PDA

View Full Version : IPOD: Touch v Classic

euan
19th February 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm considering a new ipod and I know a few people on here have both of these so I'm looking for some views.

Mainly, I use my ipod for music but would like to be able to do photos on it and some video. The wifi of the touch is desirable, but not sure just how much I'd use it so would be interested what people use it for.

My ipod library is 20GB, so size isn't really an issue as I can get a 32GB touch which would cover all of that.

I love the touch screen and the experience of using it seems brilliant, but I'm struggling to justify the extra cost.

Anybody got any views?

AeroJonny
19th February 2008, 01:32 PM
I'm happy enough with my 80gb classic, but I've not even half filled it yet. Videos and photos are adequate on its screen too. I mainly use it for music and backing up photos, so the only videos i have on it are podcasts.

I couldn't justify the extra cost for less capacity either, plus i think the classic's a little bit tougher which suits me just fine :)

Bazthemod
19th February 2008, 01:39 PM
Hang fire and go for an ipod touch prices are dropping soon!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/18/iphone-and-ipod-touch-to-get-100-price-drop-soon/

Cant reccomend the ipod touch enough i love mine and hardly use my laptop now as the wifi is really good feature :cool:

My music library is huge... i only copy the music i actually want to listen to over to my ipod though so capacity doesnt bother me :)

Gismo
19th February 2008, 02:15 PM
I have the 160gb ipod, i use it mainly for music, but, i also use it for data storage and podcasts.
I have software to rip movies (that i own) to the ipod screen size, but, find it too small for that.
For movies i use the Archos 705, it also has wi-fi, i guess you could maybe use that as a music player too but the battery life may not be good enough for you.
I can't comment on the itouch, never used it, it's pricey, but, each to their own, isn't it a phone as well??

euan
19th February 2008, 02:35 PM
The touch is basically an iphone without the phone.

If the touch was cheaper (which it looks like it might get) then it would be more appealing. I might also be able to get one in the US where they are cheaper, so that also would make a difference. I find it hard to justify a touch when it's £170 quid more than a classic!

I did think the screen would be a little small on a classic, but I'd likely only use it for short videos rather than films so that would be less of an issue. Battery life is a consideration, the new classics have much better life than a touch, but it's still miles better than my retro 3G ipod :-)

I'll probably go for a classic, as I think the 32GB is just too expensive. Would also let me treat my other half to a new one as well, as I could get two classics for the same money as one touch.

GAJ
19th February 2008, 02:46 PM
I'm having exactly the same dilemma! My old ipod 60 has now completely given up the ghost and am swithering between the two. There's a lot of software out there for the Touch if you get it Jailbreaked. Decisions, decisions! Just replaced my old G4 Mac with a Macbook Pro and a 1TB NAS drive so I might have to keep thinking until my bank manager stops shouting at me!

macblob
19th February 2008, 03:04 PM
Ive got a 16gb ipod touch and absolutely love it. Currently running firmware version 1.1.3 and jailbreak software to run 3rd party applications. Got google maps, email the lot...........great!! Also have 3 full length dvds on my touch, great quality and nice size screen, good for long journeys

Also have a third gen 20gb ipod and in my opinion there is no comparison.

illegalhunter
19th February 2008, 03:50 PM
I would keep the old one , this what Apple were hoping for . New ,shinny ,touch screen (hommer style ) must have .

GAJ
19th February 2008, 04:12 PM
I would keep the old one , this what Apple were hoping for . New ,shinny ,touch screen (hommer style ) must have .

Crazy isn't it? A company marketing a piece of kit that people want to buy! What harebrained scheme will they think of next?:rolleyes:

euan
19th February 2008, 04:15 PM

I would but the battery is going so it's fine to use it in the car where it's on charge, but not out and about and with some long haul flights coming up I want to make sure I can drown out the irritating passengers nearby with some tunes :D

euan
19th February 2008, 04:15 PM
Ive got a 16gb ipod touch and absolutely love it. Currently running firmware version 1.1.3 and jailbreak software to run 3rd party applications. Got google maps, email the lot...........great!! Also have 3 full length dvds on my touch, great quality and nice size screen, good for long journeys

Also have a third gen 20gb ipod and in my opinion there is no comparison.

You see, I'd be a great big wuss and keep it as nature intended - however those apps do sound very appealing!

Gismo
19th February 2008, 05:08 PM
I would but the battery is going so it's fine to use it in the car where it's on charge, but not out and about and with some long haul flights coming up I want to make sure I can drown out the irritating passengers nearby with some tunes :D
Be careful with which charger you have for the car, if it's like mine, a Kenwood with an adaptor to work with the kenwood head unit it won't charge the classic :mad:
However, if you connect through an aux input and charge via the ciggy lighter you'll be ok

euan
19th February 2008, 06:49 PM
Hmm, worth remembering that, cheers! Although I've got an Intravee so think it should be ok, and I'll likely just use the old one in the car anyway so I'm not mucking about in the boot every time I want my ipod.

Bignorm
19th February 2008, 08:20 PM
I Have Plenty In Stock

:d

euan
23rd April 2008, 11:49 AM
BS, what software do you use to rip movies onto your ipod?

Do you need tons of free HD space to do it?

Forbes
23rd April 2008, 11:57 AM
Personally i like the touch(16Gb). Although i have also got the LG Viewty phone (another touch screen) and find it easy to use. I prefer it to the nano i had before, and like baz i only have some music on it - basically because i will never listen to 19 days worth of music i have on the pc in one go.

Gismo
23rd April 2008, 11:59 AM
BS, what software do you use to rip movies onto your ipod?

Do you need tons of free HD space to do it?I've got Dvd Platinum that can rip to almost all devices, i got it specifically for my Archos 705, but, it can rip to the iPod.
Previously i had a freeware programme, can't remember what i's called, but, i've got it at home if you can wait another week??
Was a bit fiddly, but, it came with instructions and it worked for the PSP as well :)
I ripped 2 hour movies to a 1gb card (for the PSP) and that would take approx 3 movies, so, expect the movies to be around 300kb

RyanK
23rd April 2008, 12:04 PM
I am not as advanced as some, I have the Ipod video! Fine for me, I only use it when I am travelling on aeroplanes!

Although Im looking into a touch, the wi-fi function sounds good and saves buying a laptop!

euan
23rd April 2008, 12:20 PM
I've got Dvd Platinum that can rip to almost all devices, i got it specifically for my Archos 705, but, it can rip to the iPod.
Previously i had a freeware programme, can't remember what i's called, but, i've got it at home if you can wait another week??
Was a bit fiddly, but, it came with instructions and it worked for the PSP as well :)
I ripped 2 hour movies to a 1gb card (for the PSP) and that would take approx 3 movies, so, expect the movies to be around 300kb

Great stuff, it's only $50 for that software so will maybe go that route - that way I'll have a DVD copy as well rather than relying on iTunes copy protection to screw it up when I move the stuff between devices.

I need it now as we fly out on Monday night so getting organized for the travel otherwise I would have been fine to wait.

MartinSullivan
23rd April 2008, 12:24 PM
I love the touch, and I love some of the third party apps that are available for it. Really easy to jailbreak it (as Gaj said) which allows the third party apps to be loaded.

I currently have a nes emulator running on it with donkey kong - fantastic :)

Gismo
23rd April 2008, 12:40 PM
Great stuff, it's only $50 for that software so will maybe go that route - that way I'll have a DVD copy as wellIt also removes any encoded protection from your OWNED Dvd's which allows you to keep a copy of a legit movie :thumbs up:
You can do all sorts, like remove subtitles, all languages, adverts etc and importantly, allow you to increase the sound recording

euan
17th December 2008, 01:19 PM
Gismo, do you remember what the freeware stuff you had was? My mate is after something to do this conversion and is a bit tight ;-)

Ferengo
17th December 2008, 01:39 PM
Gismo, do you remember what the freeware stuff you had was? My mate is after something to do this conversion and is a bit tight ;-)

The one I use is called handbrake. Very good Rips from DVDs to MP4, AVI, PSP etc... and it's FREE!!! You can get it on the MAC, PC and Linux. Very easy to use as it has all the formats down the side and you just pick. Say, PSP and all the settings just come up/ You can adjust if you know what you're doing. Also it removes the copy protection

http://handbrake.fr/

If you have a PC and want to remove the copy protection then use DVD43. It will remove region coding as well and allow you to watch any region of movies on your PC without having to change the drive region (Which you can only do 5 times!!!)

I also use Visualhub on the mac for converting AVI, flash videos etc... to any format. They no longer update or sell it but you can pick a copy up from somewhere easy enough.

I have the 160GB Classic iPod. Great thing to have, Almost filled it too. You no longer get it, so the largest you will get is 120GB. The touch has a larger screen but from what I have heard battery life isn't as good as the classics.

Ferengo
17th December 2008, 01:41 PM
I love the touch, and I love some of the third party apps that are available for it. Really easy to jailbreak it (as Gaj said) which allows the third party apps to be loaded.

I currently have a nes emulator running on it with donkey kong - fantastic :)

Awesome. How dod you do it? I maybe buying a touch after all...