PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 :)

FergusM
7th February 2008, 12:57 PM
:D

Well I got some vouchers from my work for being there 15 years, so went into Frasers to see what I could spend them on....and and after a trail round the shop, convincing my better half that there was nothing else to buy...I got a 40GB PS3 :)

I am loving it, and already getting told to get off it....

....now all I need is a nice 50" TV to go with it....and loads more games... :D :D :D

drb5374
7th February 2008, 01:15 PM
Ah 50" plasma.....we got a Samsung a while ago and haven't looked back. :cool: Quite cheap now too.

With COD4 on the PS3, looks are stunning. :D

What games you got mate? Maybe we can get a NMS COD4 battle? :cool:

Gismo
7th February 2008, 01:26 PM
What games you got mate? Maybe we can get a NMS COD4 battle? :cool:
Nice one, you'll have to wait until i get home in March though :)

drb5374
7th February 2008, 01:29 PM
You work away from home mate?

Currently up to level 50..........but still getting b1tch slapped, by every other player. :(

Gismo
7th February 2008, 01:50 PM
You work away from home mate?
Yep, month away and a month at home, i still need plenty of practice too :o

drb5374
7th February 2008, 02:00 PM
Bugger eh?

We could do a amateur game and a semi-professional game then, for when we get half decent. :D

FergusM
7th February 2008, 02:21 PM
Only have COD3 :( and Resistance fall of man (delivered today)....wife ordered Sonic so she has something to play....

COD4 is next on my list (once I get paid that is)..wife did comment that I was being very nice to myself these days... :(

drb5374
7th February 2008, 02:24 PM
Aha! Some man! Strangely enough, i'm waiting for COD3 and Resistance to be delivered too, so will get you on the friend list for them! :cool:

FergusM
7th February 2008, 02:27 PM
And....I have yet to go online with any games, figured I best get a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit more used to the control etc before embarrassing myself.

Well I did only get it on Sunday...

drb5374
7th February 2008, 02:30 PM
Tbh, i was the exact same, but going online has given me the best practice.

You will STILL see a lot of people worse than you. Peeps jumping on the spot and waiting for.....something. :confused: :D

Big Gordy
7th February 2008, 02:31 PM
COD3...COD4...:confused:
Is it some kind of fishing game.......:eek:
How do you play 'Cash On Delivery'......:confused:
I'm confused.............must be because I'm a year older:rolleyes: :p
Ross has some desert racing game and F1

FergusM
7th February 2008, 03:12 PM
Call Of Duty...3 or 4... nice shoot em up game... :)

drb5374
7th February 2008, 03:19 PM
Pmsl at Gordy. Desert racing game will no doubt be Motorstorm. :D

Not got it myself, but do have a downloaded demo. Not my cup of tea, but ment to be really good when you get into it.

Must say, i hated first person shooters, but COD is real easy to get the controls of, although i do still get myself caught running into a wall when trying the get away from an enemy. :D:rolleyes:

Burple
7th February 2008, 03:46 PM
Nobody else got an Xbox and PGR4 or Ace Combat 6? :confused:

Or into PC gaming and plays Quakewars?

Friend of mine got COD4 recently and she loves it (yes, *she* ;))
..incidentally she is working for the games company (in Dundee) who are currently working on http://www.apb.com/ which looks like it might be a massive game :cool::D

stoney
7th February 2008, 03:47 PM
stop it you lot :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i want one but just not got the pennies :( :( the now ;)

drb5374
7th February 2008, 03:49 PM
Xbox is for people who can put up with problems. :p I got rid of my 360 ages ago for the PS3. Had just too many issues with it, i couldn't stand it any longer. :(

APB looks interesting....sort of GTA-ish, which also looks rather sweet. :D

Burple
7th February 2008, 03:59 PM
Xbox is for people who can put up with problems. :p I got rid of my 360 ages ago for the PS3. Had just too many issues with it, i couldn't stand it any longer. :(

APB looks interesting....sort of GTA-ish, which also looks rather sweet. :D

Can't say I've ever had any bother with mine, although I've not spent much time on xbox live, mostly to download demos and game add ons :D
...and kick the collective a$$es of a bunch of 'Merkins on Ace Combat in the Eurofighter :D:D:D

APB is very GTA, online cops and robbers! She's well excited about it, but then, she should be, they're paying her rather well to be a producer! :D

drb5374
7th February 2008, 04:02 PM
Yer quite a few people haven't had any problems with theirs and it defo seems that when it works well, it's defo a great machine. :)

It's a hard life for some people isn't it? :D Getting paid lots of money....who'd be up for that????? :confused: ;)

AeroJonny
7th February 2008, 04:14 PM
I've got COD4 on ps3 and it's fantastic. My gamertag is aerojonny, feel free to add me guys! I'm mince tho, think i'm a mighty level 2/3.

Fergus, if you're not using an hdmi cable, you've gotta get one, it's like night and day!!!

drb5374
7th February 2008, 04:18 PM
Good stuff. Will add you later on Johnny. My tag is funnily enough drb5374. :D

Too true about the hdmi. Makes it all so much more worthwhile, when you see it in HD. :cool: Mind you, half the time your too busy getting killed, to notice the scenery. lol

FergusM
7th February 2008, 04:20 PM
I've got COD4 on ps3 and it's fantastic. My gamertag is aerojonny, feel free to add me guys! I'm mince tho, think i'm a mighty level 2/3.

Fergus, if you're not using an hdmi cable, you've gotta get one, it's like night and day!!!

Not got anything to plug in the hdmi cable into... afraid I have a 32" CRT TV with scart slots presently...and the cries of "the games would be much better on a 50" HDTV" are falling on deaf ears.... :mad:

drb5374
7th February 2008, 04:26 PM
This is our's here...
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-900793/TVs/Samsung-PS-50Q97HDX-Compare-Prices

We paid a bit more than that nearly a year ago, but it isn't expensive for all you get. ;)

AeroJonny
7th February 2008, 04:27 PM
Good stuff. Will add you later on Johnny. My tag is funnily enough drb5374. :D

Too true about the hdmi. Makes it all so much more worthwhile, when you see it in HD. :cool: Mind you, half the time your too busy getting killed, to notice the scenery. lol

At my level, that's unfortunately the case!

AeroJonny
7th February 2008, 04:29 PM
well if you're not greedy about it, go for a 40" ;) Not too big, not too small. In saying that, they're not in massive rooms.

Big Gordy
7th February 2008, 04:30 PM
My mates laddie is on his 5th Xbox...:eek: :eek:
They keep going phut on him....:mad:

drb5374
7th February 2008, 04:30 PM
Like i said earlier, i'm at level 50, but i can see myself coming out of a match having only killed 1 or 2 guys. :D

Headquarters is best for building up your points, which is what i play all the time. I just simply bolt to the target area and hope for the best. :D:D

Shame bout his Xbox. AV Forums has loads of people in the same boat, though i have still heard of the odd issue with PS3's.

Burple
7th February 2008, 05:33 PM
Not got anything to plug in the hdmi cable into... afraid I have a 32" CRT TV with scart slots presently...and the cries of "the games would be much better on a 50" HDTV" are falling on deaf ears.... :mad:

If you've got any component inputs on yer telly, use them over the Scarts..
I did that with mine and the xbox, amazing difference just by binning the Scart connector..

AndyP & Lenore
7th February 2008, 06:30 PM
If you've got any component inputs on yer telly, use them over the Scarts..
I did that with mine and the xbox, amazing difference just by binning the Scart connector..

Did/do they make CRT's with component inputs?

My PS3 has been sitting gathering dust for two months. We've got a Neville Johnson bespoke living room unit which houses all my AV stuff, DVD player, Sky + box and Denon Amp and our Plasma is attached above it. But at Christmas our PS3 did something funny and refused to send a Dolby Digital signal to our Denon so it came out in favour of the DVD player going back in. I need to sort out the myriad of cables in the unit so I can fit the DVD player and the PS3 in there at the same time.

Then I need to buy COD4. :D

A.:D

drb5374
7th February 2008, 06:38 PM
Lol, i'm a bit similar there.

We moved into a new flat about a year ago and i've still not wired the amp, speakers and dvd recorder up. :D

The flat is that tinny, i reckon i'd have a few complaints from the neighbours, if i went and wired it up though. :rolleyes: Mind you, that would give me an even bigger reason for turning it up louder. :D

Oh and Jonny, i've added you fella. :cool:

zimbo
7th February 2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah the PS3 is brilliant and even better now with the new HD telly and HDMI cable...:D COD4 is amazing!! but I have been told/heard that its only when you go online that it really comes into its own as an awesome game!! but unfortunately I'm not linked up online yet and not too sure how to either but eventually I will try to get it set up. But COD4 is definately the best shoot em up game I've had the pleasure of playing in a very VERY long time.

The only other game I can think of just that I am really looking forward to getting for my PS3 is GT5 if they call it that. :p I've loved all the GT series of the games and now that they have FERRARIS at long last, I just know its going to be brilliant...

AndyP & Lenore
7th February 2008, 08:49 PM
I bought Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas at launch and found it utterly uncontrollable. Just too many buttons to push at the same time to control what you want the person to do. Is COD4 like this? Or is it a bit easier to control?

I'm looking forward to Grand Theft Auto 4 when it eventually comes out. Some mindless violence for a change.;)

zimbo
7th February 2008, 09:02 PM
Andy I have Rainbow six: VEGAS as well and it is a really good game as well, but just it's like chalk and cheese the difference between that and COD4 both in game play and in graphics terms. But I love shooting games:D (especially the 'snipeing' side of them...:p)

drb5374
7th February 2008, 09:07 PM
COD is VERY like that buttonwise, but i found it easy to used to it all. I'm always very hand to brain please compute, but COD has opened up a whole new world of gaming to me. :)

I got GT5:Prologue about Xmas time and played it for about 2-3 hours. It's all about slipstreaming and no modding capabilities at all. :( Very plain gaming and when you get to the hard level, it's simply impossible IMHO. Bring on the "proper" GT5 i say.

Can't wait the GTA either. Trailers looks amazing. :D

Burple
8th February 2008, 01:09 AM
Did/do they make CRT's with component inputs?

Well, not true component, but the red yellow and white variety (video, left and right audio..) :D:D

AndyP & Lenore
8th February 2008, 08:58 AM
Well, not true component, but the red yellow and white variety (video, left and right audio..) :D:D

Ach, that's pants. You'd be better with a scart input. That at least separates out the Red, Blue and Green signals. Your yellow video input has all that info meshed together, then your TV has to make sense of it all. It's only one better than a composite rf lead, with the audio meshed in as well.

Gismo
8th February 2008, 09:34 AM
Anyone else playing the Formula 1, fantastic online as well :)
If anyone's got any tips on how to get the pit changes sorted i'd be most grateful, best i can do just now is around 12 seconds :eek: am i just pants at pressing the buttons :rolleyes:

FergusM
8th February 2008, 10:00 AM
Now got an online tag "r14282" so please add me...

Once I get COD4 we can arrange a time to be online :) By then hoping I am better at things, got resistance, fall of man....and got killed continually. It is well hard...and that is on the "easy" setting...

drb5374
8th February 2008, 10:23 AM
I'll add you and when i get COD3 in, i'll keep an eye out for you. :cool:

The Bull
8th February 2008, 01:42 PM
Anyone play COD4 on PC?

AeroJonny
8th February 2008, 02:11 PM
I do occasionally when i go to a gaming place in glasgow.

AeroJonny
9th February 2008, 01:45 AM
Accepted your add drb, and i've sent you a request fergus. Lets start an nms clan!!! :D

FergusM
9th February 2008, 08:44 AM
I will have to go and work out where I accept, still finding my way round the system...so far I love it !

drb5374
9th February 2008, 09:31 AM
Lol. :D

Done what you've been up to Jonny? Any time i seen you were online, it didn't say what you were playing...usually it does?

AeroJonny
10th February 2008, 01:28 PM
My sister's been using it to watch dvds a lot the last few days!

drb5374
10th February 2008, 02:01 PM
Pmsl! That'll explain it then. :D

Fergus, i think it's fairly self explanitory, when you want to accept an invitation. Can't remember exactly, but pretty sure it talks you easily through it.

zimbo
10th February 2008, 07:26 PM
Cant seem to be able to connect my PS3 to the net!!! I must be stupid or something...(SHUT IT, Ewen...) All this computer stuff is just going right over my head, 'Proxy', 'DHCP', 'DNS server' blah blah blahhhh grrrrrrr. Been trying for ages now and keeps coming up 'timed out' will give it a couple more goes and see how I get on. If still fails I'll just forget all about even trying it again.................

drb5374
10th February 2008, 07:42 PM
Hmm. You on broadband?

All i do, is take another ethernet cable from the modem straight to the PS3...exact same way as i would the laptop.

AeroJonny
10th February 2008, 10:49 PM
i did mine with my wireless easy as pie...set up my mate's for him too

AndyP & Lenore
11th February 2008, 12:56 AM
i did mine with my wireless easy as pie...set up my mate's for him too

Mine is wireless too. I found it very easy. But networking is always easy if its... easy. If something doesn't quite gel or doesn't work first time around, it can be a real PITA.:o

Burple
11th February 2008, 01:43 AM
Cant seem to be able to connect my PS3 to the net!!! I must be stupid or something...(SHUT IT, Ewen...) All this computer stuff is just going right over my head, 'Proxy', 'DHCP', 'DNS server' blah blah blahhhh grrrrrrr. Been trying for ages now and keeps coming up 'timed out' will give it a couple more goes and see how I get on. If still fails I'll just forget all about even trying it again.................

:rolleyes:;):p:D

You got a wirelss adapter?
How is your broadband set up? Is it wireless or cabled?
Are you plugging your PS3 into the broadband modem?
Are you using an Ethernet cable? (like a phone one, but thicker, and bigger plugs?)
Do you *have* an ethernet cable? :D
I've got a spare ;) I'll bring it round on Tues ya dobber.. :p:D

drb5374
11th February 2008, 12:57 PM
Well i got to level 55 on COD4 and after checking the AVForums, i WON'T be taking on Prestige mode.

Dunno who else has got this far (probably a couple of you), but i can't see the point of progressing.

I won't spoil it for those who haven't gotten this far, if you don't want to...

zimbo
11th February 2008, 09:21 PM
Well got my IP address working ok, but am now getting a DNR failure...

Think I'm maybe not meant to play online!!! :rolleyes:

zimbo
13th February 2008, 07:53 PM
Thanx to a certain little member on these forums I am now online :D and the first thing i did was downloaded the GT HD demo, which is not that impressive and I REALLY hope the finished article will be a lot better... but I am so impressed with the graphics/scenery on it though :eek::cool:

Now need to practice a lot more before trying to play COD4 online with fellow NMSers :D

drb5374
13th February 2008, 09:58 PM
I have a couple of PS3 games for sale on Ebay inc GT5.

The HD demo is pretty good IMHO, but the game is pants....not like the old games at all. :(

AndyP & Lenore
16th February 2008, 12:13 AM
Got myself COD4 today. Been playing it for a couple of hours. I seem to be pretty cr@p TBH. But loving it though. I would say it's one of the best shoot-em-up games since the original Medal Of Honor on the PC. Finding it much easier to control than Clancy's Vegas.

My online ID is AndyP11. Feel free to add me.;)

I'll add drb5374 and r14282 later this evening.

Am I right in saying we need 8 in total to have our own game?

Gismo
16th February 2008, 10:37 AM
Don't forget me, i'll be home in March ;)

drb5374
16th February 2008, 11:19 AM
IIRC Andy, you can play games with as little as one other person.

To get your XP up as quick as possible, i played headquarters.

Will get hooked up just now for a wee game i thinks. :D

zimbo
16th February 2008, 07:29 PM
Well i'm online with PS3 at last... my ID is zimbo777 so will keep an eye out for some of you once I try and get online with COD4 assuming it's idiot proof!! :D

AndyP & Lenore
16th February 2008, 08:14 PM
Don't forget me, i'll be home in March ;)

Alan, what's your ID?

Well i'm online with PS3 at last... my ID is zimbo777 so will keep an eye out for some of you once I try and get online with COD4 assuming it's idiot proof!! :D

Zimbo, I'll add you as soon as I'm next online. Probably Wednesday evening before I'm back on though.

AndyP & Lenore
16th February 2008, 08:14 PM
IIRC Andy, you can play games with as little as one other person.

To get your XP up as quick as possible, i played headquarters.

Will get hooked up just now for a wee game i thinks. :D

That's cool. I'll have a look at that.:D

Gismo
17th February 2008, 05:34 AM
Alan, what's your ID?
I'm sure it's:-

the_gismo_man

But, i can't remember :o you'll have to wait until i get home to check, plus, sometimes Wee Jase (note, bigger than me now) uses my ID to get online

stoney
17th February 2008, 11:30 AM
lok out for godwier thats my mates name so i may be there as well but we are crap at it

AndyP & Lenore
17th February 2008, 01:07 PM
lok out for godwier thats my mates name so i may be there as well but we are crap at it

Will add your mate next time I'm on.;)

zimbo
17th February 2008, 05:46 PM
Man COD4 online is BRILLIANT, only problem is that it's VERY hard to put the controller down once you get started..... :p:D lets just say I have spent a very big part of today playing :o, getting my XP up pretty quickly now tho.

My favourite section so far is FREE-FOR-ALL. headquarters I was finding a little bit tough.

Do any of you guys have the headphones or what ever it is thats required to chat while playing? I'm not sure I could cope with trying to do that as well as playing the game.

Now I have to resist playing it again today ....must resist!!! :eek: