PDA

View Full Version : good thread from detailing world

Scottie
18th February 2008, 11:55 PM
Thought this was handy stuff to know for any of us that do not have a PC or rotary.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10656

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2008, 12:14 AM
Excellent find there Miss Fi Fi!!!:D :D :cool: ;)

Very interesting indeed for those of us who are PC less and far too scared to even think about trying a rotary.:o

I have the Poorboys Professional Polish, but after seeing the results of that test I may well ditch that and just go for the Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

Calling Ian King...!!!! You recommended the Poorboys PP. Do you reckon the Autoglym SRP will do as good a job, or should I stick with the Poorboys?:confused:

A.:confused:

The Dogfather
19th February 2008, 07:27 AM
I use SRP followed by the AG sealant, but last weekend I tried Megs cleaner wax followed by the Carnuba Wax.

Both combinations give great results, masking the swirls. But I know they are still there and I want to remove them, I'll just have to spend the cash and get a PC.

ianking
19th February 2008, 09:35 AM
Well if you just want to hide the swirl marks then SRP is fine but it will only last a cuople of washes.
When I worked at the garage we used that as a polish on all the cars as it made them look good for customer handover.
Its not a bad polish but personally I prefer to get rid of the swirls properly.
It is a dusty polish though.

You could polish with SRP then put your Blackfire on top which will help it last a bit longer but you will do fine with the polish you bought.

ianking
19th February 2008, 09:38 AM
I use SRP followed by the AG sealant, but last weekend I tried Megs cleaner wax followed by the Carnuba Wax.

Megs cleaner wax is OK but you cant layer it as it has cleaning properties that strip the last layer off. If it was the Megs Carnuba Wax number 3 stage you used then this is pretty pants as it is not very durable. You are much better off with Megs number 16 professional paste wax. You will find it on eBay for about £11 a tin.

The Dogfather
19th February 2008, 09:55 AM
Megs cleaner wax is OK but you cant layer it as it has cleaning properties that strip the last layer off. If it was the Megs Carnuba Wax number 3 stage you used then this is pretty pants as it is not very durable. You are much better off with Megs number 16 professional paste wax. You will find it on eBay for about £11 a tin.

I'll keep using it till its gone then I'll get some proper stuff. I usually wax every week so durability isn't too big an issue.

euan
19th February 2008, 10:29 AM
I'll keep using it till its gone then I'll get some proper stuff. I usually wax every week so durability isn't too big an issue.

Seriously?!!? You've too much time on your hands. Wax once a month with a top up of Megs Speed Detailer if it needs it is all I do, and it's always silky smooth and shiny.

Interesting on the swirls removal though - will need to have some consideration on this as my car can show up any swirls in bright sunlight. Though the guy in my street who picked up his new black 5 series three weeks ago REALLY needs to read it as it looks awful already.

ianking
19th February 2008, 12:35 PM
Probably bad dealer prep if his new car is that swirly all ready. They probably had some Eastern European valeter make a hash of it with dirty clothes and the devils sponge.

Make note though SRP is NOT a swirl remover. It is simply a swirl masker. Swirls will re-appear in a month or so after and the paint wont be as nice as a proper swirl free car.

Scottie
19th February 2008, 12:43 PM
Swirls will re-appear in a month or so after and the paint wont be as nice as a proper swirl free car.

is a car ever swirl free.?:confused: even after a car has been detailed with a rotary the car gets swirl marks again.

Actually BS has the right idea leave the car as manky as possible that way you don't see any defects in the paintwork.:cool: :cool:

Gismo
19th February 2008, 12:48 PM
Actually BS has the right idea leave the car as manky as possible that way you don't see any defects in the paintwork.:cool: :cool:
I'm ready to offer any advice that may be considered useful at any time :)

ianking
19th February 2008, 02:37 PM
is a car ever swirl free.?:confused: even after a car has been detailed with a rotary the car gets swirl marks again.
.:cool: :cool:

You are right it is very difficult to keep a car swirl free. I am very carefull when washing, rinse, pre foam, rinse, 2 bucket method with wash mitt, drying towels and yet my black roof still has wee swirls in it.

However a run over with the rotary and some 3M Ultrafina finishing polish usually removes the light stuff. I run over with the rotary about every 6 months. Wax build up on the paint will also help as a bit of a deterrant.

It annoys me so much though that garages prep a new car in such a bad fashion that they are covered in swirls as they are leaving the showroom.

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm ready to offer any advice that may be considered useful at any time :)

We've converted Crombers.;)

You're next!:eek:

Bhwa bhwa bhwa bhwa haaa haaaa haaaaaaaaa.:D :D :D

A.:D

The Dogfather
19th February 2008, 03:43 PM
If I wash the car then it'll get waxed at the same time. If the weather is really bad then I might miss a weekend. The MX5 does a lot of miles along country lanes, if I leave it any longer than 2 weeks it's weight doubles :D

Craig
19th February 2008, 05:35 PM
I am glad I kept my SRP as polish, always thought it gives the best results and with me using wax regularly, the swirls will not come back as much, but then again, you have to get very close to the paintwork to see swirls, so only for the OCD brigade... :p ;)

Got my first "job" doing a car in a few weeks, so might do a review of how I get on with the valeting.. :) It's a Corsa VXR and I quite fancy a wee poke about in it.. ;)

RyanK
19th February 2008, 07:09 PM
Theres a guy from Polished bliss up here 'Clark' who's Seat Leon is 100% Swirl Free. He even said that he hasnt given the car the "full treatment" for around 6+ months now. Its just all down to his correct washing technique.

I have seen the car on the road a few times and it is stunning.

Sheilz
20th February 2008, 12:09 AM
Results weren't a surprise to me. I've used autoglym stuff maybe about twice/three time a year since Hamish was on the go. I think I mentioned in another thread that I noticed his paintwork looked awful in the sunshine on Sat so after getting the exhaust fitted took him home for some extra tlc. SRP followed by Extra gloss protection made the paint work look like new. Was stressed out from work yesterday so went out at midnight and gave him a quick wash down, water barely got time to touch the paintwork before it was bouncing off the ground.
(Yes, my neighbours do think I'm mental ;):D)

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2008, 12:11 AM
Results weren't a surprise to me. I've used autoglym stuff maybe about twice/three time a year since Hamish was on the go. I think I mentioned in another thread that I noticed his paintwork looked awful in the sunshine on Sat so after getting the exhaust fitted took him home for some extra tlc. SRP followed by Extra gloss protection made the paint work look like new. Was stressed out from work yesterday so went out at midnight and gave him a quick wash down, water barely got time to touch the paintwork before it was bouncing off the ground.
(Yes, my neighbours do think I'm mental ;):D)

I can't imagine why.:rolleyes: Surely this is worthy of the Marky C award for MINI-OCD.

A.:D ;)

Sheilz
20th February 2008, 12:22 AM
LOL :D but great therapy, You couldn't begin to imagine how many of my clients I tell to FO or subject to a stream of home truths (according to me anyway:p) when I'm washing dirt - real or imagined - from the car. I swear if I'd had the means to ensure he was thoroughly dry would've polished him too - and sorted the bosses out at the same time :D:D:D