PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bonnie Scotland....

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2008, 08:24 PM
The new Jack Reacher book is a corker.;) "Nothing To Loose".:D

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
5th February 2008, 12:11 PM
Bump. Now he's back from his weekend away, he might see the post.;)

Gismo
5th February 2008, 12:24 PM
Bump. Now he's back from his weekend away, he might see the post.;)
Aye, now i see it :) i just finished reading the last of the paperback ones, i didn't buy the last book cause it's a hardback and i'm tight wiv ma money, but, as soon as they are released in paperback i'll get into them

AndyP & Lenore
5th February 2008, 12:33 PM
Aye, now i see it :) i just finished reading the last of the paperback ones, i didn't buy the last book cause it's a hardback and i'm tight wiv ma money, but, as soon as they are released in paperback i'll get into them

Ah. K. Bad Luck & Trouble goes on sale in paperback on 10th March 2008. And the book I've just finished (Nothing To Lose) goes on sale in hardback on March 24th 2008. Will be some time in 2009 before that goes out in paperback.

Damb fine books, the lot of them.

A.;)

Gismo
5th February 2008, 12:39 PM
Damb fine books, the lot of them.

A.;)
Yep, very thankful for the tip, i gave all the books away to Me Julie's brother.
Luckily Dean Koontz and Stephen King have released another few books between them that will keep my interest going for a few months :)

AndyP & Lenore
5th February 2008, 12:45 PM
Haven't read any Stephen King. If I did read any of his I suspect it would be the Shawshank Redemption type of book. Not into horror at all.

I got a loan of a Dean Koontz book from a mate. Can't get into it TBH.

Have you read any Lawrence Block? Or Robert Crais?

Gismo
5th February 2008, 01:53 PM

A.:DNope, never heard of em :o

AndyP & Lenore
10th February 2008, 05:20 PM

Nope, never heard of em :o

Forgot to reply to this.

Lawrence Block writes a few character series books. Best of all of them is a former New York city cop called Mathew Scudder. The books started in the late 70's and continue to present day. They are very good private detective novels. Matt isn't so much a private detective as he is unlicensed, but he does "favors for friends, for money". I've never been to NYC, but those who have say that LB writes about NYC like no one else on the planet. Excellent gritty hard boiled detective novels. I highly recommend.

Robert Crais cut his teeth writing the Quincy TV shows. But soon moved onto his private detective books featuring a PI called Elive Cole. Again, this is an excellent series of books which also features Elivis's side kick, a guy called Joe Pike. Pike is as tough as Jack Reacher and has very similar ethics when it comes to bad guys. On the fans forums it is often argued over who would win a fist fight between Reacher and Pike - Lee answered the question with a simple statement. "Neither of them. They would simply sit down and have a chat over a pint".

It's fair to say neither of them read like Lee's books, but I found both terrific entertainment and absolute first class quality writing. Both of them receiving the Golden Dagger and a good few other writers awards in the USA and UK. I doubt you'll find either of them in the likes of WHSmith, probably better online or in a decent Ottakars.

Where to start...

With Lawrence Block the first book is "Sins of the fathers". And Robert Crais's is "The Monkey's Raincoat".

www.lawrenceblock.com

www.robertcrais.com