PDA

View Full Version : Cracked spotlight

Sheilz
28th January 2008, 01:18 AM
One of my spotslights is cracked and looking a bit grim due to dirt getting behind the glass. Can the glass be replaced or do I have to get another spot. If it means replacing the whole light I was thinking that the spots on minisport (four on bar) would be a cheaper alternative to the bmw ones. There's a considerable difference in price which makes me wonder about the quality of them.
Can the wiring of the original ones be used if I replaced them with these?
Any advice or tips welcome.

Craig
28th January 2008, 05:51 PM
I was going to ask that very question (re the quality of the minisport ones) as I was a bit sceptical due to the difference in price. so hope you get an answer.. :D

sedgie
28th January 2008, 06:15 PM
I have the minisport ones on my car....had them on now for 2 years....no had any probs with them:D

Craig
28th January 2008, 06:46 PM
sounds good... :D

Sweeney
28th January 2008, 07:39 PM
Its a new spotlight if you get it from BMW, they don't replace just the lense/glass

Sheilz
28th January 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks.

Can BMW spots be bought individually? Does anyone know if the wiring for the BMW ones will work for others and would I have to cough up for JC to fix them up? Anything to avoid their charges!

Questions, questions! Nothing but questions!

Sweeney
28th January 2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah they sell them invidually but they are still extorionate £80-120 price range comes to mind.

Gismo
28th January 2008, 09:29 PM
Sheilz,
The fact you already have a set wired up and working through the car's system it's a simple job to change the spots.
What you'd pay BMW for one you can buy a set from any of the tuning sites and then just use the exisiting wiring.
If you go the aftermarket route you will have to change out both spot lights, easy enough to use the exisiting BMW bracket

Sheilz
28th January 2008, 09:43 PM
Thank you. Don't want to buy ones that nee all the wiring re-done. I always liked the Hella ones but think they're only available in black and black isn't right for specy. I followed the link in the wanted forum re: spoiler and noted the chap is selling a three spot bar - £250+ and that didnt include the spots!
Will have a squint about since I've seen a couple of different styles that look better than the BMW ones and defo cheaper.

Gismo
28th January 2008, 09:45 PM
I wired in my 2 extra spots by simply splicing into the BMW spot wires, but, i did increase the wire size to accomodate the extra current required to run the 4 spots

Sheilz
28th January 2008, 09:55 PM
I wired in my 2 extra spots by simply splicing into the BMW spot wires, but, i did increase the wire size to accomodate the extra current required to run the 4 spots

Ehr! I didnt know you spoke Greek! ;):o:D

Big Gordy
29th January 2008, 09:24 AM
Hey Sheilz,Fairy has a set of spotlights for sale over in the "For Sale" section (strangely enough:rolleyes: ) for 60 quid;) could be just what your after:D

Sheilz
30th January 2008, 09:59 PM
Hey Sheilz,Fairy has a set of spotlights for sale over in the "For Sale" section (strangely enough:rolleyes: ) for 60 quid;) could be just what your after:D

Cheers will have a peep

Sheilz
23rd February 2008, 09:55 PM
I know this is a really dumb question but I just need to check. The pairs in four spotlights - the two outer = one and the two inner = two. Just Munro is going to change the cracked one tomorrow and I thought I'd make sure I'd got it right incase he ends up taking off one from each pair!

AndyP & Lenore
23rd February 2008, 10:00 PM
I know this is a really dumb question but I just need to check. The pairs in four spotlights - the two outer = one and the two inner = two. Just Munro is going to change the cracked one tomorrow and I thought I'd make sure I'd got it right incase he ends up taking off one from each pair!

WTF? Shielz, is there a question in there somewhere?:confused:

A.:confused:

Sheilz
23rd February 2008, 10:13 PM
Aye! Two inner = a pair, two outer = a pair ? Am looking for someone to tell me I'm either incredibly thick or to confirm that I've guessed right :o:D

AndyP & Lenore
23rd February 2008, 10:33 PM
Ah. OK. Not a clue.:confused:

But I'm sure you're not thick.;)

A.:D

Gismo
24th February 2008, 03:35 AM
Yes, the two outer are a pair, though, if bought as a set of four there won't be any difference :)

Sheilz
25th February 2008, 11:38 PM
Cheers!

Got the cracked one and its partner changed yesterday. Took the best part of two hours to get one of the bolts off. Had to drill it into pieces due to the corrosion. Even the cracked one was in a fair old mess of rust between the inner and outer pieces though not discernable to the eye. I guess the BMW ones aren't properly sealed for water/condensation to do that much damage. Will have to get another two since the two originals left will no doubt be just as bad. The wiring itself was ok though Munro had to but on mannie and wifie connectors because of the way the two different systems are set up but other than than was a pretty straight forward job as suggested.