PDA

View Full Version : The R56 deisel rattle on cold start campaign gains momentum

AndyP & Lenore
21st February 2008, 12:41 AM
Before I begin, this is NOT an R56 general bashing thread. I would prefer it to be a discussion on one particular inherent fault it seems is spreading among R56 Cooper S engines.

Motoring file has published a report on what they call the MCS R56 Cold Start Issue. (http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/02/20/r56-mcs-engines-cold-start-issue-exposed/#more-6447)

They have been looking into this fault with R56 MINI's for a few months, "gathering data", and although it's still not a widespread problem, more and more people are reporting the problem as time goes on.

Makes for interesting reading.:(

A.:D

Craig
21st February 2008, 08:32 AM
This along with the Flywheel & Clutch problem that MINI don't know how to fix was my main reasons for getting rid of my R56.

It's interesting that MINI are replacing engines so that they can get the offending units back to Oxford to look at them.. It is somewhat concerning at the gulf between dealers tho, as from my own experience some dealers will not even entertain looking at this problem and simply say "the new M5 & M6 make the same noise..:rolleyes: "

I am glad MINI are finally taking this seriously, but some of that report would concern me if I still had my R56.. :(

I know that Marky has the noise back after his "fix" albeit he says that the noise is much quieter, but from what this report says, it will just get slowly worse..

Sweeney
21st February 2008, 09:31 AM
Its also worth taking into account that the majority of todays engines have a tick/rattle sort of noise, which is a bit louder at cold than when warmed up.

Its a combination of injectors, pumps, actuators etc. The r56/207 problem is of course a lot louder than what is deemed normal, nice to see someone doing something about it. :o

FergusM
21st February 2008, 12:57 PM
I get that on occasions, but have yet to hear of a fix so held off putting into dealer to get looked at, as unless they hear it I doubt they would do anything about it.

On the other issue that I had, as mentioned above by Craig, the Flywheel / clutch issue... mine has sorted itself :) I can't get it to do it even when I try.... I think the fact that I had it booked in was enough for the car to sort itself :)

illegalhunter
21st February 2008, 02:16 PM
Its very off putting to hear your brand new car sound like a Hackney Cab . Lets hope this puts a rocket up the @rse of Mini to get it sorted.

N12 JLK
21st February 2008, 08:42 PM
Our diesel noise came back the other day when it was minus 5 outside:confused:

Scottie
21st February 2008, 09:47 PM
I never had the "tractor sound" in my R56 Cooper mind you maybe I didn't own them long enough.:o :o

So to help people reading the thread.

Is this a "S" problem only.??

or

does it effect the Cooper aswell.?????

ajamesj
22nd February 2008, 08:48 PM
Mine does it oh ofcourse mine is a diesel lol

KenL
22nd February 2008, 09:34 PM
I never had the "tractor sound" in my R56 Cooper mind you maybe I didn't own them long enough.:o :o

or

Never heard of an R56 Cooper owner complaining of this.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd February 2008, 12:12 AM

or

Cooper S only Fi.:(

A.