PDA

View Full Version : Another fault!

Steve74
4th March 2004, 07:12 PM
Now I've had my Mini Cooper S for how long - 1 1/2 months? Its been in for two warranty trips already and now the windcreen has cracked from underneath the drivers a-pillar. I called BMW service at Eastern who were in my opinion useless again and tried to tell me it wouldnt be covered under warranty - there were no chips, stones and it's a craxk from underneath a pillar!!!! They told me to call BMW emergency services who then told me to call Autoglass - very impressive. After I spoke to the guys supervisor he told me to call Eastern again. Anyway, I got fed up of the calling so took the car in, spoke to the service manager who agreed it was a warranty issue. Only thing is the part is on back order from Germany which can take weeks. I had to ask thyem specifically to do a VOR (vehicle off-road) and source one from another dealer. I love the car, the way it drives and how it looks but if there is one more fault it's going back, goods not suitable for use!:mad:

KenL
5th March 2004, 12:11 AM
What were the first two for Steve?

Wul
5th March 2004, 01:18 AM
Steve - you are a prime rejection candidate - on the autoexpress wewbsite theres a draft letter somewhere(kenL knows where!) for this purpose - tell them you want to reject it and demand a replacement - do it now so it's logged on your file - even if you don't end up rejecting the car you may get some compo or accessories.

If you leave it any longer your rights under the sale of goods act for total rejection will become very weak!

KenL
5th March 2004, 01:54 AM
It's the What Car website Wul.

On your other faults are they now fixed Steve?

Not sure I would reject your car if you have no outstanding faults and they fix the windscreen OK.

Your replacement could be worse...

Wul
5th March 2004, 01:57 AM
Sorry Ken - knew you'd know tho! :D

That's what I thought Ken - and look where it got me! Fingers crossed the 04's are ok!:eek:

euan
5th March 2004, 08:03 PM
Although my old car went to Easterns a LOT, I never really thought of rejecting it. Maybe I should have. I never found them any hassle to deal with either when it came to faults, although I got the impression (and this is not sepcific to eastern) I know more about the product than they do. I guess they should look on MINI2....

Steve74
8th March 2004, 05:54 AM
Just got back from a weekend away and the crack is growing - very happy it's going in tomorrow for a replacement.

Ken - the first two faults were for a really bad rattle from the A-pillar which then had to go back again as they made a number more after trying to fix it. It also has the dreaded stumble with the DSC on but the dealership said they couldnt find it and it was a characteristic of the car (don't know how they could say that if they didnt find it!). The other problem was the rain sensor which doesn't turn the wipers on with drizzle and due to having a rain sensor there is no intemit setting - they couldn't adjust it! The rattle is now better though but I'm sure it will return when they take out the windscreen!

Wul - I am going to fill out that form as you're right about the time-line as it will make a big difference with the law.

I have done a bit of research on mini2 and there seems to be more than one windscreen break when it happens. It's supposed to be either the A-pillar bond and/or glue thickness - BMW did a service bulletin on it and can't figure out what it is for sure yet. The only thing that keeps me liking this car is the fact that it drives so well but it's such a shame that it has so many faults.

Steve74
8th March 2004, 10:04 PM
Now I just rejected the car formally and all of a sudden I'm meeting the Regional Manager! Lets see what happens now!!;)

AndyP & Lenore
17th March 2004, 12:53 AM
Steve, I was wondering what happened with your meeting with the RM?

Before my MINI days I had a Honda CRV which caused no end of trouble. A complete lemon. Amongst many other faults the main problem was the dealer could not get the ABS warning light to go out. When they suggested replacing the entire wiring loom in the vehicle I rejected the goods. 9 months after purchasing and putting up with faulty goods I got a replacement vehicle. But I had to "Reject the goods" under the Sale of Goods Act; my trading standards department had to write to the dealer to "remind them of the legal obligations"; and I had to write to the Managing Director of HONDA UK..... Then I got a replacement.

Interested to hear how you got on.

Andrew

Steve74
17th March 2004, 02:35 AM
Actually I'm really surprised how I got on! I met the regional tech rep from BMW last wednesday and he confirmed that there were current problems with the Mini screens and they were investigating. I got a brand new screen - the first in the UK of the new kind suposedly and it looks quite a bit different. The glass has a black edge around and it looks a bit beafier. Next the rattles were all fixed - rev counter (??), inner door trim and under dash were all fixed correctly. The DSC was updated and the ECM now carries 36.1 to fix the stumble - I've had none so far. Next the rain sensor was replaced but I've not tried that out yet and finally as the CD skip was due to the suspension being too tough and the CD player being sh*t they fitted a multi-changer FOC.

Now the dealer did write to me again saying that the rattles were unavaoidable on Edinburgh roads (?) and that stumble was just the DSC cutting in (????) but I thought lets see if they fix it and take it from there. It was clear they were not going to accept my rejection of the car and they did make a good attempt to get parts and fix the problems so this time I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The CD multichanger helped. If anything serious does go again though I've now got a strong case to reject and I've shown how I've been fair by giving them one last chance. To be honest though I missed the car a lot and I'm just so glad to have it back :)

mr.b
18th March 2004, 06:36 PM
Steve, as you may remember, i have had the same fault as have many other mini owners.

Stress is the reason, so i have been led to believe and i can't help thinking that the stress is due to body contortion and fitting a front strut brace will prevent this from happening.

Am i being daft with this suggestion or does it seem reasonable?

KenL
18th March 2004, 06:42 PM
The MINI is already supposed to have a VERY stiff chassis so I'm not sure if a strut brace would help protect your windscreen if that's why you are getting it.

mr.b
18th March 2004, 07:05 PM
I know of many motors that have stiff chassis (weyhey!) already but you still get flex through the body of the car - i used to have, dare i say it, a Honda Integra Type R which as any of you car boffins know, is one of the best handling cars on the road (straigh out the box anyway) and there was still some signs of body flexing.

just interested to know if anyone who had a strut brace fitted had any problems with their windscreen cracking before the fitting of said item.

Steve74
18th March 2004, 08:04 PM
Reading through the lines of what the BMW tech rep said I think that the screens may have had a design fault wherby they couldn't take the stress of a stone hit due to the rake of the glass and the bond to the chassis. The part is redesigned so it looks like the are quietly getting round it in my opinion. The CD skipping I'm sure is due to the stiff ride and the CD unit being sh@t!! Not sure how a brace would help - would it reduce roll?

mr.b
18th March 2004, 09:50 PM
the brace to the fron t strut tops would reduce body roll and stop the turrets moving towards each other during cornering thus giving better control and better feedback from the road.

my 'teg had an upper strut brace at the front and a lower brace to the rear and the handling was amazing. couldn't get the car to step outta line at all no matter what kinda corner i threw it into! the mini's handling isn't too far off the 'teg's but with some very little adjustments, it could be even better.

Steve74
19th March 2004, 02:02 AM
Cool - also think NOx would be cool - seen a kit for $700!:cool: