PDA

View Full Version : Email SPAM

mini saltire
5th March 2008, 01:00 PM
OMG I am getting over 200 Spam messages a day now!! I used to get around 20 which I could live with but this is nearly every goddam minute!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Is anyone else experiencing an increase? :confused:

Sweeney
5th March 2008, 02:09 PM
It just happens, if you post your email anywhere (including here) that just makes it worse

And if youve replied to any spam it means they know your address is active and bombard you with more, only way to avoid whilst keeping your current address is to filter it.

(i get about 600 a day in work)

Craig
5th March 2008, 04:31 PM
yeah, as Sweeney says, you just have to take a bit of time and filter out the rubbish, you find that most come from the same regular domains, so I filter them out..

or get a bit of software to do it for you.. I have Norton and although people slag it off, I have had it for 7 years and never had a problem with it (Touch Wood) and it filters nearly all of my spam. :D

euan
5th March 2008, 04:44 PM
Not sure what you use for your email, but I use Thunderbird as a email client and it has it's own junk filter which is pretty good. Other option is to link it to a googlemail account and take advantage of their filtering.

Link (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?&answer=21288)

Mini Ecosse
5th March 2008, 04:45 PM
I thought my 4 or 5 a day was bad enough, feel great after reading this thread:) :)

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2008, 12:00 AM
Mark, you have the email address "??? @ saltirevehicles . com" or something like that don't you?

I'm gonna guess you're using a reasonably priced web hosting service that gives you that email address, but for sending emails you need to use your internet connection service provider.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Tell me if I'm right. 'Cos I had the same problem with my own web site's email address and may be able to help you out here.

A.:D

AeroJonny
6th March 2008, 12:55 AM
I just got a scamtastic email allegedly in response to my ad for mum's car on mini2...

02 Cooper Chili Auto

Hello,

I am very interested in your car ,do give me

your last offer and present condition of the car,Get

to me as soon as possible via my email

m.parker0009@yahoo.com

pls do include all the websites you paste it for sale

for me to confirm you are a geniune seller...

Only serious reply needed.

...very good mate

mini saltire
6th March 2008, 08:54 AM
Mark, you have the email address "??? @ saltirevehicles . com" or something like that don't you?

I'm gonna guess you're using a reasonably priced web hosting service that gives you that email address, but for sending emails you need to use your internet connection service provider.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Tell me if I'm right. 'Cos I had the same problem with my own web site's email address and may be able to help you out here.

A.:D

Hi Andy,

Yup that sounds about right. I have called my techie guy and he is looking into sending function! I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Mark

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2008, 09:57 AM
OK. On your email settings on the control panel for your site hosting package, you may have it set to receive "anything" @ saltirevehicles . com. That needs changed to "whatever_you_want_to_use" @ saltireveicles . com. like mark @ saltirevehicles . com or info @ saltirevehicles . com. or something like that which is specific, rather than "anything". And also click the box (if there is one) to "bounce" anything that isn't addressed to your chosen email address.

I had the exact same problem a few months ago; getting 2 or 3 hundreds spams a day. Now I get 1 or 2. Because I use the specific email address webmaster @ reachercreatures . com. I used to accept "anything" @ reachercreatures . com.

If none of this is making sense, PM me your mobile and I'll talk you through it.

A.;)