PDA

View Full Version : some advice needed on my tlc service package

pamelab21
7th February 2008, 10:16 AM
Hi all

Hoping somone can advise as getting a little concerned about the servicing of my Mini.
Bought the car from a non Mini dealer but have all the books and tlc booklet.
The car milage is currently 30500 and says it has another 4000 miles to go before it needs a service. Its coming up for 4 years old in May.
Accoring to the tlc book it had its 1st oil service on 12/12/05, unsure of milage at this stage. The next page is 1st inspection service (approx 25000 miles) this has never been done and DP Mini in Ham,ilton said the car tells me when it needs done so another 4000 miles. At that point it will be 34500 miles....can this be correct? At this rate the 5 years will be up and I won't have had it serviced? The 2nd oil service page says approx 40000 miles.
The 1st brake fluid change has never been done, I think the car syas this needs done in 6000 miles.
Will I actually get to use any of these vouchers, can I use them even when the car doesn't tell me it needs them?
Sorry for the essay but wanted to put all details on!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

KenL
7th February 2008, 10:41 AM
I though the dealer could check the "system" to check how many TLC services the car has had.

It sounds like your car is coming up for the third (last R50) service.

The R50 generally needed serviced at ~10k, 25k and 40k miles.

pamelab21
7th February 2008, 10:46 AM
that means its overdue its 2nd service then by 5500 miles?
I should be able to call and book it in without DP questioning it?

euan
7th February 2008, 10:51 AM
that means its overdue its 2nd service then by 5500 miles?
I should be able to call and book it in without DP questioning it?

It could be that it was done but just not stamped in the book. Would be worth swinging by a dealer and getting them to check on the key.

pamelab21
7th February 2008, 11:03 AM
Will try and get there tonight before they close then.
If it has missed its service am I entitled to get the missed one done (25000) and then get the 40000 done when that is due (thats if I cover 9500 in a year.

Gismo
7th February 2008, 11:23 AM
I'm sure there's a clause somewhere that states the TLC services must be performed within 500 miles over the schedule

Big Gordy
7th February 2008, 11:24 AM
From experience the dealers won't do any of the voucher stuff unless the car says so:( They claim BMW won't pay them for any work done outwith what the on board computer says:rolleyes:

pamelab21
7th February 2008, 11:56 AM
I have called Douglas Park and they have said I need to go in with the key, will not tell me anything until they check it.

I did ask the Mini sales manager just after I got the car when it was getting warranty work done about the servicing, she went out to the car turned the key and said when the car tells you, then thats when you book it in......just feel that as I do low mileage I won't get any services out the tlc pack and surely it can't be normal for the car to be running this long with the one and only service done in 2005 :confused:
Guess the key will need to be checked. Can't get there until Sat. :(

AndyP & Lenore
7th February 2008, 12:20 PM
The first brake fluid change is measured in days rather than miles. From memory you have 600 ish days on the clock when you first get the car, and it counts down roughly one day at a time. But I'm sure when we had our R53 Hyper Blue, if you drive the car more "spiritedly" the days count down more quickly.

However, if the fluid hasn't been changed since 2004 that's potentially 1200 days, well over the first brake fluid change due.:eek:

Best people to speak to regarding this is your dealer. Sooner you get in and get it all checked out the sooner you will get peace of mind.

A.;)

Big Gordy
7th February 2008, 01:58 PM
Menzies told me every 2 years for a brake fluid change:cool: which is the norm but I change the oil and filter every year no matter what the mileage is:D

duncan
7th February 2008, 08:36 PM
Got a letter today, and MINI recomend every 2 years for the brake fluid, and 4 years for the coolant.

On the subject of service when the computer tells you to, my old ONE was serviced outside of the schedules by the dealer before I bought it (ex-demo). It was 5,000 miles too soon. :rolleyes:

pamelab21
14th February 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys.
Took the key to Mini at the weekend and although the key said 3500 miles to go, the service guy said it goes by what the car says or every two years for the service so it was due a service in Dec 2007 which they are going to do next week and also change the brake fluid as well I believe.
Thank god thats sorted and thank god I checked, could have taken me another 6months or so to cover 3500 miles!

Big Gordy
14th February 2008, 02:42 PM
could have taken me another 6months or so to cover 3500 miles!

Takes us over a year to do those VAST amounts of miles:eek: :rolleyes: :D

euan
14th February 2008, 04:13 PM
Takes us over a year to do those VAST amounts of miles:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Takes me 9 weeks! :eek:

pamelab21
22nd February 2008, 11:13 AM
I am afraid I have a hubby who thinks that when we go anywhere he has to drive and take his car. Unless of course there is alcohol and then I am designated taxi :mad: