PDA

View Full Version : Questions 2007 / 2008 MCS

bigcoyote
2nd March 2008, 11:25 PM
Hey all,

I am thinking about getting another MINI - possibly a 08 Clubman S or just an S. But I have some questions.....

1. Does the A/C work better in the "new" mini's than in the 1st generation?? My 04 MCS A/C was "ok" in the summer but not great.

2. How is the manual trans / clutch quality ??? are there still clutch issues like the 1st gen. had.

3. Engine quality?? Any problems?? I am curious as to how the new BMW/Pugeot engine is holding up.

4. Power compared to the 1st gen cars?? I drove an 08 S and was disappointed - It was a SHORT test drive so I didn't get to really open it up much but it felt slower then my 04 S - not as "snappy". But I know I didn't get to wind up the turbo much - So does the turbo really kick in at high revs? or is it just smoother power all around???

Thanks all :)

AndyP & Lenore
2nd March 2008, 11:58 PM
Hey all,

I am thinking about getting another MINI - possibly a 08 Clubman S or just an S. But I have some questions.....

1. Does the A/C work better in the "new" mini's than in the 1st generation?? My 04 MCS A/C was "ok" in the summer but not great.

2. How is the manual trans / clutch quality ??? are there still clutch issues like the 1st gen. had.

3. Engine quality?? Any problems?? I am curious as to how the new BMW/Pugeot engine is holding up.

4. Power compared to the 1st gen cars?? I drove an 08 S and was disappointed - It was a SHORT test drive so I didn't get to really open it up much but it felt slower then my 04 S - not as "snappy". But I know I didn't get to wind up the turbo much - So does the turbo really kick in at high revs? or is it just smoother power all around???

Thanks all :)

Hey Bigcoyote, glad you're thinking of returning to a MINI.

My opinions on your questions...

1. AC seems fine to me, but then the AC in the R53 seemed OK to me too. Of course, you're in..... Texas???..... Honestly, don't remember exactly where you are from, but I seem to remember from the pics you post up, it looks.... HOT! So not sure how well the AC will cope with extreme temps.

2. Only had Auto trans so can't comment - sorry. But there are a few folk who have had trouble with changing gears, no doubt they will be along soon to explain.

3. Oh dear. This is where you may come unstuck. There is certainly an issue with the Peugeot/BMW engine. Occasionally, on cold starts the engine can resemble a 1980's diesel engine. Very rattly. After 5 mins or so, the rattle goes away and doesn't come back until the next start-up. The trouble with this is there doesn't appear to be any constant: sometimes it happens when it's cold, sometimes when it's warm (ambient temp - not the car), sometimes it happens more often if you park downhill, sometimes not. There is also no continuity in dealers approach to the problem. Some are fixing the fault on first approach, some are denying there is a problem. Some cars which have been fixed, the fault comes back. I say a fault, but some dealers are saying it's not even a "fault", merely a "characteristic". Motoring File has a good report on this issue and is well worth a look. From personal experience, we have had the noise on about 4 or 5 occasions in 9 months. Never lasted more than 5 mins and long periods between occurrences. We have not approached a dealer to discuss the fault. Waiting until it is both acknowledged as a fault by MINI and we regard it as a fault enough to go through a warranty claim on it.

4. The R56's seem to take a while to loosen up. Our R56 Cooper S was wound tight as hell at first and took a good few weeks and a thousand miles or so to loosen up and get decent power from the engine. Also in November last year we fitted the JCW stage 1 kit for the R56. Big difference in power, torque and feel. Much happier now with the car from an available power point of view. We had our R53 modded and dyno'd to 208bhp, and with the JCW kit our R56 feels much faster than that. It's true to say the turbo just keeps giving power all the way through the rev range. there's no turbo "kick" or anything like that.

So, hope that helps mate, if you want any more info, just ask away.

A.:D

Craig
3rd March 2008, 04:56 PM
BigCoyote.

I don't really want to sound like doom and gloom, but I will tell you my experiences with the manual gearbox in the R56 Cooper S.

I had 2 cars within 11 months, both cars had a problem with the gear selection. This was mostly when changing down to 2nd gear from 4th or 3rd. MINI said it was a problem with the clutch and flywheel and replaced both. This only worked for a short while and then came back again. My first car was replaced under warranty as it had 13 different faults and some of them they couldn't fix.

The second car had the same gearbox issue and the diesel noise. Because of both of these faults, and the fact that MINI could not fix it (and didn't seem to know when they would be able to fix them) I decided to get rid of the car and take a loss.:( I could have kept it till I broke even, but to be honest, it is not only my way of getting to and from my work, but is my hobby and I like my car to be next to perfect :rolleyes: :D

You pays your money and takes your chances, there are those out there who have not heard the noises yet, so they may have fixed it for cars built now, who knows.. :confused:

illegalhunter
3rd March 2008, 07:10 PM
I would give it a miss, as mine was terrible

Gordons_cooper_wrks
3rd March 2008, 09:09 PM
Wats about a nice VW gti??

bigcoyote
3rd March 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the info!!!

I am still on the fence... I can pick up a new 08 clubman S for about $26K USD from my local MINI dealer OR I have found a few 06 Cooper S convertibles in the $20K USD range - all with low miles.

I know the convertibles are the same as my 04 S - and the clubman is the NEW r-56 style.

The 07's didn't show up here locally till march of 07 - so the oldest ones here are just about a year old - I know you got the 07's a few months before we did therefore I was just wondering how you all liked them.

The one I test drove had about 300 miles on it and I was not real impressed. It was an 08 Cooper S and it just seemed slower then my 04 - but it was very new and the motor may have been very tight.

Thanks all - and I will keep you posted!!!:D

N12 JLK
3rd March 2008, 10:29 PM
our R56 S is the dogs danglies to drive , very quick. We have had ours for 13 months now and I still get a HUGE grin when I drive it. The only problems we have had were a faulty fuel pump and the deisel noise, they were changed but I must admit the deisel noise did come back but not a bad as before. Only lasts for about 2 mins and then its away.
I will still get another one next year as its brill and we would miss all the friends on NMS we have made.

Burple
3rd March 2008, 10:52 PM
I am still on the fence... I can pick up a new 08 clubman S for about $26K USD from my local MINI dealer OR I have found a few 06 Cooper S convertibles in the $20K USD range - all with low miles.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow.. that's round about £13k just now!! If only!:rolleyes:;):D:D

Big Gordy
4th March 2008, 09:50 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
That's exactly what I though.......13 grand for a new 'S':( Wonder how much shipping is..!!