PDA

View Full Version : Invalidating Tlc

BOYROLLO
28th February 2008, 09:20 PM
If I fitted the Lohen tuning package to my cooper s would it invalidate my TLC????? anybody any ideas

N12 JLK
28th February 2008, 09:42 PM
I think it may

Craig
28th February 2008, 11:01 PM
all depends on the dealer that does your servicing. I have used 2 dealers with mods on my car (exhaust and induction kit) and they have not had any problems with servicing under tlc... Best to ask your dealer before hand, then you are covered. :)

KenL
28th February 2008, 11:15 PM
Like Craig said, it is up to the dealer.

However, the T&C's of the TLC agreement clearly say it will be invalidated if the car is modified!

A lot of the warranty could also be invalidated. Any engine, gearbox fault could be refused warranty work.

Craig
28th February 2008, 11:21 PM
Any engine, gearbox fault could be refused warranty work.

that's a bit of scare mongering there Ken if you don't mind me saying.

they would have to prove that any modification has caused the failure of other parts of the car. Yes, if you fit a short shifter on the gearbox, if the gearbox fails, you could have a fight, but if you fit a cat back exhaust and the cylinder head then goes, it is highly unlikely that that would be the cause and they could terminate your warranty. All of this is my understanding and by no way is it gospel. ;) :D

stoney
28th February 2008, 11:24 PM

they would have to prove that any modification has caused the failure of other parts of the car. Yes, if you fit a short shifter on the gearbox, if the gearbox fails, you could have a fight, but if you fit a cat back exhaust and the cylinder head then goes, it is highly unlikely that that would be the cause and they could terminate your warranty. All of this is my understanding and by no way is it gospel. ;) :D

thats bang on well i have used 3 diffrent dealers and had mods and they have never said a thing :D

Crombers
29th February 2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah but does'nt the Lohen tuning package involve a new gas flowed cylinder head etc etc, therefore a wee bitty more than alterations to air filters & exhausts ?

KenL
29th February 2008, 04:03 PM

That is why I said "could" and not "would". ;)

In this case, adding a tuning package that alters the engine performance, I think it would be very difficult to say that the mod was not a contributing factor to an engine or gearbox fault.

GAJ
29th February 2008, 04:29 PM
they would have to prove that any modification has caused the failure of other parts of the car.

I think it's actually the complete opposite. If you have modified the car, the onus would be on you to prove that any fault was unlikely to have benn caused by the modified part. Some dealers may be more pragmatic about this than others.

iain cooper
29th February 2008, 06:20 PM
I would agree with Ken, ie if you modify the car in any way that increases the performance, then Mini/BMW would have a right to reject certain types of warranty work.

ie, they designed the car to perform in a certain way, and you have altered it, so why should they now be responsible for things that fail ?

BOYROLLO
1st March 2008, 10:02 PM
Right am getting the maybe maybe not thing as for the tuning was looking at the new spark plugs reduced pulley and the bluefin chip......also if anyone has this fitted to there car could they tell me how good it is????????

Gorbash12346
1st March 2008, 10:16 PM
I think it's actually the complete opposite. If you have modified the car, the onus would be on you to prove that any fault was unlikely to have benn caused by the modified part. Some dealers may be more pragmatic about this than others.

i'm afraid it's the dealers responsibility to prove it as you have payed for something that they are refusing to give therefore it';s their responsibility