PDA

View Full Version : Just to open old wounds....

AndyP & Lenore
31st January 2008, 08:55 PM
Heavy snow with slightly reduced visibility.
Heavy rain with slightly reduced visibility.
Slightly cloudy overhead.
Dark.

None of the above require the use of fog lamps.:rolleyes:

So why TF is everyone (from neds in Corsa's to Grandads in 1985 Rover 2000's) driving around in this recent spell of rubbish weather with their FOGS ON!!!!?!?!?!?!?:mad: :mad: :mad:

A.;)

Gorbash12346
31st January 2008, 09:01 PM
i did on the way home as there was large piles of slush everywhere and my headlights don't light up a patch directly ahead of me that means i can't see where the stuff is... otherwise normally i would agree with you..

ianking
31st January 2008, 09:14 PM
:rolleyes:

So why TF is everyone (from neds in Corsa's to Grandads in 1985 Rover 2000's) :mad: :mad: :mad:

A.;)

Agree about the fogs.

Just to be a smart ar*e though. Rover 2000 stopped production in 1977 so it would be very hard to see a 1985 2000.
Year 1985 would have been a Mk1 200 series. If it had fog lights on it probably would have been the top model such as the Vanden Plas. God that takes me back, very far back, I would have been 3.
:p :D :p :D :p

The Dogfather
31st January 2008, 09:37 PM
i did on the way home as there was large piles of slush everywhere and my headlights don't light up a patch directly ahead of me that means i can't see where the stuff is... otherwise normally i would agree with you..

What speed were you traveling at? Foglights are aimed down and to the sides, the idea is they help you the see edges of the road and a very short distances in front of the car in very low visability.

So unless you were traveling at about 10mph all you were doing was causing a nuisance to other drivers. What you saw lit by the fog lights would have already been and gone by the time you reacted. You would have been able to react to what was lit by your dipped beam though.

Fog lights don't help unless of course you have superhuman reactions. So the question is do you wear underpants over your trousers and have a cape?

The Dogfather
31st January 2008, 09:40 PM
I think its a sheep thing. The neds do it because they think they look cool and gradually everyone has started to copy it. Oooo, look I have those lights on my car I should switch them on as well.

What a bunch of retarded sheep.

Gorbash12346
31st January 2008, 09:41 PM
yes but you see there is a big lack hole in the centre of the the light and it stretches quite a distance to the point that you only vaguely see whats on the tarmac ahead unless it's a bit taller if that makes any sense and i was doing 35mph.. brand new tyres and piles of slush.. surprised the esp warning light didn't blow it's bulb:(

and sorry but i didn't have them on to fit in with the crowd :S

Sweeney
31st January 2008, 09:45 PM
What sort of roads and at what speeds are we talking here?

Gorbash12346
31st January 2008, 09:49 PM
wolfclyde to libberton via quothquan... really awful road in those conditions

AndyP & Lenore
31st January 2008, 09:55 PM
Agree about the fogs.

Just to be a smart ar*e though. Rover 2000 stopped production in 1977 so it would be very hard to see a 1985 2000.
Year 1985 would have been a Mk1 200 series. If it had fog lights on it probably would have been the top model such as the Vanden Plas. God that takes me back, very far back, I would have been 3.
:p :D :p :D :p

Ian, did you get beaten up in school for being the class smart arse.:o ;) :D :eek:

A.:D

sedgie
31st January 2008, 09:55 PM
Dark.

So why TF is everyone (from neds in Corsa's to Grandads in 1985 Rover 2000's) driving around in this recent spell of rubbish weather with their SPOTS ON!!!!?!?!?!?!?:mad: :mad: :mad:

A.;)

LOL,,, COS THEY CAN!!!!!:mad: ....one word! FUDS!;) :D

The Dogfather
31st January 2008, 09:59 PM
yes but you see there is a big lack hole in the centre of the the light and it stretches quite a distance to the point that you only vaguely see whats on the tarmac ahead unless it's a bit taller if that makes any sense and i was doing 35mph.. brand new tyres and piles of slush.. surprised the esp warning light didn't blow it's bulb:(

and sorry but i didn't have them on to fit in with the crowd :S

35 mph is 15.4 metres per second.

Foglights light up the road about 20m or so in front of the car, which means you'd have just over a second to react. Most people are able to react in 0.5 seconds so realistically you'd have 0.7 seconds to do anything. Should be just enough time for you to scream oh bugger or cack ya pants :D

Sweeney
31st January 2008, 10:00 PM
The question was intended for andy gorbash ;) as i find that todays weather at its worst easily justified the use off fog lights.

ianking
31st January 2008, 10:01 PM
Ian, did you get beaten up in school for being the class smart arse.:o ;) :D :eek:

No but my mates would regularly threaten to beat me if I didnt stop talking about cars. :D

The Dogfather
31st January 2008, 10:03 PM
The question was intended for andy gorbash ;) as i find that todays weather at its worst easily justified the use off fog lights.

Why? was if foggy and visibility less than 100m?

duncan
31st January 2008, 10:08 PM
If you didn't have the rear fog lights on, why have the front ones on?
They're called FOG lights. Clues in the name, dontcha know. :rolleyes:

Sweeney
31st January 2008, 10:16 PM
Well travelling along at a fair speed (well within or at legal limit, on national limit roads) with the downpours we had the spray would've caused havoc. I know it has when ive been driving in it. So yes visibility almost diminished... Just because they are named "fog" lights, doesn't actually mean they must only be used if there is fog.

Craig
31st January 2008, 10:18 PM
b@wbags the lot o' them. :mad: :mad:

the more roadside checks they do, the more chance they have of catching these scrotums. ;)

there was one at the top of my road today, just saw them pulling over one of these said "cuel doods" with his fog lamps on, checked when I got back to work and spoke with one of the guys and he got a ticket for it... RESULT!!! :D :D They were also checking for red diesel, unroadworthy vehicles, no insurance, no licence etc etc, so only the law breakers being dealt with. :cool:

the best bit is, they didn't see it coming as they used an unmarked car with ANPR to do the spotting :)

duncan
31st January 2008, 10:29 PM
Well travelling along at a fair speed (well within or at legal limit, on national limit roads) with the downpours we had the spray would've caused havoc. I know it has when ive been driving in it. So yes visibility almost diminished... Just because they are named "fog" lights, doesn't actually mean they must only be used if there is fog.

You're trying to defend the undefedable to be honest. If you can only see 100 Meters in front of you, at 60 MPH you're going too fast. Foglights aren't going to help in the slightest.

KenL
31st January 2008, 10:32 PM
Yes, c'mon the cops!!!

Sweeney
31st January 2008, 10:34 PM
Not even going to bother replying, it'd be like tints all over again...

:eek:

;)

The Dogfather
31st January 2008, 10:37 PM
Sweeney peers over the edge of the precipice and sensibly steps back :D

Scottie
31st January 2008, 10:38 PM
driving around in this recent spell of rubbish weather with their SPOTS ON!!!!?!?!?!?!?:mad: :mad: :mad:

A.;)
thought we were talking fog lights??? yet you mention SPOTS ON??? ;) :D :rolleyes:

maybe since you mention Corsa's the young chaps need to use some clearasil
then maybe they won't have SPOTS ON.

The Dogfather
31st January 2008, 10:40 PM

the more roadside checks they do, the more chance they have of catching these scrotums. ;)

there was one at the top of my road today, just saw them pulling over one of these said "cuel doods" with his fog lamps on, checked when I got back to work and spoke with one of the guys and he got a ticket for it... RESULT!!! :D :D They were also checking for red diesel, unroadworthy vehicles, no insurance, no licence etc etc, so only the law breakers being dealt with. :cool:

the best bit is, they didn't see it coming as they used an unmarked car with ANPR to do the spotting :)

Love it, Love it.

Sorry, its become part of the lingo down here since F King Kev went back to Newcastle :o

Sweeney
31st January 2008, 10:40 PM
Nah nothing at all like that vidal, need to keep the blood pressure down :p

We all have our experiences, opinions and principles ;)

Im off to go drive with my fogs on just to annoy people... :cool:

Scottie
31st January 2008, 10:42 PM

Nice to see you admit to it only being men that would drive with their fogs on.:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :p

duncan
31st January 2008, 10:47 PM
Nah nothing at all like that vidal, need to keep the blood pressure down :p

We all have our experiences, opinions and principles ;)

Im off to go drive with my fogs on just to annoy people... :cool:

The only opinion that matters is the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations.

The Dogfather
31st January 2008, 10:54 PM
Blood pressure? I know you're from Glasgow but surely 20 with a blood pressure problem......

;)

AndyP & Lenore
31st January 2008, 11:04 PM
thought we were talking fog lights??? yet you mention SPOTS ON??? ;) :D :rolleyes:

maybe since you mention Corsa's the young chaps need to use some clearasil
then maybe they won't have SPOTS ON.

Oops.:o

I was talking about fogs. Honest. Text changed.;)

Scottie
31st January 2008, 11:05 PM
Oops.:o

I was talking about fogs. Honest. Text changed.;)

Spot On.:D :D ;) :p :p

AndyP & Lenore
31st January 2008, 11:07 PM
The only opinion that matters is the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations.

And that's not based on opinion. It's clearly laid down in law.

Although it's obviously not clear enough for some "scrotums".:D

A.;)

Sheilz
1st February 2008, 08:44 PM
What's ANPR?

duncan
1st February 2008, 08:46 PM
Automatic Number Plate Recognition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Number_Plate_Recognition

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2008, 08:48 PM
What's ANPR?

Pretty sure someone more informed will be along soon, however, ANPR = Automatic Number Plate Recognition system. As far as I know it's a camera system built into Police vehicles which automatically "looks" at number plates as the police vehicle is being driven along the road, or just parked at the side of the road. As soon as a "flagged" (registered stolen for example) number plate is spotted, the officers in the car are alerted.:D

Craig or MarkyC will no doubt know much more than me.;)

Craig
1st February 2008, 08:58 PM
as Andy and Duncan have said, it is Automatic Number Plate Recognition. However it does soooo much more. it holds info relating to uninsured drivers, people who are wanted on warrant, wanted for questioning, untaxed etc etc.

also forces can put info markers on saying they want to know where the car has been and what it has been doing... Also with so many fixed ANPR cameras, the police can work out where criminals are going and if there are any patterns.. They caught someone the other day using an uninsured car, cos they knew what way he was going to work and when he normally passed a certain point and laid in wait.. :cool:

it's one of the best pieces of technology to be given to the police in so many year.. :D

The Dogfather
1st February 2008, 10:01 PM
Police State! Police State!

They should use it and send the foglight retards telling them they've been seen and will be prosecuted next time :D

Great technology, not so sure about the face recognition software in CCTVs, but if it cuts down on crime then maybe it's for the best.

Sheilz
1st February 2008, 10:50 PM
as Andy and Duncan have said, it is Automatic Number Plate Recognition. However it does soooo much more. it holds info relating to uninsured drivers, people who are wanted on warrant, wanted for questioning, untaxed etc etc.

also forces can put info markers on saying they want to know where the car has been and what it has been doing... Also with so many fixed ANPR cameras, the police can work out where criminals are going and if there are any patterns.. They caught someone the other day using an uninsured car, cos they knew what way he was going to work and when he normally passed a certain point and laid in wait.. :cool:

it's one of the best pieces of technology to be given to the police in so many year.. :D

Sounds impressive. Are there checks in the system so that there has to be a reason why they're tagging a car? Say for example if the police received annon info about someone would they use this technology to check if there was any substance to it? I've a few clients I wouldn't mind being subjected to this kind of technology. This could save me weeks at work when I have to play Taggart:D

Craig
1st February 2008, 10:58 PM
Sounds impressive. Are there checks in the system so that there has to be a reason why they're tagging a car? Say for example if the police received annon info about someone would they use this technology to check if there was any substance to it? I've a few clients I wouldn't mind being subjected to this kind of technology. This could save me weeks at work when I have to play Taggart:D

well, if the person is for example selling drugs, or known to carry them, then this info is available and the vehicle will prob be stopped and searched.

if the person is say a registered sex offender, then they have certain restrictions and if they are in breach of these, then they will more than likely be stopped to check them out.

at the end of the day, the more "intel" the police have on those breaking the law, the more the can use to "disrupt" their antics.. :cool: :cool:

AeroJonny
2nd February 2008, 12:43 AM
I actually slagged someone off for having their 'wan**r' lights on yesterday...I guess I'm a convert. The fogs haven't been on since the last time it was foggy ;) ...but maybe that's because I've been driving a car with xenons since the last time it was foggy!!

KenL
2nd February 2008, 01:02 AM
ANPR!

Another reason to crack down on the tw*ts with the dodgy spacing and font, trying to look as "cool" as those drivers wit their fogs on...

Sheilz
2nd February 2008, 01:32 AM
ANPR!

Another reason to crack down on the tw*ts with the dodgy spacing and font, trying to look as "cool" as those drivers wit their fogs on...

On this subject I not long discovered that if you have an old prefix style reg there doesn't have to be a space between the first and remaining lettering.

Reg plates and how their composed have no impact on other road users and don't contribute to accidents. Personally I don't think that's an issue and would not want technology to be used for something like that. Where d'you stop? After all some people may be of the opinion anyone who modifies a car which without any mods at all can more than exceed the speed limit anyway, should also be targeted since under bonnet mods surely will make it faster suggesting some intent to break speed restriction and that has a huge potential to impact on other road users and pedestrians.

Live and let live. After all a reg plate is just a decorative mod and harms no one.

AeroJonny
2nd February 2008, 01:35 AM
ANPR!

Ask CraigD about my 'special' front plate!!!:rolleyes: ;) :eek: If you're at the karting, I'll put it on especially for you :p

KenL
2nd February 2008, 01:48 AM
Great, time for a rant :p

On this subject I not long discovered that if you have an old prefix style reg there doesn't have to be a space between the first and remaining lettering.

What, you mean if you alter spacing so that the reg mark is not easily recogniseable it is allowed?

What about changing the font, putting dots, strokes on the plate etc., is that allowed?

Reg plates and how their composed have no impact on other road users and don't contribute to accidents.

Yes, they may not cause accidents, but if I see, or am involved in an accident, it is important for me, or the police, to easily recognise the reg mark.

Additionally, people who alter plates may do so for unlawful reasons!

If you buy a plate and alter it so it makes a tenous link to your name, you ARE sad. It must easier just to have "your name", written at the top of your windscreen!

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2008, 02:18 AM
Why is that sadder than someone who puts graphics on their car? Or someone who colour codes? Or someone who puts a different set of wheels on - all wheels ultimately serve the same purpose? Or someone who changes their pedals for chrome?:confused:

Ultimately, it's just a mod. Done for the gratification of the owner. Nothing sad about that.;)

Sheilz
2nd February 2008, 02:59 AM
Great, time for a rant :p

What, you mean if you alter spacing so that the reg mark is not easily recogniseable it is allowed?

No. I said, and I said it quite clearly, old style prefix registrations do not need a space between the prefix and remaining lettering. Really, I would have expected any tw*t to make sense of that:p I made no reference to squashing or altering lettering to the point of it being illegible.

Yes, they may not cause accidents, but if I see, or am involved in an accident, it is important for me, or the police, to easily recognise the reg mark.

I think the police are intelligent enough to read joined up words. I'm sure literacy is one of the qualifications for joining though I cant be absolute about it.

Additionally, people who alter plates may do so for unlawful reasons!

I think if I was to change a plate for criminal purposes I'd just go for the fake reg on a bog standard plate rather than something that immediately draws attention to my plates. Much more sensible option. Did you not think of that?:p

If you buy a plate and alter it so it makes a tenous link to your name, you ARE sad. It must easier just to have "your name", written at the top of your windscreen!

Perhaps they are. perhaps they're not. I don't know them all and really wouldnt have the time to make assessments of enough individuals in order to label them as 'sad'. If you dont mind I'll just sit on the fence on that one.:p:D:D:D

sedgie
2nd February 2008, 03:14 AM
Well done sheilz:D :D :D :D :D

The Dogfather
2nd February 2008, 07:09 AM
Sheilz - It may seem like a small indiscretion, however we can't choose which rules apply to us. It just gives the Police reason to stop you and check you out, oh and to tell you to sort the spacing out.

Trouble is from what Craig is saying if you get stopped again they'll know you've already been told and it'll be a fine.

Mini Ecosse
2nd February 2008, 11:06 AM
Dark.

So why TF is everyone (from neds in Corsa's to Grandads in 1985 Rover 2000's) driving around in this recent spell of rubbish weather with their FOGS ON!!!!?!?!?!?!?:mad: :mad: :mad:

A.;)
You sure did open up a load of old wounds.
Great entertainment, well done Andy :) :)

The Bull
2nd February 2008, 06:25 PM
The ones that pi$$ me off are the neds that drive with the fogs on but the headlights off. Obviously just to look different and stand out from a crowd.

N12 JLK
3rd February 2008, 10:15 AM
[quote

I think the police are intelligent enough to read joined up words. I'm sure literacy is one of the qualifications for joining though I cant be absolute about it.

[/quote]

Are you sure:)
Ehhh we need Pretzel's and doughnuts

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/lesley12/chiefwiggum.jpg

KenL
3rd February 2008, 01:09 PM
For reference, here are the rules (including the penalties for non-compliance) on number plates:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/displayofnumberplates.pdf

jamesbeaumont
3rd February 2008, 09:11 PM
Dark.

A.;)

Strange, I cant remember the last time it snowed heavily but the visibility was only slightly reduced;)
Im glad you brought this up again because it is immensely irritating! I would say that side lights, with one not working in a nice combo with fog lights on with one of those out too, on the opposite side. Either or both of these lights misaligned also goes down a treat:eek: :p I actually wonder how many people realise that when they pull out the switch instead of rotating it or whatever, their fog lights come on?

Oh and apparently the police are in the process of a 4 week crack down on illegally spaced or otherwise altered plates with 3 points, thousand pound fine etc around the central belt.

stoney
3rd February 2008, 11:21 PM
come on the fogs keep them lit:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/s700ony/100_1991.jpg

KenL
4th February 2008, 12:02 PM
Oh and apparently the police are in the process of a 4 week crack down on illegally spaced or otherwise altered plates with 3 points, thousand pound fine etc around the central belt.

Fantastic ;)

Gismo
5th February 2008, 09:33 AM
come on the fogs keep them lit http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/s700ony/100_1991.jpg

Is it just me, or are your fog lights not even on in your piccie ;) :p :D

stoney
5th February 2008, 08:00 PM
Is it just me, or are your fog lights not even on in your piccie ;) :p :D

yes but my big ones are on which are ment 2 be fogs :p