PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust - it seems to be the month for them

Sheilz
9th February 2008, 09:52 PM
Was giving specy some tlc this afternoon. All doom and gloom - his back box is corroding badly. When I asked my other half about replacement he was of the opinion that I should get the whole thing done since his experience is once one bit goes the rest isnt too far behind.

This world of exhausts is a complete mystery to me. My knowledge is limited to it being connected to the engine on one end and in receipt of frequent polishing at the other. I also know it has more than one bit to it but not how many there are.

Can anyone recommend a decent exhaust system that's not going to need a mortgage? How many bits do I need? If I order one would I have to buy other bits that would add hidden costs? Are these things expensive to have fitted?

Thanks
Sheilz

Craig
9th February 2008, 10:29 PM
Sheilz,

the playmini slash cut exhaust I recently purchased was only £250 delivered to the house/ It's stainless steel and comes with a new back box bracket (which are known to corrode). It connects from the cat back.,

will last MUCH longer than the MINI oem exhaust and is cheaper. :D Low'n'loud has had his about 4 years and it's still going strong...

Details of Exhaust, HERE (https://www.plminishop.com/product-PLY04.html)

It gives off a nice note, but if you want it to be quieter, you can pay a little extra and get the silenced front pipe.

Hope this info helps.

:cool:

Sheilz
9th February 2008, 10:52 PM
It helps a lot thank you :)

Craig
9th February 2008, 11:00 PM
no probs Sheilz, meant to say, you shouldn't need anything else with it, and it should cost approx £30 to get it fitted by a local garage. Easy job, if you have a socket set and a set of ramps, you could get your hubby to do it for free :D

Sheilz
9th February 2008, 11:09 PM
On special offer just now cost £210! I'd visions of having to fork out twice that much. Ace! Will cover the cost of the new decals Carlo is looking at for me - or rather for specy. Think I'd look bizarre with decals :D:D:D:D:D

drb5374
10th February 2008, 09:23 AM
I'd be checking how badly corroded the rest of the system is first.

Fitting new stuff to old stuff, tends to make the bad stuff get worse very quickly and when you do the whole exhaust you can from then on forget about having to do anything else later on.

stoney
10th February 2008, 11:32 AM
ok there are only 2 parts to the mini exhaust the manifold and the cat is one bit and back from that is only 1 part so if you change the back box it is from the cat back hope this helps

drb5374
10th February 2008, 11:35 AM
Ah well theres something i didn't expect.

Disregard my last comment then. :D

Sheilz
10th February 2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate you all taking time to offer advice. I think the point about hidden corrosion and having to replace different parts incurring more labour costs was what the other half was suggesting too.

Neil and Lorna
10th February 2008, 05:35 PM
Shielz PM sent.

Neil.:) :D

Gorbash12346
11th February 2008, 10:37 PM
if it's the metal is flaking off it's very common however it has several skins and it will be fine come mot time but yes it does look very scabby when it does

Sheilz
12th February 2008, 11:34 PM
if it's the metal is flaking off it's very common however it has several skins and it will be fine come mot time but yes it does look very scabby when it does

I wont let the other half read this one :D:D:D

Burple
13th February 2008, 11:19 AM
You won't regret the Playmini Shielz! :cool::cool:
Like Craig said, I've had mine for about 4 years (it'll be 5 this august), and the only thing I've had to replace were the bolts holding it to the front part of the exhaust, and that was only cos they're were knackered when I took it off the Cooper! :cool:
The clamp holding the 2 sections together is on it's way out, I might have to sot that this summer, but it *has* been on the exhaust 4 and a half years!

The noise just gets better and better, I still quite often put the window down when I'm leaving for work in the morning so I can get an earful! :D:D

Sheilz
13th February 2008, 11:30 PM
My exhaust has lasted three & half years and 114,500 miles so far so if the playmini is better then it should see specy into his dotage;) Cant wait to get this thing on. One of these decades I must stop being twenty;):D:D:D

Sheilz
16th February 2008, 08:20 PM
Specy's voice has broken ;) He was 'talking' with a growly voice tonight :D:D
His new 'voice box' looks good and sounds even better:D:D:D

ScottishCooper
27th February 2008, 08:34 PM
Hi,

Just thought I would add here that I took delivery of mine today. Cant wait to see and here it fitted.
Was thinking on doing myself but unsure just how easy it would be.
Car is going in for MOT in couple of weeks to local garage and was thinking of just having them do it at the same time. Not the weather to be lying out in the drive......

The Dogfather
27th February 2008, 09:21 PM
Hi,

Just thought I would add here that I took delivery of mine today. Cant wait to see and here it fitted.
Was thinking on doing myself but unsure just how easy it would be.
Car is going in for MOT in couple of weeks to local garage and was thinking of just having them do it at the same time. Not the weather to be lying out in the drive......

You need it up on a ramp to do it safely.

Gismo
28th February 2008, 06:06 AM
I did mine on the deck with wee ramps and well positioned axle stands

The Dogfather
28th February 2008, 07:11 AM

Not so sure I'd trust them but that's the sort of thing I meant. I just meant not with a jack, I saw some nutter doing his brakes like that, he was sat with his legs under the car whist doing it:eek:

Crombers
28th February 2008, 12:19 PM
Specy's voice has broken ;) He was 'talking' with a growly voice tonight :D:D
His new 'voice box' looks good and sounds even better:D:D:D

Tis almost addictive innit ;)

Crombers
28th February 2008, 12:21 PM
I still quite often put the window down when I'm leaving for work in the morning so I can get an earful! :D:D

& I put my window down on the way back as well , tis the best aftermarket product you can buy your MINI imho ;)

The Dogfather
28th February 2008, 02:15 PM
You should hear my Larini, hard to describe the sound as it changes. Drive slowly for awhile it sounds all italian roadstery but boot it for a few minutes and I guess the exhaust warms up a bit more and all hell breaks loose. Weird!

ScottishCooper
9th March 2008, 07:24 PM

Decided just to get the garage to do it for me while doing the MOT.
Save me lying in the Snow/Rain/Sunshine/Hail/Sleet that we're getting just now........

monkimagic
9th April 2008, 06:55 PM

Is it straight forward enough to do?

Gismo
9th April 2008, 07:00 PM
Is it straight forward enough to do?
Was for me, but then nothing was rusted solid except the bolt at the flange, so, before you start, get 2 new bolts, stainless and a new gasket.
I can't comment on the hanger rubbers etc