PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Cooper CVT. advice needed URGENT

brabus1
4th March 2008, 09:41 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm at the end of my tether with my mini cooper 2002 CVT. I was hoping that someone on here would be able to advise me.

My CVT gearbox stopid working on christmas eve. I was driving a long normally came to a round about with the entry on a slight hill. I pressed the accel pedal and nothing..it just rev'ed away as if it wasn't in gear (was in Drive). I tried changing to 1 st in SDmodel and again just rev'ed like it was in neutral. Then the code EP was displayed on the wee screen.

I ended up getting it towed away to Douglas Parks in Hillington for repair.

The called me a few days later and told me I needed a new CVT box at a cost of 5Kplus vat just for the part excluding fitment.
After picking myself up of the floor..I asked whatwas wrong with the current CVT unit. They (Bill Dean) said that the boxs was knackered and that it fails when the oil gets hot. This was his only explanation I asked for more detail...but that was all he would say.

I couldn't afford this amount for a new CVT. So thru a contact I have thru Modern Mini mag. I got the CVT box sent down south to be recond.

The reconditioners..remanufactured the box and could find NO fault.
The CVT was refitted by Douglas Parks in Hillington.

I got the mini back with a dashboard like a christmas tree, and this joker Bill Dean said it was like that when he got it...this is NOT true.

Back to the CVT

I got the mini back with free disco dashboard and the CVT reconded fitted.

3 times in the last month..the same thing has happened....I left the mini for 40 minutes..started it and it drove fine without issue.

Today it happened again...I left it for an hour tried again and still no joy..and this EP code appeared in on the screen. It was reving like not in gear, then al of a sudden it took off and I was able to get home.

Now when I try to drive it...the engine starts freely with out issue but even though it's in gear it won't move.

I am really at the end of my tether....I have wrote to both BMW UK and Mini UK and both have basically told me to get to...

Any advice, ideas, comments or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Does anyone know the best place in Scotland for mini repairs and CVT gearbox experts...

I am Skunnered with it and I am sick of the attitude of this BIll Dean and mini UK.

Many thanks

Ronnie

AndyP & Lenore
4th March 2008, 09:53 PM
Deary Me.:( Ronnie it sounds like you are living a nightmare. :mad:

We had a 2003 Cooper CVT and had absolutely no problems with it at all.:o

It does sound like an overheat problem to me. By waiting after the problem occurs, you're letting whatever has overheated cool down, and therefore work again. Although that doesn't explain the refusal to select gears on a cold start.:confused: :confused:

I'm afraid I don't know of any gearbox repairers in Scotland. Can anyone else help there?

It does seem like MINI UK have a bad approach to customers who have repetitive problems with their cars.

How many miles has your car done?

A.:(

brabus1
4th March 2008, 10:12 PM
Hi there,

I can select the gear and it appears on the wee screen..but acts like it's in neutral.

I just tried again there and it drove and went thru gears..but there was a mad whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise.

It's really geting me down....I don't understand why Bill Dean at parks will not telling me whats wrong with it except ( the geat box doesn't work..when it gets hot).

There is no sequence of events or patterns before it happens. I can drive all day for a week no problem..motorways, b roads stop start traffic no issue..then just as I think the gremlin has gone..it happens all over again..4 hours I sat at the side of the road waitin gon it cooling down.

I have been a Classic mini and newfan as far back as I can remember....the only reason i went for the new mini was the seating position as I have a arthritic kneee...

Am starting to think a 84 mayfair would be more reliable.:confused:

Thanks for the feedback so far...

brabus1
4th March 2008, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know if/ and how you check the oil lvels in a CVT gearbox?

or is it a sealed system?

again any advice much appreciated.:confused:

vintageb3
4th March 2008, 10:44 PM
If you don't have faith with the dealer you are using...try and get a second opinion from an other dealer.

They may be more sympathetic...

mark

KenL
4th March 2008, 10:53 PM
Sounds terrible, sorry I can't really help.

For a bigger audience and hopefully more information, trying searching and posting on MINI2.com

Sweeney
4th March 2008, 11:00 PM
Youll get no where with douglas parks, as for the unit, it'll be sealed.

Gorbash12346
4th March 2008, 11:02 PM
haven't heard of this before but i will see what the other guys @ work can think of...

brabus1
5th March 2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks to those who have replied much appreciated!!!!!

P.s it's ripping my knitting

Take it easy

AndyP & Lenore
5th March 2008, 01:11 AM
Wanted to do anything I could to help you out with advice etc., so I had a trawl through MINI2.

I see you posted about this problem in December last year. In that post you say the dealer wanted £2k for the tranny. Not sure if the price has gone up or if the post in NMS (£5K) is a typo.

However, there seem to be a load of folk in the 'States who have had major transmission failures on CVT vehicles especially in the 30,000 to 60,000 mileage bracket. All these guys are facing similar experiences to you. Although it looks like MINI USA are a little more forthcoming in assisting with the cost. However some of these American folks are posting up that the tranny costs anything between $4,000 to $10,000!! to replace. Shocking amount of money. But usually it seems MINI USA will cover half the cost - occasionally more.

I think you do have a major problem. Because officially the vehicle is out of warranty and MINI have no legal obligation to repair/replace. I think your best bet is to find a more sympathetic dealer who will take up your fight with MINI for a "contribution" to the gearbox replacement.

The only other consideration is: when did you buy the car? Because if you bought it fairly close to the December date it went wrong you would possibly have some comeback on the retailer who sold it as they are bound by the sale of goods act and the goods they sell must be in accordance with the act at the time of sale and for "a reasonable period thereafter". Doesn't matter if it is a second hand car. But this does open up a whole trading standards issue, which you may not have the energy to fight - and of course, that is only if the car was purchased within that "reasonable" (note: not defined) period.

Best of luck.

AndyP

AeroJonny
5th March 2008, 01:21 AM
I'll sell you a nice CVT box for 7.5k...you get a free car with it ;)

Sorry to hear about your troubles :(

The Dogfather
5th March 2008, 07:53 AM
The only other consideration is: when did you buy the car? Because if you bought it fairly close to the December date it went wrong you would possibly have some comeback on the retailer who sold it as they are bound by the sale of goods act and the goods they sell must be in accordance with the act at the time of sale and for "a reasonable period thereafter". Doesn't matter if it is a second hand car. But this does open up a whole trading standards issue, which you may not have the energy to fight - and of course, that is only if the car was purchased within that "reasonable" (note: not defined) period.

Best of luck.

AndyP

Very good advice, any goods and services purchased are subject to the 'Sale of goods act' you need to have a chat with the local (to the area you bought the car from) trading standard/consumer advice people. Start here, they advise on who you need to talk to: -

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

Its not easy but most garages will sit up and take notice when you involve Trading Standards. They'll be able to advise what they consider to be a reasonable period.

Gorbash12346
5th March 2008, 10:04 PM
ok having spoken to a few of the guys at work the general thoughts are that if they where diagnosing the car they'd like to spend more time checkking the control unit it's input and output signals and the surrounding wiring rather than the gearbox itself. after what has been said i'm thinking a second opinion would be a good idea as the diagnosis so far doesn't exactly inspire confidence, for this i'd suggest a different dealership, any dealership (no i'm not trying to point people :rolleyes:) may i ask how much diagnosis time has been spent on the car @ the moment?

usually when the cvt gearbox breaks it's the metal band itself failing though apparently not this time

also following andy p/ lenore and vidal buffoon's advice would be a good idea regardless of the outcome

good luck
Gorbash