PDA

View Full Version : New Tyres..

Burple
28th February 2008, 12:03 PM
Hey guys, Especially VB and John cos I know you've had them...
Looking at some new (relatively) cheapish tryre for my 17s, and remembered you guys have had Federals in the past (ss595's I believe ;)).

Got a local quote for £55 each fitted +vat. Does that sound ok to you?
( I know they're on mytyres and the like for about £47, but the local guy will come out to wherever I want to fit them si it cuts down on a load of hassle)

Either way, they've got to be better than the crappy Tornado Alpha things that are on just now!

Craig
28th February 2008, 12:35 PM
I looked at them for my 17's and nearly bought them. Think I will get them next as John swears by them, and we all know how he drives..:cool:

If it's good enough for John, then they are good enough for me.. ;)

price sounds about right to me... especially as you say they will come to you... :)

The Dogfather
28th February 2008, 02:10 PM
They're great in the dry, not so good in the wet, according to a recent test I saw, and that kinda ties in with my experience. If you want good wet performance then Maxxis Z1 came out well, but they'll be more expensive than the feds.

If they're £55 ex vat that means they'll work out at £64 which is a little pricey. However give the fact they come to you I suppose its not that bad.

My next tyres will be Nokian NRYs they are an all temperature tyre so work well even in cold weather (not snow though).

drb5374
28th February 2008, 03:22 PM
I'm sure you can find someone to fit them for less than £20 a tyre, if this is the right size.....
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s457p7692

Burple
28th February 2008, 06:15 PM
I'm sure you can find someone to fit them for less than £20 a tyre, if this is the right size.....
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s457p7692

was actually going for 215/45/17s (which are £49 on that site), but close enough :D
It's not the cost of fitting that's the hassle, I currently stay in the middle of nowhere, so getting to a fitter is the bother- wheels are off the car just now.
And these guys are recommended by a colleague, who has used them for years. Add to that the fact that the guy couldn't have been more helpful on the phone, I'd rather have decent service than the cheapest price, don't want my nice polished rims trashed (well any more than I've done already!;))

Paul, they can't be any worse than the curent tyres in the wet! I'm not gonna be horsing it that much, I still have to be a good boy ;)

Burple
28th February 2008, 06:19 PM
I looked at them for my 17's and nearly bought them. Think I will get them next as John swears by them, and we all know how he drives..:cool:

If it's good enough for John, then they are good enough for me.. ;)

...and that was my thinking on the subject too!;):cool:

Cheers guys :D

The Dogfather
28th February 2008, 06:47 PM
Don't get the 215s they ruin the feel, stick with the 205s. I put 215s on my MINI it felt I was driving with gloves on

Sweeney
28th February 2008, 07:43 PM
Ive got 4 ss595's sitting in work, intended on putting them on the mini but never got round to it. (Bought them from cpearson on here for £120) Haven't been used, 205/45/17

Ive also got 4 goodyear eagle f1 gsd3's, used, 215/45/17 would need to measure tread but plenty left on them...

ajamesj
28th February 2008, 11:07 PM
Federals are fine and thts a good price sold plenty in the past and had plenty fitted to wheels on my car have seen some crappy tyres in my time but these seem to withstand alot lol

drb5374
29th February 2008, 01:27 PM
was actually going for 215/45/17s (which are £49 on that site), but close enough :D
It's not the cost of fitting that's the hassle, I currently stay in the middle of nowhere, so getting to a fitter is the bother- wheels are off the car just now.
And these guys are recommended by a colleague, who has used them for years. Add to that the fact that the guy couldn't have been more helpful on the phone, I'd rather have decent service than the cheapest price, don't want my nice polished rims trashed (well any more than I've done already!;))

Paul, they can't be any worse than the curent tyres in the wet! I'm not gonna be horsing it that much, I still have to be a good boy ;)

Ah gotcha. :D

Scottie
4th April 2008, 01:12 PM
As I need tyres to put on my new Flame Spoke alloys I have priced up Federal Locally. Best price I could get was £58.75 fitted including vat.

So I have went with that.

Burple
4th April 2008, 02:18 PM
That's not a bad price :cool:
Have to say I'm well impressed with the Federals, from what stick I've given them so far, they've been great! Haven't had it sliding or squealing yet ;) and they've been spot on in the wet on greasy country roads:cool:

the 215/45 profile are ok, they don't feel too baloony and they fill out the arches nicely. Loving the tread pattern too. A wee bit more road noise than the crappy Tornado Alpha things that were on the wheels when I got em, but that's not a problem. The biggest down side is the definite drop in performance cos of the bigger drag / weight of the wheels now :o Time for that Remap! There's a noticable difference -not a lot, but it's there - in acceleration. ..and very occasionally the rear wheels rub on the plastic arch liner on particularly brutal bumps taken at speed :D

Next time.. I'll have the same I think, but 215/40 :cool::D

The Dogfather
4th April 2008, 03:09 PM
I had the 40 profile on mine, I had the sport suspension+ as well. What I didn't expect was the increased dental bills, as over time each one of my fillings came loose. Shocking ;)

Burple
4th April 2008, 04:32 PM
:D:D:D
That's part of the reasons I thought I'd give the 215s a go..

The car feels much nicer than my old cooper did on Sports suspension (not plus) and 17" runflats!