

I thought Sarah was wanting an E70.???

ianking
12th March 2008, 02:52 PM
Yes she does and so do I but its still a bit expensive for us at the moment by the time I add on essentials such as leather, big wheels, runner boards, sports steering wheel, hi-fi upgrade and anthracite roof to name but a few.

ianking
13th March 2008, 01:49 PM
Went to have a wee spy at the Audis today as I was going past Edinburgh Audi. Mmm they are very nice.
Nicer than the 1 series so rulled out the 130.

Mini or Audi now.

FergusM
13th March 2008, 02:05 PM
My wife is getting a new A4 (if she still has a job that is) and it is lovely...dash etc is way better looking than a BMW.

I would watch very carefully what emissions ratings the cars have, sounds like with the regrading a lot are going to get hammered and that will of course have a massive knock on effect in residuals.

Not tempted to just get the JCW upgrade added to yours ? Might keep you happy for another year, and certainly a cheaper option than getting a new car.

Scottie
13th March 2008, 02:11 PM
:D How about a Toyota Pirus:D

AeroJonny
13th March 2008, 03:29 PM
Yes she does and so do I but its still a bit expensive for us at the moment by the time I add on essentials such as leather, big wheels, runner boards, sports steering wheel, hi-fi upgrade and anthracite roof to name but a few.

Douglas park recently took one as p/x from a guy that lives near me...think it ticks your boxes, really nice anthracitey big rims :D

He replaced it with an M3 the lucky sod;)

illegalhunter
13th March 2008, 07:33 PM
AUDI no brainer

Big Gordy
13th March 2008, 07:52 PM
Have to say I do like my A4:D

Gordons_cooper_wrks
13th March 2008, 08:56 PM
Go for the VW!! Great cars. I changed to one from my mini and i am well impressed. (awaiting the abuse!!!lol):)

Scottie
13th March 2008, 09:00 PM
Go for the VW!! Great cars. I changed to one from my mini and i am well impressed. (awaiting the abuse!!!lol):)

(Off Topic warning to myself!!)

Hey Gordons cooper works. Have you seen the Polo ad on TV with the wee dog.

One of my fav ads:D :D :D

<back on topic now>:rolleyes: ;)

Gismo
13th March 2008, 09:33 PM

Fi, your in the OT&B forum anyway :)

N12 JLK
13th March 2008, 10:36 PM
On Gordons point Ive got a Jetta SE 140tdi for work, its a good car and is the same as a golf really but It doesnt excite me in the same way as a MINI does, to me the styling both interior and exterior on the MINI still stands out way above the competition.

Sweeney
13th March 2008, 11:23 PM
In order to avoid pissing people off etc ill just say the following :P

If you have a set budget, bring all cars you consider vaguely into a list (Leon cupra fr, meganne 225, clio v6 etc), compare the pros and cons and buy what your heart sets on...

As you say your changing cars very often, so you end up buying a car and don't like it as much as you thought you would, sell it on and get something else?

Obviously if financing then it isn't as simple...

All im saying is buy what you want, not what others suggest as only you will like what you like ;)

Scottie
13th March 2008, 11:25 PM

well hold on and wait for the Q5 to come out.:cool: :cool: :cool:

sedgie
13th March 2008, 11:28 PM
Lol Ian tell me your secret!...how can you afford all these new cars!? cos we cannae:o and we are twice your age!:p maybe we hae **** jobs lol or maybe we pay cash!? can you let me know!:p ;)

ianking
14th March 2008, 09:48 AM
Had a wee look at the Golf Gti 30 edition. Its nice too and is a fair bit cheaper than equivalent A3 but I seem to prefer the A3.

Sedgie, im not exactly going to spill all my financial status on here am I, but I dont smoke, only take a drink on a Sat with my mates, dont have kids and we both have good jobs (for our age).

N12 JLK
14th March 2008, 12:27 PM
Come on Ian let them all know you are a pimp;)

ianking
14th March 2008, 12:34 PM
Come on Ian let them all know you are a pimp;)

And you are one of my 'Boys', now back to work young man. :D :D :D

N12 JLK
14th March 2008, 12:57 PM
OK Huggy Bear, I'm massaging as fast as I can, now were did I put that back to black.

Big Gordy
14th March 2008, 01:05 PM
Go for the VW!! Great cars

I would'nt go as far as to say they were great:rolleyes: Depends what you think is great I suppose:o R8, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Zonda....now there great in my opinion:D

drb5374
14th March 2008, 01:06 PM
I know it's my own opinion, but thought i'd throw it in there, as you'd probably spend about the same on the S3.....the Z4 Coupe?

I'd have that if i were you, in grey. Mmmmmmmmm lush. :D

Gordons_cooper_wrks
14th March 2008, 11:26 PM
Had a wee look at the Golf Gti 30 edition. Its nice too and is a fair bit cheaper than equivalent A3 but I seem to prefer the A3.

Sedgie, im not exactly going to spill all my financial status on here am I, but I dont smoke, only take a drink on a Sat with my mates, dont have kids and we both have good jobs (for our age).

Dont buy an edition 30. There only driver by tossers!!! :D :D :D If you do buy one my only request is that you remove the stupid dealer sticker and tax disc holder from it! What you think sweeney?? lol

Gordons_cooper_wrks
14th March 2008, 11:26 PM

Hey Gordons cooper works. Have you seen the Polo ad on TV with the wee dog.

One of my fav ads:D :D :D

no ive not seen this one. will look out for it. ta