PDA

View Full Version : hey

BOYROLLO
22nd February 2008, 11:10 PM
hi all names stevey aint got my mini yet just hunting for the right one...........so a quick few questions can i buy the xl tlc package from the dealer and is it worth it???? how good is the optional harmon kardon as sound is pretty important to me.....and is the sat nav any good or just an expensive luxery i could do without oh and its a cooper s i want please any comments greatly appreciated

FergusM
22nd February 2008, 11:29 PM
Would not worry about H&K...can upgarde the stereo to be better than that if you want. See www.newministuff.co.uk (http://www.newministuff.co.uk/)

Satnav, probably looks nice, but probably will not work as well as a TOMTOM.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd February 2008, 12:06 AM
Welcome to the site Stevey!

I would agree with Fergus on the Sat Nav - we had it in our R53 and our R56 and as lovely as it looks, a Tom Tom or equivalent does as good/better a job.

Harmon Kardon - didn't spec it so not really sure, but I have only heard very good words about Mikey (www.newministuff.co.uk).

As for the xl TLC, again, we've never kept a MINI long enough to know. But others have looked into it. Hopefully someone will be along soon to advise better on that.

A.:D

BOYROLLO
23rd February 2008, 12:20 AM
thanks guys will keep my eyes peeled for any xtra info i can get

Craig
23rd February 2008, 01:34 AM
I Love my sounds and the Harmon Kardon is the best system installed by a manufacturer I have heard. It was only I think a £350 option when new, so a bargain, cos you could hardly get a decent set of aftermarket speakers for that, nevermind the head unit updating or amp installed. ;) I would highly recommend the HK kit.

as for TLC XL. If you are going to keep you car for a few years and outside the TLC package range, then it is well worth it. Does you up to 80,000 miles or 8 years old if memory serves me right and with MINI hourly rates, keeps your service book stamped up at a discount price. :D

Best of luck with your search, as others have said, save the money re the sat nav and get a Tom Tom :cool:

Gismo
23rd February 2008, 07:40 AM
Welcome to the site, extras are only worth it if you want them.
Sat Nav is ok in the cherished market cause it's unlikely to increase the value of the car by much.
I've personally found the aftermarket ones to be superior, plus, you can take it out and put it in the next car.
Again Harmon Kardon can be bettered by replacing the the head unit and front speakers, but, it can also be used with a bit of wizardry from Mike at the previously mentioned newministuff to give a suitable sound.
As for the extra TLC, you'd have to figure out how much mileage you are gonna do and work out if paid for servicing will be cheaper.
Spirited driving can bring the servicing to around as low as 8k miles or as high as around 12k.

Good luck in your quest :)

BOYROLLO
23rd February 2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the help guys will keep u posted in the search and possibly ask ur opinion on potential purchases

Duncan Stewart
29th February 2008, 01:51 PM
:D Hi and Welcome :D good luck with the search for a mini

Crombers
29th February 2008, 02:26 PM
Welcome to NMSland :cool:

All the best in your search. The XL TLC is worth it IMHO as the major service alone would be same £££ as the package (you basically get the next interim service for nowt).

Don't just discount a Cooper, in the words of a certain Mr J Barrie 'power is nothing without control' and as often quoted in the historical pages of NMS 'Coopers are better in the twisties' (superchargers are heavy buggers) ;)

Bumble
1st March 2008, 01:10 PM
Welcome to NMS - BIG WAVE!

AeroJonny
1st March 2008, 03:32 PM
welcome to the asylum :D

eddie 44
3rd March 2008, 01:38 AM
hi and welcome to nms.. as crombers says... try a cooper.. i have had a cooper and an S .. cooper was more fun to drive... :D

Crombers
4th March 2008, 11:43 AM
hi and welcome to nms.. as crombers says... try a cooper.. i have had a cooper and an S .. cooper was more fun to drive... :D

;) good man :)