PDA

View Full Version : Roadworks and eejits in vans...

KenL
27th January 2008, 09:30 PM
What is it with the way people behave when roadworks are approaching?

There are roadworks on the A1 at the moment. Why do people get into the left lane more than a mile before the lane restriction starts, even well before there are any signs warning of roadworks ahead :confused:

The other day, I was moving along in the outside lane (at about 30mph), whilst everyone else was moving at about 10mph in the left hand lane. This was ~1 mile before the works and before there is any sign saying what the works were.

Some self-appointed guardian of the public (AKA a tw*t) in a white van, pulls out in front of me (I had to brake sharply) and proceeded to drive along at the same speed as the rest of the traffic in the inside lane.

Once the signs pointed out there were in fact road works, I merged into the left lane.

The van, stayed in the outside lane, doing "his duty" until the last minute. He then went round a roundabout in the wrong lane:rolleyes:

Anyway, why are British people such eejits when ever there are roadworks about. I just don't see the point of everyone sitting in a single lane when there are 2 lanes available!

The Dogfather
27th January 2008, 10:04 PM
Ken, it sounds like everyone was waiting in turn whilst you were queue jumping by overtaking. That's why the merge in turn roadworks are far better, stops people overtaking a cutting in ahead of everyone else.

I've done the same as the van driver, I didn't pull out on someone though. I just stayed in the outside lane keeping level with the car on the inside on me. Had a few upset BMW and Merc drivers behind me but no one queue jumped.

john
27th January 2008, 10:37 PM
Ken, it sounds like everyone was waiting in turn whilst you were queue jumping by overtaking. That's why the merge in turn roadworks are far better, stops people overtaking a cutting in ahead of everyone else.

I've done the same as the van driver, I didn't pull out on someone though. I just stayed in the outside lane keeping level with the car on the inside on me. Had a few upset BMW and Merc drivers behind me but no one queue jumped.
Your admiting to that? its not que jumping its doing what the signs say:rolleyes:

I get the same most days on my way home, the is a bus lane that does not start until after my turn off and most Aberdeen drivers never go in the inside lane because twats will not let you merge and there is always an eegit tries to block me from using the inside lane even though its meant to be use and I am turing off anyway.:confused:

AndyP & Lenore
27th January 2008, 10:39 PM
Ken, I'm with you.

It's only seen as queue jumping because everyone who sits in the left hand lane before it's necessary is wrong. If we all played by the same rules, and pulled into the left when the cones required it of us, or if you wish - say 100 yards before the cones force you in - there would be no problem.

I don't see anywhere in the highway code that states you should move into the left lane as soon as you see a line of traffic, regardless of the reason for that line of traffic.

We've all paid our road tax, we're entitled to use all the available road space, providing it's within the highway code rules.

I was held up by a bus one time on the A8 approach to Edinburgh. The big sh!te straddled the white line in the middle of the road, stopping me from going past, then he took the slip road for the airport, straight across the roundabout, up the other slip road and re-joined the A8 600 yards further on, jumping the queue, and immediately straddled the white line again. It's at times like that I regret not carrying a 12bore shotgun in the glove box.

A.:mad:

Scottie
27th January 2008, 10:50 PM
If it is a two lane Carraige Way I will sit on either lane depending on how the traffic is flowing coming up to the road works. Not bothered really either way.

On 3 lane carraige or 4 lane carraige down South when the traffic is really busy and merging because 1 or 2 lans are closed more often than not going right over to the left lane you will get through them quicker no idea why it just does.

AeroJonny
28th January 2008, 04:44 AM

You seem proud to have obstructed other motorists with this little bout of vigilanteism.:confused: It's this sort of behaviour on our roads which causes people to become frustrated and in many cases make a rash decision as a direct result. If you want to crawl along at the same pace as the slower lane...DRIVE IN IT and let everyone else get on with their journeys in peace.

AeroJonny
28th January 2008, 04:46 AM
It's at times like that I regret not carrying a 12bore shotgun in the glove box.

A.:mad:

Sawn off?? Gala's No.1 gangster :cool:

illegalhunter
28th January 2008, 05:28 AM
If your stupid enough to sit in the que ,while the outside lane is still moving , you deserve to be cut it by white van man.

The Dogfather
28th January 2008, 08:30 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority, fair enough. I don't think its right to queue jump and I'm not changing my opinion.

I will agree that people get in lane far too early, which is why people can charge down the outside of 2 miles of traffic then cut in at the last minute. All I'm doing is not merging till the last minute but also not jumping the queue, I'm nearly always in the outside lane away and I wouldn't pull out there deliberately. People who charge down the outside cause just as much frustration if not more, all I upset is Mercs and BMW, and it would also seem MINI drivers ;).

It would seem I'm doing pretty much what you lot are advocating (staying in dual lanes).

However, I did also say that the merge in turn signs work better. You know the ones that tell people to stay in lane until the last minute. Now if this was how all roadworks were handled then the problem would go away.

john
28th January 2008, 09:10 AM
It would seem I'm doing pretty much what you lot are advocating (staying in dual lanes).

By stradling the white line to block the other lane?:confused:

Gismo
28th January 2008, 10:09 AM
I've seen it on numerous occasions that drivers in the outside lane actually making a right hand turn.

I generally always get into the left hand lane as soon as possible, but, only when the road signs tell me what's going on, if the signs are merge in turn then i still get in early, but, always allow the others to merge as instructed.

But, it does annoy me when folks toot ther horn cause i let someone in, but even worse, i can't abide drivers who actually block others progress by straddling the lanes or by whatever other means they deem fit. All this on a merge in turn situation.

Folks who deliberately hammer down the outside lane when no merge in turn signs are in operation don't deserve to be let in by anyone, i've even seen police turn them around and send them back down the other side to come back and try again :D

My, how good am I :rolleyes: ;) :D

The Dogfather
28th January 2008, 10:20 AM
By stradling the white line to block the other lane?:confused:

No, I wouldn't do that. I just sit in the outside lane moving slowly with the traffic on the inside lanes. I might overtake one or two cars but not hundreds as some do. Oh, I wouldn't try this the moment the traffic starts queing, too much risk of someone rear ending you.

Gismo
28th January 2008, 10:35 AM
No, I wouldn't do that. I just sit in the outside lane moving slowly with the traffic on the inside lanes
I don't think you should do that at all, just frustrates other users and also hinders folks who may just be making a right turn ahead.

The Dogfather
28th January 2008, 10:37 AM
Oh, if there's a right turn then I wouldn't. Otherwise I'm just leading by example ;).

Sheilz
28th January 2008, 11:42 AM
Folks who deliberately hammer down the outside lane when no merge in turn signs are in operation don't deserve to be let in by anyone, i've even seen police turn them around and send them back down the other side to come back and try again :D

I think that's just plain daft. I've gone down the outside lane and sat in the queue too. depending on whether I know there's roadworks ahead. The police should actually be urging the traffic to use both lanes for as long as possible instead of putting people back. On the A90 its really easy to end up sitting in ridiculously long lines of traffic without knowing why. If there's no blue flashing lights ahead suggesting there's an accident I use the outside lane. If there's blue lights I sit in the inside lane incase ambulances and/or fire engines need to get through. Sometimes if one driver uses their savvy and sticks in the outside lane others follow so cutting down on the length of the tailback.

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2008, 12:04 PM
I think that's just plain daft. I've gone down the outside lane and sat in the queue too. depending on whether I know there's roadworks ahead. The police should actually be urging the traffic to use both lanes for as long as possible instead of putting people back. On the A90 its really easy to end up sitting in ridiculously long lines of traffic without knowing why. If there's no blue flashing lights ahead suggesting there's an accident I use the outside lane. If there's blue lights I sit in the inside lane incase ambulances and/or fire engines need to get through. Sometimes if one driver uses their savvy and sticks in the outside lane others follow so cutting down on the length of the tailback.

Totally agree with that shielz.

A.;)

The Dogfather
28th January 2008, 12:36 PM
What does the highway code say? anyone know?

Moonshine
28th January 2008, 01:05 PM
What does the highway code say? anyone know?

The Highway Code

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070523.jpg

288-307: Road works, level crossings and tramways

Road works

When the ‘Road Works Ahead’ sign is displayed, you will need to be more watchful and look for additional signs providing more specific instructions. Observe all signs - they are there for your safety and the safety of road workers.

you MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit
use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct
do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic
take extra care near cyclists and motorcyclists as they are vulnerable to skidding on grit, mud or other debris at road works
where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134)
do not drive through an area marked off by traffic cones
watch out for traffic entering or leaving the works area, but do not be distracted by what is going on there. Concentrate on the road ahead, not the road works
bear in mind that the road ahead may be obstructed by the works or by slow moving or stationary traffic
keep a safe distance - there could be queues in front134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Smurf
28th January 2008, 01:49 PM
I generally always get into the left hand lane as soon as possible, but, only when the road signs tell me what's going on, if the signs are merge in turn then i still get in early, but, always allow the others to merge as instructed.

I'm with you on this one BS!!

Looks like we're right compared to the Highway code too...

Although I'm not saying I'm perfect, I just don't like people who see a queue, think they are somewhow above sitting in it, hammer down the outside, then force their way in at the front of all those patient people... ;) ;) :D

euan
28th January 2008, 02:23 PM
OK, I have two views on this.

There is a stretch of road where the A3 merges from 3 to 2 lanes. Most people merge in turn, most actually get in early as the outside and middle lane are usually traveling at the same speed. However, when it's really busy, people lane jump all over the place and it gets REALLY slow as a result. If people would stay in the middle lane and just merge in, it would be fine.

Now, the other situation. Motorway slip roads. The M40 to the M25 is a prime example of this. The slip road is about a mile long as in rush hour bit's just a stationary queue. However, people will always bomb past the line of traffic and cut in at the last minute. Last week, someone did this behind me, but the traffic at the front of the queue was stationary and hadn't moved for some time so this idiot was then stopped on the inside lane of the motorway with traffic bearing down on him at 70MPH, most of which were lorries. It's at the brow of a hill so there is no clear line of sight either. In most of the accidents I see on motorways it's this late cutting in at speed that causes accidents.

So, I think what I'm saying is, in roadworks or similar merge in turn situations, use all available road. However on motorway(and fast dual carriageway) slips, i wish people would get into lane early.

Driving is all about anticipation of what's coming, and the appropriate speed for the situation, and using the right bit of road for the right purpose at the right time.

KenL
28th January 2008, 02:34 PM
Although I'm not saying I'm perfect, I just don't like people who see a queue, think they are somewhow above sitting in it, hammer down the outside, then force their way in at the front of all those patient people... ;) ;) :D

Agreed, blasting along and forcing your way in at the last minute is rude.

Staying in the outside lane and passing other traffic (at a safe speed) is not, if it is a mile or more before the roadworks.

There are two lanes for a reason ;)

stoney
28th January 2008, 05:51 PM
well i have 2 say i have done both i have gone down and cut in but also i will sit out in the lane if busy for road works at the same speed as the rest of the cars why not ?? i dont shout at people for doing it i just think the people that fly down are twats just the same as the ones that drive in the middle lane of a moterway at 60mph with not a thing around them

KenL
28th January 2008, 05:59 PM
well i have 2 say i have done both i have gone down and cut in but also i will sit out in the lane if busy for road works at the same speed as the rest of the cars why not ?? i dont shout at people for doing it i just think the people that fly down are twats just the same as the ones that drive in the middle lane of a moterway at 60mph with not a thing around them

Does that not make you a hypocrit?

The Dogfather
28th January 2008, 06:09 PM
Good debate this :D

Gismo
28th January 2008, 06:59 PM
Worms, can, opened :rolleyes: will be watching closely to make sure all sides play fair :D

Scottie
28th January 2008, 07:09 PM
I forgot to say in my post.

That when I am in my gas guzzling 4x4 towing my huge twin axle caravan

I make a point of staying out in the second lane as long as possible just to make sure I pi$$ of any drivers behind me trying to shoot up the and beat the q's only for them to create a bottle neck at the road works.

Craig
28th January 2008, 07:22 PM

I make a point of staying out in the second lane as long as possible just to make sure I pi$$ of any drivers behind me trying to shoot up the and beat the q's only for them to create a bottle neck at the road works.

NICE. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Caravanners Rule. :cool: (oh aye, that's another discussion altogether..;) )

KenL
28th January 2008, 08:21 PM

Are caravanners allowed in the outside lane?

AndyP & Lenore
28th January 2008, 08:24 PM

I'm gonna assume that's a cheeky wee question asked with tongue in cheek.;)

A.:D

KenL
28th January 2008, 08:32 PM
I'm gonna assume that's a cheeky wee question asked with tongue in cheek.;)

A.:D

No, it wasn't :p

Scottie
28th January 2008, 09:11 PM

wis waiting on that question.

Are caravanners allowed in the fast lane well no not really.

On a 3 lane road then we are allowed into lane 2.

On a 4 lane road we are allowed in lane 2 and then 3 if need be.

On a 2 lane road we are allowed in lane 2 the fast lane only if we are passing a extreme slow vehicle like a big lorry type thing.

We very rarely go into the fast lane in a 3 or 4 lane road only if a situation meant we had to and if we do we never hold up anything.

duncan
28th January 2008, 09:18 PM
If the roadworks are actually signed properly, with the "Merge in Turn ahead" signs, I'll use the outside lane, if the circumstances are right.

However, if I see an @rse hurtling down the outside lane, and they've gone past the sign MERGE NOW, and still trying to gain an extra 200 yards before merging just at the cones, then I'll try my best not to let them in.

Petty, but hey.

Gismo
28th January 2008, 09:21 PM
Are caravanners allowed in the fast lane
Which lane is that then :rolleyes: i thought they were all the same speed ;)

Scottie
28th January 2008, 09:23 PM
Which lane is that then :rolleyes: i thought they were all the same speed ;)

in the olden days which I am sure you will remember (being older than myself):p :p remember when motorways were first open:p the outside lane was called the fast lane.;) ;)

The Dogfather
28th January 2008, 09:30 PM
Fi, I'm pretty sure its never been called the fast lane officially (mind you I never studied ancient history :p ) . I think fast lane is a 'nickname' that's become part of the language.

Plus, I'm sure Alan realises that you're refering to the far right overtaking lane......

The Dogfather
28th January 2008, 09:31 PM
On that basis when a Caravan pulls into a lane does it become the 'slow causing a tailback' lane :D

AeroJonny
28th January 2008, 09:33 PM

I don't see how this is any different to VB's claim to fame. It's simply causing an obstruction on the road and it's only mildly less obnoxious than straddling the white line.

The Dogfather
28th January 2008, 09:39 PM
Yes, but I'm only obstructing ignorant queue jumpers who should burn in hell fires for eternity.......

Ooo, just come over all catholic for a moment

Scottie
28th January 2008, 11:03 PM
I don't see how this is any different to VB's claim to fame. It's simply causing an obstruction on the road and it's only mildly less obnoxious than straddling the white line.

Good come back you wee Mini muncher. Watch out I don't run over the top of you in my big ugly obnoxious lovely comfy 4x4.;) :p

Scottie
28th January 2008, 11:04 PM
Fi, I'm pretty sure its never been called the fast lane officially (imd you I never studied ancient history :p . I think fast lane is a 'nickname' that's become part of the language.

Plus, I'm sure Alan realises that you're refering to the far right overtaking lane......

that's what I meant;) ;)

stoney
29th January 2008, 06:16 PM
Does that not make you a hypocrit?

mabie so :p

but hay i had a lorry driver try to run me off the road one day when driving at the same speed as others around me

but 2 be honist if you dont know the road works are there then you do not know you are skiping a Q

but its just depends on what i am driving and what is the problem ahead :) :o

N12 JLK
29th January 2008, 10:35 PM
we've been in roadworks too:)

euan
5th February 2008, 03:25 PM
Seems that the wookie had a similar experience.

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/098-truck-in-the-middle-with-you/?text

Gismo
6th February 2008, 04:09 AM
Seems that the wookie had a similar experience.

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/098-truck-in-the-middle-with-you/?text

Excellent :)