PDA

View Full Version : When to change winter alloys wheels off

vintageb3
10th March 2008, 12:18 AM
As above....What's the consensus of opinion amongst the clean brigade?

Is it April?

Thanks in advance

mark

AndyP & Lenore
10th March 2008, 12:52 AM
Don't have winter/summer wheels - no rich enough to have extra sets of wheels just hanging about doing nothing all summer/winter.

But I would have thought you'd want to swap the summer wheels back on once there's no real risk of the coooncil's spreading alloy-wheel-eating grit/salt on the roads.

Of course, then you're into the "Right lads, lets get out and wet tar then loose stone chip some roads which don't require it" season. Then you'd be worried about the chips hitting the fins on your nice summer alloys.

A.:(

Burple
10th March 2008, 01:46 AM
Mine went on with new boots on Thurs.. :o:D:D

vintageb3
10th March 2008, 02:01 AM
Well...the grit thing was what i had in mind...but I remember snow in june one year;)...

I've never bothered with winter wheels before...but I do want to keep my R95's nice. Also...two sets of tyres last longer than one set...not sure if its more expensive in the long run..

In truth...don't really have time at the mo to change them over. Haven't driven the car much over the winter....and when I have...its not been much fun with the 16" 's I have for winter. The car sways like hell on the extra rubber. Most Sundays...I have just used the van for shopping etc...

Looking forward to the better weather coming in....and it being warm enough to spend time on the car...;)

mark

The Dogfather
10th March 2008, 07:34 AM
I put my summer wheels back on this weekend, didn't really notice much difference apart from less road noise an slightly better turn in. However I have identical 17'' wheels just winter tyres.

The winter tyres had worn down 4mm on the rear and less than 2 on the front. Looks like I might have been enjoying powersliding too much :D

ianking
10th March 2008, 09:48 AM
Council stop gritting as of 31st March unless there are any severe weather warnings at the start of april. Some of the wagons her ehave all ready had their gritting buckets removed and turned back into flat bed pick ups.

Craig
10th March 2008, 10:31 AM
Mark,

my summer wheels will be going on after the 1st of April, ie prob the 2nd...;)

As Ian says, most councils don't grit the roads routinely after 31st March unless they know its going to be seriously bad conditions.

Cannae wait... :cool: :cool:

The Dogfather
10th March 2008, 11:01 AM
Noticed a big difference today between the Summer/Winter tyres, lots of standing water on the back roads and my car was all over the place compared to the winter tyres. However accelerating out of corners the car had more grip and there's a lot less wheelspin.

vintageb3
10th March 2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the responses...will wait until April then.

I will probably ask the same question next year though

Mezmo the Memory man

Crombers
11th March 2008, 05:24 PM
As above....What's the consensus of opinion amongst the clean brigade?

Is it April?

Thanks in advance

mark

The MINI Pit Crew just tell me what to do :rolleyes:

Mind you this year one of them has been a bit busy of late ;)

Craig
11th March 2008, 05:57 PM
The MINI Pit Crew just tell me what to do :rolleyes:

Mind you this year one of them has been a bit busy of late ;)

aye, he's been a bit conspicuous by his abscence.. :rolleyes: ;)

:D

ajamesj
11th March 2008, 08:06 PM
Just put mine on today

Ivano
12th March 2008, 03:07 PM
My JCW Alloys went back on about 3 weeks ago when i got my JCW Suspension and Brakes fitted as the 15" pepperpots would not fit with the JCW Brakes plus i wanted the KDS Alignment/Set Up done with the 18" alloys.. They have taken a bit of hammering though with the weather over the last few weeks but hopefully the weather will improve soon, after all it is March..

MarcoV
12th March 2008, 03:53 PM
Just check the weather forecast in your area! If the weather is going to be crap keep the winter alloys on if not then change them! Simple as that!