PDA

View Full Version : v-power or tesco super

N12 JLK
3rd March 2008, 10:01 PM
I would like some advise please, yesterday at the carting Mr Corsar asked me if we were still putting V-power in our S, I said yes and he then told me to use Tesco super as it had a higher Ron of 99 as V-power was 97ron, I thought that V-power was better than 97 and better for the performance of the car. Can someone clarify this for me.

Jason

vintageb3
3rd March 2008, 10:10 PM
So is it a case of do you do ron ron ron de do ron ron?:rolleyes:

mark

Scottie
3rd March 2008, 10:13 PM
Jason. All petrol starts life as ULSP with an Octane rating of 95ron.

Tesco: ULSP with an Octane of 99 via booster.

Shell V: is ULSP with an Octane of 97 via booster with extra cleaning additives added.

There was a time when 2 major oil companies shared the same additive.

but when V Power came out I asked about the additives and was told these loads are shipped from Swansea in the UK to the various terminals.

I remember this one night when I was out on one of those "evening" with the top brass from our local refinery about octane ratings and asked
if octane rating was an accurate rating or a minimum rating. I was told minimum So in other wards standard ULSP has a minimum rating of 95 but you could actually be getting 97 or maybe 96 Octane but never below 95.

Also the major oil companies refine to above the "standard" other third party companies buy fuel that is only refined to a "standard" Tesco get their load/volume applications either weekly or monthly (can't remember nowadays) once they have used that they will then buy their petrol from the third parties and add the octane booster.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd March 2008, 10:13 PM
Jason, we now use Tesco super. We've found it to be just as good as v-Power.:cool:

And if we spend more than £50 on shopping in Tesco's (easy the way I put food away) at the moment we get 5p/litre off.;)

A.:D

N12 JLK
3rd March 2008, 10:17 PM
So in a nutshell Tesco Super is better than V-power

AndyP & Lenore
3rd March 2008, 10:18 PM
So in a nutshell Tesco Super is better than V-power

Not really - just different. As Fi says, V-power has cleaning additives in it. Tesco's super doesn't. Not sure if our new engines "need" the additives or not or if they are really just for older (dirty) engines.:D

N12 JLK
3rd March 2008, 10:23 PM
ok , we will go to Tesco this week, mind you we are only £25 a week on fuel on our car so we would only save about a pound.

Scottie
3rd March 2008, 10:27 PM
Jason,

If cost was not brought into it. Then I would never buy my fuel from Tescos.

Or perhaps I should put that another way. I know the Tesco stations I would only buy from and the others I would only buy from them at the beginning of the month.;) and never after they have just received a delivery of fuel.

However these days buying fuel I would go to whoever was the cheapest.

N12 JLK
3rd March 2008, 10:31 PM
I remember you telling me this before in the days when I used to annoy you in The Muir of Ord. V-power it is then as money isnt the problem. well not at the moment

Scottie
3rd March 2008, 10:37 PM
I remember you telling me this before in the days when I used to annoy you in The Muir of Ord. V-power it is then as money isnt the problem. well not at the moment

Yip. There was only ever one supermarket I would have bought from country wide and that was Safeways but unfortunately they were bought out by Morrisons and they didn't want to enter in to a partnership with a major oil company.:o

as I said Tesco's is fine you just got to be aware through out the month you won't always be getting the "the major oil brands petrol" but you will always get the booster 99 octane rating.

Neil and Lorna
4th March 2008, 12:01 AM
According to Shells website V Power is 99 octane with cleaners.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=uk-en&FC2=&FC3=/uk-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/v-power_pkg/tech_spec/tech_spec.html

V Power all the way for me. Even in the Lexus I get 40 - 50 miles more per tank.

Neil.

The Dogfather
4th March 2008, 12:06 AM
Ran my MX5 on tesco's super, it didn't like it.

RyanK
4th March 2008, 12:47 AM
V Power For me!

AndyP & Lenore
4th March 2008, 01:25 AM
This report from (http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results_Update.shtml) Thorney Motorsport confirms Tesco's 99 is the best (for the price). However, I've no doubt they weren't privvy to ScottieDoop's insider knowledge on when and where to buy.

Scottie
4th March 2008, 08:53 AM
They do not report on what fuel is the cleanest or best quality but only on Octane rating.

Unless you go a branded retail site or in fact the small independents sites then you can never be sure of the quality of fuel

Actually see all those small sites that you think I'm not buying my fuel from that place these guys always get there fuel delivered via a third party but always loaded from the major terminals.

Take that retail site in the middle of Plean a more awful site you won't find but they get delivered by Baxter Johnstons who always load their petrol @ Grangemouth Terminal same with the one @ Larbert their supplier always loads @ grangemouth but these guys can't compete on price.

I know 99 is best or shooting that piston down the chamber faster ( I think that's what Octane does) than the rest all I was talking about is quality of product. I always buy at who is cheapest for diesel

stoney
4th March 2008, 08:27 PM
i allways use v-power :D :D i have the shell drivers card as well and get money off my fuel the more i put in the more i get back so i also use shell deisal aswell

i fine my van runs the best on it as i only have shell and esso neer bye but my van and car do not seem to like esso fuel so i use shell :D