PDA

View Full Version : Hello

The Long Goodbye
2nd February 2008, 04:45 PM
Hi all... thought I'd introduce myself and tell you why I'm on here! I've never driven a mini in my life - prefer older quattros - but my girlfriend is wanting to buy a Mini Cooper and I have been tasked with finding out as much as I can about them. So, que lots of searching on the net and looking at the different specifications etc. She'll be buying 2nd hand, budget of around £10,000.

I've had a look on pistonheads and autotrader etc. and the prices seem to be all over the place! Coopers that are are badly specced for the same price as a slightly older Cooper S with a tad more miles but a much more decent spec list. I'm inclined to go with the latter but she's adamant on the Cooper because of lower insurance/running costs and something that isn't as fast.

I'll look through to the forum to see if I can find any older threads with info but any words of wisdom and opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

TLG

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2008, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the site TLG! You've come to the right place.;)

I would agree with your GF, a Cooper should be fine for what she seems to want. You may find a decent specced Cooper S for the same price, but it will be older and will probably be a pre-facelift Cooper S so would have the questionable gearbox.

At the end of the day a Cooper is as good/fast/much fun as an S on twisties, which is where the MINI is most at home.:D

I've no doubt others will be along in good time to offer their own words of wisdom.

Just remember once you get your new MINI home, post up some pics. We love pics here!;)

A.:D

The Long Goodbye
2nd February 2008, 05:02 PM
Cheers... I'm looking forward to the legendary Cooper handling as the car is known for its abilities on the twisties!

And yes - once we've found a mini and bought one I'll be sure to post some pics up. The gf particularly likes blue with the white roof/mirrors bonnet stripes and the extra driving lamps. Not that she's pernickety or anything! :D

I have to say that I'm a Hyper blue fan although I think this was only available on the Cooper S until recently? Correct me if I'm wrong as the Mini thing is a whole new world to me!

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2008, 05:21 PM
Cheers... I'm looking forward to the legendary Cooper handling as the car is known for it's abilities on the twisties!

And yes - once we've found a mini and bought one I'll be sure to post some pics up. The gf particularly likes blue with the white roof/mirrors bonnet stripes and the extra driving lamps. Not that she's pernickety or anything! :D

I have to say that I'm a Hyper blue fan although I think this was only available on the Cooper S until recently? Correct me if I'm wrong as the Mini thing is a whole new world to me!

Hyper Blue was only available on Cooper S until late 2005. After then it was availabel across the range. Cheapest Hyper Blue Cooper I can find on MINI Cherished site is £10,995. You'll no doubt find one selling privately (Autotrader or Pistonheads) for less though.;)

Craig
2nd February 2008, 05:54 PM
Welcome. :D :D

Hyper Blue is one of the best colours... ;) I'm biased tho as mine is with a black roof.

as for price, my car is 56 plate and I got it in Nov last year with 7k on the clock and paid less than £13. If I was you, I would aim for a face-lift model (ie mid to late 2004 onwards) as they seem to be better built, more reliable and also get away from the worst gearbox.. :)

best of luck with your search. :cool:

Crombers
4th February 2008, 06:58 PM
If I was you, I would aim for a face-lift model (ie mid to late 2004 onwards) as they seem to be better built, more reliable and also get away from the worst gearbox.. :)

Nowt wrong with my BL gearbox mate :p

I've got a June 2004 late late original version with 53K on the clock. Only problems thus far have been faulty steering rack & column (replaced FOC under warranty & a known problem area). Clutch judder was appearing intermitantly a few months ago but seems to have disappeared after some advise from mechanic friend. I'm still on the original brake pads front & rear but with my first BIG service due in 3K (:D bought the extended TLC) i'm gonna change them before MINI offer to do so for ££££plenty

Car due for retirement very very soon & garage currently being upgraded to accomodate. Will then be pampered to some tlc from time to time & may even clean it occassionally ;)

drb5374
4th February 2008, 08:33 PM
Welcome. :)

Gismo
5th February 2008, 09:23 AM
welcome, good luck with your search :)

Sheilz
15th February 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi. Think your girlfriend has got extremely good taste:). I can only agree with the other guys recommending going for a facelift model. I've got an electric blue cooper which was only available from late 04. I know that coz mine was the first in Aberdeen. It has a different gearbox from the earlier models. Specy has done serious mileage without needing anything other than tyres and brake pads changed. We've had other cars in the family that haven't done anything like specy's mileage but were a whole lot more bother.
Hope she finds what she's looking for:D:D:D

The Long Goodbye
24th February 2008, 12:12 PM
Just to update the thread...

We've now got a stunning 55 plate Cooper with the Chilli pack in Hyper Blue with the white roof and mirror caps. It's got a great spec too. I'll post some pics up later today.

Cheers for the advice everyone and to those of you who have PM'd with cars for sale... sorry. We've got one!

Think I may be a Mini convert!

Gismo
24th February 2008, 12:14 PM
Think I may be a Mini convert!
Congrats on the new purchase, happy motoring :)

AndyP & Lenore
24th February 2008, 03:01 PM
Excellent. Congratulations on the purchase.

The Long Goodbye
2nd March 2008, 08:17 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/RacyBacy/Mini%20pics/Rear-2.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/RacyBacy/Mini%20pics/Front-2.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/RacyBacy/Mini%20pics/Front-1.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/RacyBacy/Mini%20pics/Side-1.jpg

I'll try and get some better pics uploaded when the car is gleaming and there's some decent daylight!

Craig
2nd March 2008, 08:24 PM
Hyper Blue... Great choice.. Car looking good.:cool:

what's on the list for mods then ? :)

AndyP & Lenore
2nd March 2008, 09:28 PM
Very nice TLG, very nice car indeed.;)

The Long Goodbye
2nd March 2008, 10:11 PM
Cheers for the comments.

As for mods...

Rubber floor mats!
Stainless exhaust system
Whiter lights for the sidelights so that they match the xenon's
Spot lights

Where's the best place for this sort of stuff? BMW?

Craig
2nd March 2008, 10:19 PM
Cheers for the comments.

As for mods...

Rubber floor mats!
Stainless exhaust system
Whiter lights for the sidelights so that they match the xenon's
Spot lights

Where's the best place for this sort of stuff? BMW?

Rubber Floor Mats - BMW, fairly cheap and very good quality

Stainless Exhaust - Playmini slash cut with unsilenced front part www.playmini2.co.uk

Whiter Lights - you can get LED sidelights ones from www.newministuff.com or Mikey also does Halogen side lights. Or try www.powerbulbs.com

Spot Lights - 2 or 4 ? www.plminishop.com are a very good company to deal with. :D

hope this helps. ;)

The Long Goodbye
2nd March 2008, 10:23 PM
Wow - quick reply with hyperlinks too! Cheers.

How loud is the playmini exhaust? We would like something that's relatively bearable on the motorway but has a good sound when going for it!

Craig
2nd March 2008, 10:26 PM
Wow - quick reply with hyperlinks too! Cheers.

How loud is the playmini exhaust? We would like something that's relatively bearable on the motorway but has a good sound when going for it!

that is EXACTLY how this system is. I have it along with a few others.. Lownloud, Zimbo, Bazthmod to name a few. It is very subtle on the motorway and not intrusive and gives a nice burble when ticking over and the all important growl when your giving it the beans. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

The Long Goodbye
2nd March 2008, 10:47 PM
It would be good to hear your car C&J.

I've just been on the plminishop site: there's a few spot lights kit I think would do the job at £125.00 (https://www.plminishop.com/product-BM63.12.0.137.301.html) and another at £63.83 (https://www.plminishop.com/product-S6055-KIT.html).

What's the difference though?!? The fact that the dearer ones are genuine? Are they worth the extra money?

Craig
2nd March 2008, 10:50 PM
to be honest, I believe that the MINI ones are chrome and do rust, so my advice would be to get stainless ones. I have looked at spots before and can't see the value in the more expensive ones.. :rolleyes:

you can hear my car anytime, where are you? we could maybe meet and you could have a run in the car. ;) I also have a K & N Induction kit so it sounds a wee bit more gruff. :cool:

Gismo
3rd March 2008, 03:56 AM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/RacyBacy/Mini%20pics/Rear-2.jpgI'll try and get some better pics uploaded when the car is gleaming and there's some decent daylight!
Hmm, very nice :eek: you don't want to be in the manky club then :rolleyes: