PDA

View Full Version : Sky plus HD

N12 JLK
9th March 2008, 11:11 PM
Does anyone have any problems when recording HD programmes on Sky Plus??

We have had a problem on Channel 4 HD, so as it was a fairly new channel we just stuck to C4 when recording anything. But we recorded Lost on Sky One HD and it was the same. Missed the first 15 mins, but only consulation is that we probably missed 2 mins of the show and the rest ads:mad:

Anyway, when we play it back there is no sound and the picture pauses and jumps ahead a couple of seconds.

Will phone Sky tomorrow, but just wandered if anyone else has probs.

Craig
9th March 2008, 11:16 PM
not got enough money to pay for Sky HD. Rip off if you ask me... I have paid more than £4K to sky over the years and they want £299 for a box and another £10 per month.... I don't think so... and don't even get me started on their customer service... If I could have Virgin I would, but there is no cable in my street.. :mad:

Sweeney
9th March 2008, 11:30 PM
Never had any problems with our sky + and HD, phoned them up?

eddie 44
9th March 2008, 11:56 PM
yes... have had same sort of problems with sky HD box... would record, but not play back...had to delete programme :mad: now on my 2nd hd box , as when engineer called he had,nt a clue... it used to just click , then shut down , as you fast forwarded programmes... had to turn off at wall.
but then again... my old sky+ box was a pain too..

AndyP & Lenore
10th March 2008, 12:44 AM
Jason we get this. Happens almost on a daily basis. Got really p!ssed off with it so I called Sky. They talked me through doing a Sky + rebuild - basically a defrag of the hard drive. Made no difference. So I called sky again and this guy talked me through doing a full system reset - which includes a virtual hard drive re-format. Made no difference.:rolleyes:

So I'm just waiting until we have virtually nothing saved before I call them again and get them out to replace/repair the box.

A.:rolleyes:

Gismo
10th March 2008, 10:24 AM
Sounds lke a hard drive failure, call sky and insist on a replacement box, just say that you've already formatted the drive etc
Assuming yours is still under warranty??
If not, you can replace the hard drive yourself and indeed it is a known upgrade in the sky online community (not sky themselves)
This way you can install any suitable sized hard drive you want that increases the capacity

Craig
10th March 2008, 10:36 AM
Alan, do you happen to know what type of drive it is, SATA, IDE, SCSI?

might upgrade mine if it is that easy as mine is only a 40GB drive..:cool:

Gismo
10th March 2008, 10:39 AM
I'm sure it's the EIDE type, but, maybe later models have moved onto SATA.
You'd have to open the box to find out

Here's a wee link (http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/page18.htm#drive)

Craig
10th March 2008, 10:41 AM
I'm sure it's the EIDE type, but, maybe later models have moved onto SATA.
You'd have to open the box to find out

ah, OK, might give that a bash, it was just if you knew off the top of that wee heid of yours.. ;)

Gismo
10th March 2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks Craig :rolleyes: check my previous post, i added a wee link, there is a spin up time requirement for sky plus boxes, so, if you are upgrading get the fastest drive you can

FergusM
10th March 2008, 06:57 PM
Dont get a 7200 drive either, run to hot for it. I replaced my 40gb driver with a Samsung Spin point drive... 250GB of space :)