PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about the new England football manager...

AndyP & Lenore
6th February 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm not the least interested in football. I gave up being interested in football when I was in Primary 7 and discovered that there was a reason I was always picked last when "the guys" met in the park for a kick-about. Simple reason really. Couldn't run, couldn't kick, couldn't header, scared of the ball and got bored within minutes. It wasn't really the case that I was picked last, it was more a case of the respective chooser was dumped with me. It even got to the stage where they would try and work out who picks first, to ensure they weren't dumped with me.

And my disinterest has continued I'm afraid to say. I have never even watched a Scotland game, which I suppose is a bit embarrassing.:o :o

However, something caught my eye earlier today. The new England Manager was being interviewed on TV - Sky News I think it was.

Am I right in saying he doesn't speak a word of ENGLISH?!?!? He had a translator with him.:confused: :confused:

I'm in no position to judge, as is clearly exhibited above, I just thought that it was a strange thing to see.:confused:

I can only assume that out of the thousands of potential Manager's in England the best one they can find to run the English National team, isn't English?:eek:

WTF?:rolleyes:

A.:confused:

duncan
6th February 2008, 01:21 AM
He does speak a little bit - although not enough to do press conferences.

Plus, he's got an army of assistants.

Bear in mind, since the Premierships creation, no English manager has won it, and the top teams, Aresnal, Man U, Liverpool, and Chelsea don't have English bosses currently either.

As long as they didn't go for Craig Levein, I wasn't caring who they got in as Manager. ;)

The Dogfather
6th February 2008, 07:32 AM
Capello is a great choice, he's single-minded, confident and has never been seen with an umbrella on the touchline.

There are no decent English managers with enough experience to revolutionise the English International setup. The only two I can think of who could take over still have to prove themselves, Alan Curbishley and Denis Wise. Trouble is if Capello fails they are likely to go for Pyscho Pearce next time, and he's not ready IMO.

AndyP & Lenore
6th February 2008, 08:49 AM
Fairynuff guys.;)

I'm not suggesting the man isn't qualified for the job - I've never heard of him, nor the other guys you mentioned - but it still seems..... almost unpatriotic to me to have a non-English person manage the national team. Am I right in saying the players must be English (or have English parents) even if not born in England?

A.:D

The Dogfather
6th February 2008, 09:47 AM
Fairynuff guys.;)

I'm not suggesting the man isn't qualified for the job - I've never heard of him, nor the other guys you mentioned - but it still seems..... almost unpatriotic to me to have a non-English person manage the national team. Am I right in saying the players must be English (or have English parents) even if not born in England?

A.:D

The manager doesn't touch the ball during the game so why does he have to be English? All he has to do is get the best of the English players :rolleyes:. A lot of international teams don't have a manager from their own country, and it took a long time for England to go the non-English route. In fact Capello is only the second.

To play for your national team you have to have relatives (parents or grandparents) who were born in the country, or you yourself must be a 'national' to that country either by birth or residency. If you qualify for more than one country then you can choose, however once you play a full international you can't swap.

This is why a lot of English players have played for Scotland, Ireland (both) and Wales. Ryan Giggs actually played for England Schoolboys before choosing Wales.

euan
6th February 2008, 09:55 AM
Andy, when they appointed him he spoke no english whatsoever. He spent 3 months learning and can now talk english to the players and his coaches, but doesn't to the press in case he says the wrong thing and the press manipulate it.

You know how the press in this country can twist anything, I don't blame him for not trusting them!

AeroJonny
6th February 2008, 04:49 PM
Andy, when they appointed him he spoke no english whatsoever. He spent 3 months learning and can now talk english to the players and his coaches, but doesn't to the press in case he says the wrong thing and the press manipulate it.

You know how the press in this country can twist anything, I don't blame him for not trusting them!

Exactly what I was about to say!

And for what it's worth, I think it's a great appointment. Mourinho was never going to take a national team job at this point, he's admitted it's not part of his plan. Big Phil Scolari didn't take the job on account of the British press, so you can't blame Capello for being careful with what he says.:cool: