PDA

View Full Version : A Few Problems

RyanK
9th March 2008, 03:56 PM
Alritey, wondering if you folks could point me in the right direction as to what is wrong with my car. Here are some of the symptoms!!! :(

There is a very loud, annoying grinding noise coming from the gearbox area. It only grinds when you are travelling in a gear obviously, and when you put in the clutch the noise stops. It sounds the worst when the car is slowing down and when cruising in 5th. I think it could be a thrust bearing however hopefully its only a new clutch. A thrust bearing is big bucks! :rolleyes:
Second of all, my steering wheel shakes when accelerating through 50-70 + between 2nd and 3rd gear. Now I have fitted a 3 spoke facelift wheel however I don't think this is the problem...as the tightening bolt for the wheel is far from loose:confused:
Last of all there is another strange noise coming from the engine. Everytime I accelerate there is a sort of "whooshing" sound, its the similar noise to a supercharger although not the same if you know where im coming from. Just a small distinctive noise that relates to the noise of an S, Its very annoying though!I hope you folks can give me some advice, point me in the right direction etc. All help greatfully appreciated, although with my crappy descriptions good luck:D

Im seriously considering selling the car, there has been a problem with it at least every couple of months since I obtained ownership! :mad:

Cheers, Ryan:)

Craig
9th March 2008, 04:30 PM
your steering wobble sounds like a wheel not balanced correctly. It has been known for the stick on weights that they use to balance wheels to drop off. Worth getting the balancing checked on your front wheels first as it's fairly cheap to get done., :) if not, it could be something bent, but I would have thought you would have felt it before now..

as for the woosh noise - does sound like your car is drawing in air somehow. Have a look under the bonnet for anything loose :confused: Not really sure on this one.

as for the grinding noise... no idea sorry mate. :o

AeroJonny
9th March 2008, 04:42 PM
Have you got an induction kit? If you do, try checking over the air hoses.

RyanK
9th March 2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks very much for the speedy reply!

Cheers Craig, Its going into the local garage on Friday for the full day. They are going to look for problems, I will mention to them about the balancing etc. I only hope it aint a driveshaft!

I don't have an induction kit, but my air filter doesn't have a Jubilee clip holding it...from me being an idiot when I passed my test :). However I've been driving it for ages without the jubilee clip and no noise. I will get it looked into though.

About the grinding noise, im now assuming its the release bearing within the clutch. Heres hoping its not too expensive!

Cheers!

MINI William
9th March 2008, 05:35 PM
not so good to hear about your problems.just get a new car lol:D