PDA

View Full Version : Air horns - Craig D in particular

Smurf
6th March 2008, 01:32 PM
A friend of mine has some Dixie / Dukes of Hazzard air horns, and has agreed (with a little persuasion ;) ) to fit them to my car... For use in private only of course ;)

Craig - do I remember you having something similar fitted to AJ? In the spare wheel well?

If so... any tips or hints as to how to do it? :D

Many thanks!!

Big Gordy
6th March 2008, 02:53 PM
Think Bonnie Scotland had these in the spare wheel well on his first 'S' as well:cool:

Gismo
6th March 2008, 02:58 PM
Think Bonnie Scotland had these in the spare wheel well on his first 'S' as well:cool:
Ooh, nearly right ;) my air horn (singular) was bolted to the heat shield under the car, but, the wiring went through the battery box, not the spare wheel bwell, S's had the battery placed there

Craig
6th March 2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah Vaila, had these on AJ.:) Mounted them in the spare wheel carrier. I would take off the carrier, mount the horns with the horn bit pointing to the back of the car with all the pipe work. I would mount the compressor nearest to the nearside wheel (if your looking at the back of the car, the back left corner of the carrier, if this makes sense). ;)

You will find a rubber gromet in the floor of the boot (under the tools) so pass the wires through there. I wired the horns to a switch under the centre console (slightly hidden so the rozzers didn't see it :rolleyes: :D ) and ran a power feed from the battery (with a fuse).

Hope this helps, any other questions, just let me know. ;)

KenL
6th March 2008, 06:24 PM
Please God, no! Don't do it...

GAJ
6th March 2008, 07:53 PM
Gotta agree. Saying that, I've always fancied a klaxon!

Craig
6th March 2008, 08:06 PM
Gotta agree. Saying that, I've always fancied a klaxon!

that's one thing on my LONG list too.. :D

Craig
6th March 2008, 08:09 PM
Please God, no! Don't do it...

When your on a run with people and you go through and town and set them off, especially near kids, it puts a smile on everyones face... :D

I remember coming back from the thistle run which finished in Dunoon. Got on the boat to Gourock and sounded my horns at MINI/Mini's on the docks waiting on the next boat and they sounded back, then the captain of the boat joined in with his BIG horn... COOL! :cool:

at the end of the day Ken, it's just for fun and you don't see them, they are all hidden.

ianking
6th March 2008, 08:12 PM
I really fancy an old style 'AWOOGA' type horn for my classic mini. You fancy wiring one up for me Craig. :D

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2008, 08:13 PM
Can I have ice cream tunes fitted?:eek: :D

Gismo
6th March 2008, 08:16 PM
I really fancy an old style 'AWOOGA' type horn for my classic mini. You fancy wiring one up for me Craig. :D
John wired one up to my old S, great stuff :D

Craig
6th March 2008, 08:19 PM

would love to Ian, but I am not any use with electrics, I have a man that does it for me. :o :rolleyes: :D . Fits polis electrics for a living. :)

ianking
6th March 2008, 08:26 PM
No worries.

One of my mates sets up police cars and ambulances etc for a living so will get him to do it. :D

Craig
6th March 2008, 08:30 PM
No worries.

One of my mates sets up police cars and ambulances etc for a living so will get him to do it. :D

mind and pay him the going rate now... :)

Gordons_cooper_wrks
6th March 2008, 08:57 PM
ive got a set of dixie horns if anyone wants them. offers!!!!!!:D :D

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2008, 09:02 PM
ive got a set of dixie horns if anyone wants them. offers!!!!!!:D :D

Put it in a proper for sale thread if you want to sell them.;)

A.:D

Smurf
6th March 2008, 10:02 PM
:D :D :D

Thank you!! Thanks for the instructions Craig, my pal says that he understands it all perfectly, and reckons it's no bother to do that to wee Smurfy.

As for why I want them, I've been a big fan of the Dukes of Hazzard since I was tiny (no comments please), and always loved the horns. It's just for a laugh, and for using on the odd run here and there. I'd never be a pest with them.

Sounds like I might have started something though... ;) ;)

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2008, 11:03 PM
<<<<<<<Has a vision of Vaila in Daisy Duke hot pants and starts to cry.:eek: :D :D :D

KenL
6th March 2008, 11:05 PM
When your on a run with people and you go through and town and set them off, especially near kids, it puts a smile on everyones face... :D

I think using a horn, when not really necessary, is as annoying as people using fog lights when not required. :rolleyes: :p :D

KenL
6th March 2008, 11:07 PM
I'd never be a pest with them.

In a panto stylee...................Oh yes you will!!!

Craig
7th March 2008, 12:11 AM
In a panto stylee...................Oh yes you will!!!

jings man, how OLD are you...

were you EVER under 40? :eek: :rolleyes:

Smurf
7th March 2008, 09:15 AM
<<<<<<<Has a vision of Vaila in Daisy Duke hot pants and starts to cry.:eek: :D :D :D

ROFL!!! :D :eek:
You WOULD cry, it ain't a pretty sight... :p

G19RNT
7th March 2008, 07:18 PM
i had a dukes of hazzard horn i just ran a cable in through the boot and wired it to a fag lighter plug which when not in use the plug was stored under the seat i'am on the look out on ebay 4 an american truck horn at the moment

KenL
7th March 2008, 07:53 PM
jings man, how OLD are you...

were you EVER under 40? :eek: :rolleyes:

Yes, but I have also got over being under 12 ;)

Smurf
10th March 2008, 04:05 PM
Yes, but I have also got over being under 12 ;)

Well, I guess being young at heart must run in my family :p My Dad's just turned 67 and bought himself a nice wee tuning chip for his Volvo for his birthday ;)

He started me off on modifying cars (he built a car for me which I drove every day for 7.5 years), and I got nothing but grins when I mentioned my latest plan... :D

Burple
10th March 2008, 04:27 PM
:D:D:D

Just having visions of seeing Smurf disappearing over hump-backed bridges in mid air, on this year's Thistle Run with the horn blasting! awesome! :cool::cool::cool:

weefossy
18th March 2008, 10:54 PM
We had our Dixi horns in the Boot of the S convertible. Easy to wire to battery. The compressor that powers them needs quite a thick / strong cable. I think it's about 30 amps, if that makes sense. I fitted ours into a box with a cable connector, so that they were easy to take in and out and looked neat and tidy. Haven't thought where to put them in the Clubman.