PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Budget

Scottie
10th March 2008, 10:59 PM
Are we prepared.

Will Mr darling put the 2p on fuel duty.

Showroom tax to hit all bands other than A and B I think.

It's enough to drive you to drink but wait after the introduction of the alcohol “accelerator” we can't afford that. So we will all just take a holiday abroad to escape it all but wait we can't afford that once they introduce heavier taxes on the aviation industry.

Where will it end.

AndyP & Lenore
10th March 2008, 11:42 PM
"......... and so Mr Speaker I conclude my budget speech with one final tax raising tool. With all the extra taxes, increased taxes and tax accelerators I've announced today, I think it is appropriate to levy a small charge on Suicides. Effective yesterday anyone found committing suicide will be charged a figure commensurate with the final value of the estate of the deceased at the highest point of it's value in the 10 years prior to the said suicide. Of course the only way these funds will be used is to fund a new quango which will be required to investigate the finances of all suicide victims. We have estimated this new tax will bring in a further £10bn to the treasury and the quango will cost not less than £10.1bn to run. I commend this budget to the house.":rolleyes:

Arse.

A.:mad:

Scottie
11th March 2008, 12:11 AM
:D...................

Scottie
12th March 2008, 03:18 PM
Fuel duty was due to increase by 2p in April - the increase will be postponed to October.

There will be a further increase in fuel duty of 0.5p in 2010.

"We must reduce congestion on our roads, but we can't build way out of congestion."

There will be new funding to test road charging technology.

Low-carbon cars and new technologies will cut emissions further, according to Mr Darling. manufacturers need to be encouraged to make vehicles more efficient, but the Chancellor believes the road tax system should do more.

From 2009, the Chancellor proposes a major reform of vehicle excise duty to encourage people to drive clean cars.

Duncan Stewart
12th March 2008, 03:48 PM
Road tax for petrol Cooper up £5 (to £120) this year :( but down to £90 next year (2009/10) :D , might SORN mine for a month next year to get the cheaper rate (who called Fifers tight :o )
Dooper in 2009/10 will be free first year and £20 year after :eek:

Craig
12th March 2008, 06:21 PM
Dooper looks like a very good option then... ;)

euan
12th March 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm squeezing into the 300 quid bracket for tax, that's a LOAD of money for nothing when you get taxed like an eejit for petrol.

Think an old style S will be in the same bracket?

jamiec
12th March 2008, 07:11 PM
1st gen cooper s will go up to 210 is this right? or is it 310? now ive read it again

illegalhunter
12th March 2008, 08:18 PM
Did you no humans only produce 3% of the worlds co2 . MtEtna bursting into like last week produced about a 100 years worth of human output of co2. Tax that ya robbin barstewards.

duncan
12th March 2008, 08:51 PM
Did you no humans only produce 3% of the worlds co2 . MtEtna bursting into like last week produced about a 100 years worth of human output of co2. Tax that ya robbin barstewards.

Try reducing the CO2 output on volcanos then.

KenL
12th March 2008, 09:09 PM

Please post your source of this info - sounds interesting!

vintageb3
12th March 2008, 10:33 PM
I think Road Tax is cheap...always have done. I paid £205 For my "S" this year. This is peanuts over a year if you stop and think about it. I do think that about 1p of that £205 is spent on roads though:rolleyes:

Fuel prices on the other hand are out of the box. I filled up both my vans today and it cost me £130. (Actually...I correct myself...one van wasn't filled but 3/4 full). Actually I will correct myself again...fuel price wasn't bad...its the duty on the fuel that's out of the box.

Road tax is cheap....

mark

vintageb3
13th March 2008, 12:43 AM
Found these figures online:

MINI Cooper S: 1,598cc supercharged petrol: 0-60: 7.1 seconds; top speed: 135mph; combined mpg 33.6; CO2 emissions 207g/km;

If these figures are correct....the old "S" won't be in the high bracket for Road Tax anyway...will it?

mark

The Dogfather
13th March 2008, 07:21 AM

Sorry but that's rubbish, Mt Etna hasn't erupted since 2007. As for the CO2 figure, total fantasy.

drb5374
13th March 2008, 08:38 AM
The budget and in fact all taxes have made me feel GREAT!

Being so used to taxing scoobs for the past 7 years, have shown me just how good the S is.

Hopefully it will help stop people buying heavy fuel using cars, this will spurr manufacturers to get their engines into better brackets, but still with the go-go we expect.

We were looking at the tax for my dad's RR Sport V6 diesel and it's in band G. Considering this is the same band as the V8 diesel and indeed the V8 petrol, to say he was a bit miffed was an understatment! £400 for taxing a big deisel sounds mad, but it would have made him think twice about buying it, if he knew what he does now, ESPECIALLY when you look at the BMW X5 deisel....it's in band F, £190 cheaper! :eek:

illegalhunter
13th March 2008, 09:13 AM
Ken have a wee read at page 6 on in this article Global Warming is all about TAX
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RwdQeggnkoEC&pg=PT51&lpg=PT51&dq=sun+temp&source=web&ots=Gv6FIleM93&sig=bGIc63EvVTmT2jx84_PEyFaqGiU&hl=en#PPT26,M1

euan
13th March 2008, 09:46 AM
BMW are on the ball with this though. I read somewhere (might even be on here) that if you added up all the CO2 emissions on new cars it had reduced last year by X% (think it was 12% but can't for the life of me remember), of which nearly all of it was the reduction BMW had made by the efficient dynamics systems on MINI and BMWs. So reducing CO2 can be done if you invest in the technology. However if you were to buy a used car for 12K in the higher bands, your going to end up paying 10% of the purchase price just in tax. A load of normal family cars are in that bracket and that's the area the normal person in the street will be buying a car who probably won't check the tax bands, and then they'll get stumped with a large bill. That's the people I feel slightly sorry for (although everyone should look into it from the start!)

Completely agree with Vintage on the tax on petrol. It's now at a ridiculous level and has only been getting worse and worse recently.

Scottie
13th March 2008, 10:48 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7292110.stm

Scottie
13th March 2008, 10:51 AM
Completely agree with Vintage on the tax on petrol. It's now at a ridiculous level and has only been getting worse and worse recently.

Euan, Duty has only risen by 2ppl since September 2006. It's the barrel price that has been the problem recently. Oh and the war in Iraq- America etc etc but lets not go there;) :o

euan
13th March 2008, 11:46 AM
True, but it was too high in 2006 ;-)

Smurf
13th March 2008, 01:40 PM
Road tax for petrol Cooper up £5 (to £120) this year :( but down to £90 next year (2009/10) :D , might SORN mine for a month next year to get the cheaper rate (who called Fifers tight :o )
Dooper in 2009/10 will be free first year and £20 year after :eek:

That must be for the R56 Cooper?
My tax was due end of Feb, and was £90 for 6 months, and about £166 for a year!! It's a petrol Cooper I have, but an 05 plate...

Scottie
13th March 2008, 01:49 PM
don't forget about the other one that has slipped through a year early...that would be the upper Earnings threshold for higher rate tax payers (£40k +) so from april 6th those in the higher brack will be paying £520 a year extra NI, losing you on your pay packet £43.33, the Income tax banding won't hit until next april but then you'll save a 1/3'rd of the increase in NI...slimey gits...

FergusM
13th March 2008, 02:03 PM
Big thread going on about re-grading of all post 2001 cars on pistoheads, sounds like the super charged mini will go up to £300 a year tax. http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=508653

Ooch !

Duncan Stewart
13th March 2008, 06:29 PM
That must be for the R56 Cooper?
My tax was due end of Feb, and was £90 for 6 months, and about £166 for a year!! It's a petrol Cooper I have, but an 05 plate...

Yup R56 Cooper.
Yours (166 CO2) will be £170 this year and fiver extra per year after

Full figures for new bands at
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/Budget2008/DG_073093