PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD dead

euan
18th February 2008, 10:33 AM
Couldn't the thread we had talking about this, but Toshiba are apparently lining up to pull out of the HD DVD market altogether. Blueray wins, and with the new stuff coming on the PS3 (the TV recording features for example) it's looking a mighty piece of kit. Eventually...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7250068.stm

FergusM
18th February 2008, 10:44 AM
Good news that the "war" is almost over, better for everyone if there was only one format.

illegalhunter
18th February 2008, 11:29 AM
The new Betamax, i never watch tv anyway.Whats the sory on all the HD TVs WE ALL HAVE NOW

stoney
18th February 2008, 01:59 PM
The new Betamax, i never watch tv anyway.Whats the sory on all the HD TVs WE ALL HAVE NOW

they still work with the blueray i think so should not be a problem :D

euan
18th February 2008, 02:26 PM
Correct, it's just the HD DVD players that people will be stuck with, though clever retailers would go out an offer a discount against a new blueray player.

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2008, 05:49 PM
It's now confirmed in this BBC News article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7252172.stm) that HD DVD has been dropped by Toshiba.

Blu Ray wins.

A.:D

euan
19th February 2008, 06:51 PM
You know, it's interesting reading the sales figures - 1 million HD DVD against 10.5 Million blueray, although most of those will be in PS3.

I'd like to see the figures split and how many people had actually bought a blueray player which wasn't a PS3.

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2008, 07:01 PM
You know, it's interesting reading the sales figures - 1 million HD DVD against 10.5 Million blueray, although most of those will be in PS3.

I'd like to see the figures split and how many people had actually bought a blueray player which wasn't a PS3.

According to BBC News in October, 5.5Million PS3's had been shipped worldwide. 5 months (including a Christmas period) later, you can only guess how many more there are. Maybe 7 or 8 Million. Which I guess means 2 or 3 million dedicated Blu Ray decks. Can't see that TBH.:confused:

A.